Lisbon

Any hints on what to do in Lisbon? We have been once and went round on the hoho bus, but somehow missed the Discoveries Monumentx :o

Is it far from where the ship docks?

Is that the one on the waterfront which you sail past on the way in and out of Lisbon? We had hoped to go there when we were last in Lisbon but because of delays we didn't have time. I think it's in the area called Belem - which is in the opposite direction from the way you go to get to the city centre.

I believe it's on one of the hoho routes as our friends got off there. It's a very attractive area with more to see than just the monument - our friends were very taken with it. (A monastery area too?) As for how to get there - the hoho is one way but there is a tram too but you really need to know where you are berthed in Lisbon as not all ships dock in the same area. The dock further from the centre is closer to Belem.

An alternative is to go into the centre and visit the Castle of St George which is quite extensive - nothing too spectacular inside but nice areas to walk, gardens, outdoor cafe areas and fabulous views over the city. I'm a bit hazy now but think we got the shuttle to the main square in the centre then walked but think it's accessible by a lift.

Hi it depends on which port you dock at, whether the old or new. We have been to Lisbon 3 times, but have only been to the new dock one. If you get to the old one the monuments are easily to walk to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks everyone. Dave is Black Horse Square near Belem or further away?

I don't know where the Black horse Square is - unless it's in the centre where the shuttle drops (if there is one) but if you look at this map and zoom in a bit:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lisbon,+Portugal/@38.6969757,-9.1862219,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0xd19331a61e4f33b:0x400ebbde49036d0

You will see the Torre de Belem to the left of the bridge (IP7). The cruise terminal is to the right of this bridge. Occasionally you see a ship berthed on the Belem side of the bridge in which case as dave sys, you can walk there. I researched this when we were going but never used the info so haven't exactly tested it out - but I believe the tram runs from the main road parallel to the cruise terminal and that goes out left towards Belem. Our friends thought it a beautiful area to explore. I was disappointed not to be able to see it ourselves.

Does look attractive which is more than can be said for the area in the immediate vicinity of the cruise terminal.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Belem+lisbon+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=z4-_VIOdJ4LjOOeCgZgH&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=619

Edited by kruzseeka

Hi Linda.

This summarises what we did the first time we visited at Christmas 13, it's a nice trip.

Got €6.50 day transport pass from lottery kiosk at Apolonia Station, just behind main ticket counter. Metro to main Comercio square, tram 15E to Belem, had a nice walk around all along the front and had the Pasteis (yummy) from the famous cafe. Tram back to Figurera square and did the Santa Justa elevator which is included in transport pass. Got tram 12 around the Alfama past the Castle, walked back to ship.

The ship will be docked at JTAB, ( I checked the Lisbon port listings) or as Dave correctly calls it the old Tobacco Warf. The Apolonia station is either directly in front of the berth or just to the right. It's Comercio Square that has the horse statue.

I will PM you on facebook and send a more detailed document, the one I sent Jules last year. If anyone else wants it either hit me up on FB or post an email address on here.

Ok, let me explain better.

Black horse square is a common name for the Praca do Comercio, the big square on the river front with all government offices surrounding it. Leading north from there is the rua da prata and other main streets. Smack bang in the centre of town.

the tobbaco wharf cruise berths are EAST of here, about 800 yards along the waterfront. i have visited Lisbon several times and we have docked here on all occassions except the first time.

West of black horse square is the suspension bridge and the 'old' cruise berths which are in fact commercial wharfs. They are a long way from the city centre and you need to use the shuttle. As far as i know they are not used for cruise ships anymore, except perhaps when a lot of ships are in port.

Even further west than the suspension bridge is Belem. the statue is 1.5 miles from the bridge and the bridge is 2.3 miles from the city centre.

Where are you off to, Dreamgirl?

Hi Little Nell,

We are going on P&O Oriana at the end of May .

10 nights from Southampton.

La Coruna , Lisbon, Cadiz, Malaga , Tangiers ......

Really looking forward to it.

All new ports to us except Tangiers as we usually fly past them!

Don't think we will get off at Tangiers , went as a child about 50 years ago, doubt it's changed much :rolleyes:

Hi Little Nell,

Don't think we will get off at Tangiers , went as a child about 50 years ago, doubt it's changed much :rolleyes:

Lovely. I am sure you will enjoy that one!

Hi Little Nell,

Sounds great Vicki :)

Ok, let me explain better.

Black horse square is a common name for the Praca do Comercio, the big square on the river front with all government offices surrounding it. Leading north from there is the rua da prata and other main streets. Smack bang in the centre of town.

the tobbaco wharf cruise berths are EAST of here, about 800 yards along the waterfront. i have visited Lisbon several times and we have docked here on all occassions except the first time.

West of black horse square is the suspension bridge and the 'old' cruise berths which are in fact commercial wharfs. They are a long way from the city centre and you need to use the shuttle. As far as i know they are not used for cruise ships anymore, except perhaps when a lot of ships are in port.

Even further west than the suspension bridge is Belem. the statue is 1.5 miles from the bridge and the bridge is 2.3 miles from the city centre.

Thanks Dave, sorry to be dense :o:D

When we went there on the Eclipse we "parked" here. Is this where you mean?

30x7bsz.jpg

ehb29g.jpg

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Thanks Joe, just managed to download it :rolleyes: Wouldn't open up on my phone or tablet, my laptop is having a strop, it's sooooo slow, so had to fire up my trusty PC :D

Sounds a bit adventurous for us Joe :o TBH, not keen on underground, since the terrorist attacks in London. I prefer to be above ground :)

I think we may get the ho ho bus again or perhaps a taxi, although I do know how mad the Portugese drivers are :eek: I began to wonder if I would get out of Albufeira alive a few years ago! I was just looking through my photos from the Eclipse and realised I had seen the Explorers statue from the bus, so we would know where to get off!

6ok45e.jpg

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Thanks Dave, sorry to be dense :o:D

When we went there on the Eclipse we "parked" here. Is this where you mean?

30x7bsz.jpg

ehb29g.jpg

Yes that is the tobacco wharf. i think the empty plot on the second photo is now also a cruise berth with small terminal building

• 2 weeks later...

Info for anyone else going to Lisbon this year!

http://shorebee.com/en/portugal/lisbon/port

Kindly supplied by Brian on P&O boards. If you click on this link you can see where the ship is going to dock (subject to change of course)

Via this link you can already find a forecast.

But other info too :)