Alaska 6/21 on the Pearl

rungod

My wife and two boys (11 and 16) are booked on the Pearl. Looking for hints and advice, good and bad, on ship and ports. We are celebrating 20 years married and really looking forward to this trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and two boys (11 and 16) are booked on the Pearl. Looking for hints and advice, good and bad, on ship and ports. We are celebrating 20 years married and really looking forward to this trip!

Congrats! I cannot help but am planning on booking the Pearl for August of 2016 with my hubby and two boys who will be 9 and 11. Hope you do not mind me following your topic!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That cruise and the Pearl, both excellent choices. Although we like them all, the Pearl is our favorite. Pearl ha an excellent buffet, Top forward Spinnaker observation area and lounge, Great Outdoors rear open grill eating area, bowling alley, rock climbing wall, deck 11 port side all the way forward bridge viewing room. It is a nice size ship for us. Medium sized, wonderful crew, comfortable. That cruise and the Pearl are what got us addicted.

Join your roll call! Good way to start the cruise fun early...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2146365

Love the ship--looking forward to this cruise a few weeks after you.

Also, you'll be cruising during the summer solstice--shortest night of the year! Something like 18 hours of daylight...

Click the link below for info regarding Alaska. Bear in mind this forum is not NCL exclusive.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Everything you wanted to know about the Pearl but were afraid to ask.

Click the link below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/norwegian/pearl

DW and I cruise the Pearl to Alaska in 2008. Have to say it was my favorite cruise. Outstanding ship, crew and scenery.

Is there a list that shows what piers or docks each ship is assigned to?

Not really. It it frequently not the same twice. Depends on other ships in port as to where you will dock that trip. And you won't know which side of the will ship will be the docking side until you get there. All the Alaska ports are fairly small though. Easy walk to activities. Otherwise a shuttle will be available.

We are just off the Pearl about a week ago. We did not find it necessary to go to any of the specialty restaurants. Buffet is good enough and food is plentiful. We enjoyed the Summer Palace MDR for breakfast as a change (and slightly better food). Favorite foods in the MDR were the salads, tomato soup, apple pie and the warm chocolate volcano dessert! Kids loved the mozzerella sticks at O'Sheehans.

A great spot that is relatively unknown and under-used is all the way forward on Deck 14. Go to the fore of Deck 13 to find the stairs to the "Sundeck" and then go to the front of the ship. It's the only outdoor deck area at the front of the ship, and a great spot when you're coming into a port, and to see the navigational equipment, and to peak down on the forward-facing cabins/balconies that I assume belong to the captain and his crew.