French Only?

planb

We want to go really only to the French side Marigot and would like to see the 2 side country marker any ideas how to do this easily and discounted? I can't find a tour at all and we aren't interested in the beach or seeing planes. Not sure how much ataxia would be for 4 people to do this and I understand to give about 2 hours to get back to the ship because of traffic. Anyone have some ideas? Appreciate the help.

For four people, renting a car might be your best bet - probably about $50. A taxi would not be much less. I do not think a bus would give you a chance to see that white marker - which is on the coast road on the west side of the island - as I think the busses take the inland route. After checking out Marigot, maybe having lunch, you could head north to check out Grand Case (or plan on lunch there) then continue along the north end of the island past Orient Beach and down the east side, where you can see the other "border crossing", which is marked by two flag poles flying the Netherlands Antilles flag and the French tricolor, as you pass Oyster Pond.

That route would take only an hour from Marigot back to the port since all the heavy afternoon traffic is between the airport area and Phillipsburg on the south side of the island.

Thank you for that info that may be a great way to go. Just worried about the traffic as last time we were on the island we had a wreck.(not our fault :>) Would not want my older parents to experience that and it being their 60th anniversary that day. They married in France and spent their honeymoon in Nice , couldn't afford to take them to Europe so St Marteen is the closest we can get them to French soil. I wonder if a taxi driver would take us on this route ? Wondering if they would for $30-$50 per person.

I think you would have no problem getting a taxi to take you on a tour of the island for 4 or 5 hours for something in the range of $125 - $150 - seeing the border stone on the west side, stoping in Marigot - getting a "French" lunch in one of the many little beach side restaurants in Grand Case, then going back down the east side passing the two flag poles - seeing the island, getting a taste of France, with no hassle.

That sounds like a great day, thank you. Do you have a restaurant preference in Grand Case? Last time we ate at a place where it seems the locals like to go. It was okay, but not something I'd like to do twice.

Le Soleil is our go to lunch place in Grand Case. It's on restraint row just beyond where you went the last time. The food is wonderful and the view can't be beat. If it happened to be closed another great place is The Sunset Cafe at the Grand Case Beach Resort.

The 'locals' placed mentioned above may well be the Lolos of Grand Case. There are 5 or 6 choices there. We love Germain's.

Our favorite restaurant for lunch is Calmos Cafe, right on the water, feet in the sand.

gary

p.s karysa, ae you dieting? Very few people are able to show restraint while dining in Grand Case. :)

Le Soleil is our go to lunch place in Grand Case. It's on restraint row just beyond where you went the last time. The food is wonderful and the view can't be beat. If it happened to be closed another great place is The Sunset Cafe at the Grand Case Beach Resort.

There are four main border crossings between the French and Dutch sides.

th_BorderCrossings_1.jpg

(click)

The Western-most crossing only has a relatively small sign, Welcome to the French Side.

The Center-West crossing is the main one, and is where they have the Shared Border Ceremonies. It has flags and an obelisk. See the photo at Amy Hefter's Blog. The is the main route from the Dutch side to Marigot.

The Center-East crossing also has flags and an obelisk. See the photo and article at Wikipedia. This would be the main route from Philipsburg to Orient and Grand Case.

Apparently the Eastern crossing at Oyster Pond now has flags, but I don't often travel that route.

gary

The 'locals' placed mentioned above may well be the Lolos of Grand Case. There are 5 or 6 choices there. We love Germain's.

Our favorite restaurant for lunch is Calmos Cafe, right on the water, feet in the sand.

gary

p.s karysa, ae you dieting? Very few people are able to show restraint while dining in Grand Case. :)

I like to refer to it as beach preparation but even I would show no restraint on restaurant row in Grand Case.:D

I like Calmos to. A little more relaxed than the two I mentioned but very good just the same.