Dubrovnik excursion advice

Hi again,

Sailing on Majesty in September.

Can anyone advise on the best type of trip into Dubrovnik. Is it worth a guided tour to get the most out of the place, what are any `must see`spots etc. I appreciate these things can be subjective but any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

You can get a bus or taxi to the town from the dock. When we were there a couple of years ago, it was 10€ but if you share with another couple it works out very reasonable.

I recommend walking the walls. You can take your time and there is a cafe up there. The cathedral is nice to see too. Nice cafes and restaurants on the waterfront.

I think that how you find Dubrovnik depends on how many cruise ships are alongside at the same time.

We were there on DREAM, and next to us was one of those 'shopping trolley' things. Dubrovnik Town was mobbed, and I expect that all of the organised excursion venues will have been mobbed too.

Dubrovnik Town must be a very nice place once the ships have sailed. I'd say the same for some of the Caribbean destinations too.

Dubrovnik Town must be a very nice place once the ships have sailed. I'd say the same for some of the Caribbean destinations too.

Yes we found that in St Maarten - 6 ships in, about 20,000 people :eek: It really put me off the island, although I know loats of people love it.

Dubrovnik - always busy - just grin and bare it, certainly not to be missed. Very easy to do your own, use the taxis - saves you loads of time. The funicular is very worthwhile - terrific views, and of course the city walls.

Enjoy !

Dubrovnik - always busy - just grin and bare it, certainly not to be missed. Very easy to do your own, use the taxis - saves you loads of time. The funicular is very worthwhile - terrific views, and of course the city walls.

Enjoy !

And the cafe at the top is very reasonable - and took our Clarity Card too so we didn't bother with any Kuna! :)

We did a little boat excursion from the harbour which is at the opposite end of the Main Street from the main gate into Dubrovnik. It took us along the coast and then around an island and stopped at a spot where we could look through the "glass bottom boat" to see fish, etc. Quite nice and relaxing after walking the walls.

Be careful that you don't mix up Euros and Kuna. I did....and it was an expensive beer and coffee.... Or a big tip! :eek:

As mentioned previously taxis were still 10 Euros each way in August 2014. Pick up just off the ship and drop just outside the walls. Walk through the gate and your in the main street. More or less everything feeds off of this. We were in the city by 09.30 and everything was reasonably quiet then. Definitely got a lot busier as the morning went on. Very nice place to walk around. Great views from the top of the walls. Nice place just to wander around.

You can catch a bus just outside the dock which will drop you off 20yds from the foot of the cable car. We were there in June and had to wait 40 minutes for the ride but the view from the top is well worth it.

Be mindful of freelance cab drivers who approach the queue and offer a speedy ascent. No cheaper than the cable car and quite possibly a lot dearer than booking a conventional cab from dockside.

When you return and get off the cable car just to the right is a pathway that leads straight into the town proper. Took us about 10 minutes.

Wear shoes with some grip as Dubrovnik is heavily cobbled and they can be slippery.

Getting back to the ship is another simple cheap 15 minute bus ride.