Questions about cruising with family. I have fears.

LoriLoriLori

Guy Fieri, the popular host of the Diners Drive-ins and Dives show on Food Network, had a show last year where he and his family, which included his parents, siblings and kids, all went on a Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Breeze. The whole family had a blast, especially the kids.

If I were going on a cruise with young kids, I'd definitely go with Carnival.

Are all of the "features" on FOS included in the cruise fare, or are there additional charges? First time cruisers are often caught unaware by fees that many of us have become inured to, or know to avoid (internet charges, for example, or fancy coffees).

I've never been on RCI so I have no idea if things like the FlowRidger, rock climbing wall, mini-golf, or ice skating involve additional fees but if they do, the OP should be made aware.

The flow rider, rock wall, golf and ice skating do not involve extra fees. You can pay extra for lessons on the flow rider, or, I think, private or semi-private time on it.

Most extra fee things on cruises are not necessities, just your personal choice. Spa, bingo, pop and alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees, specialty dining, internet, photos, shops, excursions and some exercise classes, etc.

None of the above are necessary for a good time; we rarely spend on anything extra except internet (elderly parents) and a photo or two. We do independent excursions, which are cheaper, or do our own thing in port.

I think that it is a sales gimmick when Bingo and Deal or No Deal is done 30 minutes before a show in the theatre. They get folks in that wouldn't normally go to BINGO or Deal or No Deal and they sell more cards/tickets this way. Also because many of those folks stay for the theatre show the other passengers have to come in earlier than they would like to get a good seat for the upcoming show. They buy cards and tickets and drinks. If it wasn't a sales gimmic then bingo/games wouldnt be so strategically placed in location and time.

On the cruises I have been on, Bingo has never been before a show.

[quote name='NMLady']On the cruises I have been on, Bingo has never been before a show.[/QUOTE]

Oh I hate the noise from BINGO so that's why I remember it. I find it soooooo annoying and would never intentionally sit in a room with it if I wasn't there for something to begin. I remember this happening on many cruises. NCL for sure. They had a BINGO guy. Seriously a guy for BINGO. Trust me I wish I didn't know that.:D