New Orleans Cannot get there Sunday Hurricane K

MSEm

Interstates around New Orleans are changing to "counter-flow". That means you can only drive out of the city, you cannot drive into the city on an interstate. Also South Mississippi may be using counter-flow on I-10 and I-59 to head only East and North of the Mississippi Coast. Officals expect to shut down the New Orleans Early Sunday morning. I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Good web link. http://www.wdsu.com for News/weather in New Orleans. Pray of us onthe Mississippi coast and Lower LA.

Hey neighbor. My son's on his way from Back Bay where he just moved his boat from the marina.....coming over to board up mom's house. Good luck to all of us!:)

Deja Vu Cotton :(

You guys stay safe... lots of good friends down there, hope you all come through this with very minimal damage... please keep us posted when you can and let us know you are okay. Although it's bad this thing is moving so painfully slow, in a way it's good because it gives you alot of time to prepare... just get out of there!!! Tom and Cheryl are in Biloxi this weekend, hopefully they will get out of there soon... traffic is going to be a nightmare!!!

Hey neighbor. My son's on his way from Back Bay where he just moved his boat from the marina.....coming over to board up mom's house. Good luck to all of us!:)

Cotton, I hope you don't stay home for this one ! May not be a good idea this time. Stay safe !!

Here's a link to some traffic cameras here in Baton Rouge. Traffic is already getting heavy going westbound as of 2:45. If a decision is made to evacuate New Orleans or a lot more of the southern parishes, they will probably put the counter-flow plan in effect which will have all lanes of I-10 and I-12 through Baton Rouge open to westbound traffic only. I think I-59 and I-55 already are under counter-flow. If you are thinking about coming up this way, leave early and get plenty of gas before you reach here. I was just out and some stations are reportedly already running out of gas. It was a mob scene at some of them with very long lines, and those were probably just the locals filling up. I doubt that there are any hotel/motel rooms available around here at this point.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/traffic/

Cotton you stay safe.

We were in Gulfport week before last and were looking forward to coming back to spend a few days after the Hilodays. Our condo is right across from the beach. I can sit on my balcony and look right at the ocean. Kind of reminds me of being on my balcony on the cruise ship. Except for the cars zooming down the beach highway. Hope its still there when we get back down there.

If any of you guys from the coast are up heading up this way for higher ground give me a shout. I have heard that some of the hotels in Memphis and Tunica are getting calls from people on the coast coming up here to get away from Katrina.

Good luck to all, including those that are in the area and those who are hoping to get on that cruise ship on time.

I feel lucky that we were able to make it to New Orleans in July for our cruise and that the ship was only delayed one day due to Hurricane Dennis.

we are in Collierville, Tn (not far from you). Hubby was born and raised on the coast and lived just "over the tracks" in Long Beach. They rode out Camille when he was about 9. The last of his family from there just moved to Madison (outside of Jackson, Ms) so we don't have to worry so much anymore. Now all we have to worry about it is our precious Carnival ships!!

After 10 years of living in Gulfport, I had enough of hurricanes...but hubby still loves them.

Please be safe rather than sorry, all you in the South. No one will think less of you for getting out of there rather than taking your chances and riding it out. Nothing's more precious than your lives.

Well, except maybe for your cruise tickets ... :D

We're all thinking of you!

I'm in Hattiesburg now. Got to a friend's house about an hour ago. Thx for everybody's concern. (I finally convinced my son to leave, and he's at another friend's house in H'burg. That was not an easy task. He's hardheaded - not at all like his easy-going mama.);)

We sat on my porch for awhile, looking out at the Gulf, wondering if we'll have that view again. It's just SO hard leaving home.

I'm in Hattiesburg now. Got to a friend's house about an hour ago. Thx for everybody's concern. (I finally convinced my son to leave, and he's at another friend's house in H'burg. That was not an easy task. He's hardheaded - not at all like his easy-going mama.);)

We sat on my porch for awhile, looking out at the Gulf, wondering if we'll have that view again. It's just SO hard leaving home.

Cotton, we are so glad to hear that you are safe(er)! I can't imagine where your son would get his hard-headedness.:rolleyes: I hope your home remains as you left it and you can return soon.

After 10 years of living in Gulfport, I had enough of hurricanes...but hubby still loves them.

It's funny how exciting a hurricane is. I love them too. I live about 4 miles from the Gulf outside Mobile and have been through many and I still love a good storm. It's just such a shame they cause so much damage and heartache for so many. And I can do without the power outages but I certainly understand the excitement and love of a powerful storm. Hurricanes do have a way of bringing people together.

We are headed your way come October 6th to sail out on the Holiday for a long weekend.

I lived next to Bellingrath Gardens ( on East Fowl River) for a short time when I was a child. My brother and sister are grads from Theodore. (Dad was a marine surveyor for Alabama Drydock)

Sadly I won't have time to do any "old homeplace" visiting on this trip. (if it is even still here) That was 45 years old.

I hope "Katrina" leaves you guys alone.

Cotton, glad you made it to Hattiesburg without too much waiting. My son lives there in Hattiesburg also and works for the newspaper there. With all the news about the hurricane, he has to stick around. I just called him to tell him to batten his hatches also and stock up on flashlights, canned foods, and water. Hattiesburg can suffer a little bit from hurricanes also with the winds and hard rains. So, like I "ordered" my son to do, you and your friend be safe and just stay inside. Glad you got away from the target of everything.

Hattiesburg can suffer a little bit from hurricanes also with the winds and hard rains.

I'll have to disagree with you there. There's no little bit about it. I've lived in Gulfport for many years and Hattiesburg for many years. Hattiesburg can suffer A LOT from hurricanes. The only thing we aren't subject to is storm surge but the hurricane force winds as high as 100 mph or more have happened this far in. Then there's the tornados that spawn.

In 1979, Hurricane Frederick took an unusual path and hit us much harder than the gulf coast. We didn't have power for 2-3 weeks, no water, no gas and extensive damage. I lived in Gulfport for Hurricane Elena in 1985 and it wasn't as bad as Frederick was in Hattiesburg. We may be inland a ways but if this storm hits where predicted, we'll be in the NE quadrant which is the worst place to be.

I worry for my parents in Gulfport because they refuse to evacuate. However, I'm pretty worried about what we may be in for here as well.

Archived