Genoa - Cruising out of Genoa, Milan stay

Iluvcruising2

Alright, here is where I need some views and advice.

The plan is to take a cruise out of Genoa in late 2015, on the MSC Preziosa. I think the sailing departs at 1800hrs.

We will be in London before the cruise. The plan is to fly in the day before the cruise to Milan, stay a night, and transfer to Genoa on the cruise day.

Originally we wanted to stay in Genoa the day before, however, there are so few flights from London to Genoa during Nov/Dec 2015, I found it difficult to arrange. A quick search reveals that there are many more flights from London to Milan Linate, so the transfer would be easier.

Questions:

1. Staying in Milan for one night - any recommendations? We need a room for 4 (2 adults and 2 kids), preferably near the train station so that we can take the inter-city train to Genoa the next morning.

2. Inter-city train from Milan to Genoa - we read that it is quite an easy journey, takes between 1.5 to 2 hrs, and fairly frequent. Any views on this, especially on making this journey on the cruise day itself?

3. Upon reaching Genoa train station, I assume it is easy to get to the cruise port. Correct?

Any views or advise would be most appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Alright, here is where I need some views and advice.

The plan is to take a cruise out of Genoa in late 2015, on the MSC Preziosa. I think the sailing departs at 1800hrs.

We will be in London before the cruise. The plan is to fly in the day before the cruise to Milan, stay a night, and transfer to Genoa on the cruise day.

Originally we wanted to stay in Genoa the day before, however, there are so few flights from London to Genoa during Nov/Dec 2015, I found it difficult to arrange. A quick search reveals that there are many more flights from London to Milan Linate, so the transfer would be easier.

Questions:

1. Staying in Milan for one night - any recommendations? We need a room for 4 (2 adults and 2 kids), preferably near the train station so that we can take the inter-city train to Genoa the next morning.

2. Inter-city train from Milan to Genoa - we read that it is quite an easy journey, takes between 1.5 to 2 hrs, and fairly frequent. Any views on this, especially on making this journey on the cruise day itself?

3. Upon reaching Genoa train station, I assume it is easy to get to the cruise port. Correct?

Any views or advise would be most appreciated. Thank you.

2 - You should have no problems with making the journey on the day itself. Trains are regular from Milano Centrale to Genova. There are high speed trains (frecciabianca), inter-city trains and regional trains that connect the two cities.

3 - You can easily walk from Genova Piazza Principe station to the cruise terminal. If you are taking the inter-city train, the first station it stops at in Genova is Piazza Principe so no reason to go to Brignole.

We have done the train from Milan to Genoa for a pre cruise stay...since DW and I are not big fans of Milan. Once in Genoa you would want a taxi to get to the cruise port (it is a short ride) or possibly to your hotel (if you decide to stay in Genoa). Keep in mind that Genoa is quite hilly so a short distance on a map might be more difficult to walk then you would expect. I also can not miss an opportunity to sing our praises for the wonderful Aquarium in Genoa (only a few blocks from the cruise ship pier) which is a world-class facility.

Hank