Cabin availability question...

StarFlyr

We're on the Mayan adventure on Feb 3rd. In just checking the Oceania website it says some cabins are "sold out" and some are on "wait list". I understand "sold out", but wondering about wait list. I would assume any cabin level that said wait list has no rooms available at this moment. So are these wait listed cabins, passengers that hope to upgrade to a higher level.

On another line that we've cruised on, they use "guaranteed" or something like that for passengers that will accept a free upgrade in order to vacate a cabin for a later sale. Are these wait listed cabin passengers hoping to also get a free upgrade?

Yes and no.

The differences between Sold-Out and Wait-List has to do with the percentage of Passengers who will statistically cancel.

Cruise Companies keep very strict track of the when, why and how of Cancellations because the Ship sailing with an empty cabin is anathema to them.

After all of the cabins in a given Category are spoken for, they accept reservations on a Wait List basis, until the number of passengers "reserved" exceeds the number of cancellations which they expect will come.

If the Revenue Department chooses to do some up-selling in the interim, just to ease the congestion, mind you, :rolleyes:, it's usually a happy thing on both sides of the equation.

Edited by StanandJim

We have a cabin assigned on the cruise in question (A1 category). It now shows that classification along with several other categories either wait listed or sold out. Would (could) they switch my status to wait listed?

AFAIK, I've never been on a cruise with so many cabin levels as wait listed. Do wait listed passengers have to pay upfront before being assigned a cabin?

Thanks for the reply. We're now holding our breath. This feels a little like the kid's game we used to do (musical chairs).

We have a cabin assigned on the cruise in question (A1 category). It now shows that classification along with several other categories either wait listed or sold out. Would (could) they switch my status to wait listed?

Not a chance.

If you have a booking for a particular cabin number, i.e. you did not buy a "Guarantee", then that cabin is yours unless you choose to give it up.

People who make a Wait List Reservation know what they are buying into, ahead of time.

AFAIK, I've never been on a cruise with so many cabin levels as wait listed. Do wait listed passengers have to pay upfront before being assigned a cabin?

Yes, one must make a Deposit in order to be on the Wait List.

Thanks for the reply. We're now holding our breath. This feels a little like the kid's game we used to do (musical chairs).

Exhale. There is no need for you to be concerned at all. Your Reservation is confirmed and in place. If any reshuffling is required as the cabins are assigned, the process won't effect you, unless you want it to.

* Occasionally, if demand is very great, the Cruise Line may approach reserved Passengers to see if they are willing to upgrade their accommodations at a discounted rate, or to sail on another voyage entirely at an even greater discount.

If you are approached, the options are always yours, but I warn you that you may find the discounts alarmingly attractive.

Edited by StanandJim

Not a chance.

* Occasionally, if demand is very great, the Cruise Line may approach reserved Passengers to see if they are willing to upgrade their accommodations at a discounted rate, or to sail on another voyage entirely at an even greater discount.

If you are approached, the options are always yours, but I warn you that you may find the discounts alarmingly attractive.

On occasion, you may be asked if you would like to take a "down sale" to a lower category stateroom at a significant savings. Again, like an up sale, the choice is always yours. If you don't take it, they will keep trying to make offers to you or others until they are able to obtain what they need.

Cenia

On occasion, you may be asked if you would like to take a "down sale" to a lower category stateroom at a significant savings. Again, like an up sale, the choice is always yours. If you don't take it, they will keep trying to make offers to you or others until they are able to obtain what they need.

Cenia

Certainly darling, but it's difficult to list every possible option of what may or may not happen in every post... n'est-ce pas? :D