Is South of France is a must-see?

Millenia98

Kathy,

When we were n Marseille last fall I was wonderfully surprised by the city. First of all there is the amazing Notre Dame de la Garde the beautiful cathedral high up on the hill opposite the old harbor from where Seabourn docks. It took us about an hour to walk there and the views were amazing and the cathedral , dedicated to Mariners, was very special. And the. Right next to where Seabourn docks is the new Museum and the old fort that is part sculpture garden and part renovated fortification. You can easily spend a couple of hours there -- and there is no admission fee. I will try to post some photos. And then there is the Old Harbor -- a lovely place to walk around . If you are not a walker I did notice a little tourist train.

Marazul,

Thank you for your reply. So you do not think that we will have trouble arranging a taxi or prebooking a driver to take us there? I know it is not like Spain but I made the assumption that since Marseille is very Catholic no one would be working on Easter Sunday. Will check out the farandole.

Definitely, prebook a driver. The French love the long weekends that come with the Catholic feasts. Going to church, not so much.

Just to add my two cents worth, we have visited many areas in the south of France, and our personal favorite is Villefranche. We stopped there on a cruise and fell in love with the seaside village.

We have been back and stayed for 2 weeks, and we are returning next year.

All of the previous posters have come up with good ideas, a lot depends on your personal preference. The Provence area around Avignon is awesome with lots of hill towns.

If you want the ocean, then somewhere along the French Riviera would be very nice.

Good luck with your decision, what ever you choose, I know you won't be disappointed.

Dave