Drinks Package Query - more about pricing than what's included...

AJB1970

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if someone could give me latest prices (in GBP please) for the Classic Alcohol package for Solstice. We're about to join the ship in Sydney and after reading some time ago (on this forum I think it was) that there is no difference between prices, pre-cruise and when onboard, I've seen on Celebrity's website that they are indicating that it is cheaper to order pre-cruise. Now, I don't know if this is a marketing ploy to get you to order and pay upfront, but I've also noticed that when you select a package whilst logged in to My Celebrity, the prices shown are "starting from" and they can be quite different from the price ending up in your basket. Now, the Celebrity site isn't working at the mo, so I can't place an order just yet (and can't also check the final price), but I'm wondering whether it'll be worth me trying to order before boarding, or should I just wait until I get onboard?

Many thanks

Amanda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Originally it was $5+15% service charge per day cheaper to pre book but now the prices are the same. All prices for extras are quoted and charged in USD so the GDP you end up paying depends on the exchange rate used by your credit/debit card company.

If you don't already have one get one of the credit cards that don't charge for foreign currency transactions. Mine also gives a better exchange rate than I can buy currency for so I no longer buy foreign currency before travel, but use the card to withdraw cash. I incur interest as soon as I do so, so I go online asap and tranfer the amount from my current account.

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if someone could give me latest prices (in GBP please) for the Classic Alcohol package for Solstice. We're about to join the ship in Sydney and after reading some time ago (on this forum I think it was) that there is no difference between prices, pre-cruise and when onboard, I've seen on Celebrity's website that they are indicating that it is cheaper to order pre-cruise. Now, I don't know if this is a marketing ploy to get you to order and pay upfront, but I've also noticed that when you select a package whilst logged in to My Celebrity, the prices shown are "starting from" and they can be quite different from the price ending up in your basket. Now, the Celebrity site isn't working at the mo, so I can't place an order just yet (and can't also check the final price), but I'm wondering whether it'll be worth me trying to order before boarding, or should I just wait until I get onboard?

Many thanks

Amanda

My suggestion would be to purchase some OBC now and then purchase your package on board from the OBC. I have just checked and Celebrity are still seeing US$25 OBC for £14.90. This is a much much better rate than you will get anywhere else at present so, even if the beverage package is more expensive on board, you will still be quids in!

Just one point, telephone tomorrow morning to buy the OBC rather than purchase it online. The online purchase is not fully automated and requires human intervention. If you telephone, the transaction will go through while you are on the telephone.

Having read Project Gal's post I went on to the X site to manage our booking for a Sept TP Vancouver to Japan. Working through the numbers the Classic drinks package @$49 costs £29.89 which I calculate comes out to an exchange rate of $1.67 per £1.00 which is the same as the OBC would be. Thanks for the tip PG. We plan to phone X in the morning and book our packages then rather than wait as we can't see the rate improving any time soon. Of course 15% would be added for grats.

Jim

Edited by free from work

Having read Project Gal's post I went on to the X site to manage our booking for a Sept TP Vancouver to Japan. Working through the numbers the Classic drinks package @$49 costs £29.89 which I calculate comes out to an exchange rate of $1.67 per £1.00 which is the same as the OBC would be. Thanks for the tip PG. We plan to phone X in the morning and book our packages then rather than wait as we can't see the rate improving any time soon. Of course 15% would be added for grats.

Jim

Jim

Thanks. So basically, they are currently using the same rate for OBC and Beverage Packages [that is not always the case]. Anyone else from the UK thinking about excursions, specialty dining, or anything else you can pre-purchase would be wise to check the current prices and buy now [or purchase OBC so they can purchase on board].

The pound has fallen against the US$ for some months and a few weeks ago went into freefall. It now appears to have bottomed out. I used to work in FX and watch the rate daily but have no other expertise [so take my advice in that light] but the pound always falls against the dollar more steeply than it rises and I cannot see the tourist or credit card exchange rate matching the 1.67 for a very long time. You would have to go back to last summer to get a rate as good and that was at a five year peak.

We have just booked 2x Classic drinks packages and saved c£55 each which in our minds could go towards any "premium" drinks we might want to try when on board ship. This is based on an exchange rate of $1.48 per pound which I can get from my CC supplier which is a large clothing/ food store.

What really surprised us was that just one of us could buy the package. Our understanding was that everyone in a stateroom had to have the same!

The classic package is £32.34 per head per night plus 15%. It looks as if they may have sorted the exchange rate out for the packages as when I upgraded ours to premium as few weeks ago it was equivalent to around $1.62 to the £. What is shown now is $1.51 to the £.

If that is he case you are better loading on board credit at $1.67 to the £ which is still available.

Thanks for all your comments. I didn't know that you could actually buy OBC and then use that against any purchases onboard...but if the rate is better, I guess it would be a good way of ensuring you don't pay over the odds...