Ropes course and slide closures

rob&tam

How often are these closed due to wind/ weather? I realize weather is unpredictable but we were discussing a southern cruise with several sea days and wondered how often this occurs?

most especially i wondered about those going to south to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao?

How often are these closed due to wind/ weather? I realize weather is unpredictable but we were discussing a southern cruise with several sea days and wondered how often this occurs?

most especially i wondered about those going to south to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao?

I don't know that you can predict how often it will occur but the rule is pretty consistent that if you wouldn't want to be on it due to the weather, it's gonna be closed. So a great deal depends on the time of year and what path the ship takes. I've seen them closed most commonly in the Atlantic and the Gulf where the seas tend to be higher.

I went last yr on the breeze southern Caribbean- the rope course was closed for 3 of the seven days.was extremely windy in Aruba, curaçao. Opened back up half way back to us .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly what I was thinking. Aruba is known to be windy. I would guess it closes the course quite often.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On two of our cruises the ropes course was only open when the ship was in port. Please remember to have closed toe shoes like running shoes to do the ropes course. My daughter forgets every time and another trip back to the room to get her shoes. Its alot of fun but i think it cant be windy at all to allow it. The slides were open the whole cruise. Have fun.

I totally understand "why" they close these activities. They happen at the top of the ship where wind is the most. I just wondered how often this occurs.

It does sound like the slides usually stay open then and only the ropes course closes in wind. This is good news

Sent from my iPad using Forums

weather permitting of course, lol, will the slides and ropes course be open on boarding day?

Yes. We found that was the best time to do the ropes course. It was frequently closed when we were not in port on our Belize/Roaton/Cozumel cruise. Any wind will close it. Because it was rarely open when the majority of guests were not off exploring a port, the lines would grow quickly when it opened. But even when the ropes course is closed, there's plenty to do on the sports deck.

The only time I've seen the slides closed was when it was extremely windy and all open deck areas above lido were basically closed off. The lido pool was splashing onto the deck in large waves that reached the bottom of the next deck, so it wasn't the ordinary wind that you're likely to encounter.

Both the slides and the ropes course generally close down early, at 6pm. The slides may open at 9 or 10 and the ropes not until noon. They tested the winds on the Sunshine by having an employee walk around the course with a meter to check various areas. The winds had to be under 35 mph and the ropes course was closed several days of our cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I totally understand "why" they close these activities. They happen at the top of the ship where wind is the most. I just wondered how often this occurs.

It does sound like the slides usually stay open then and only the ropes course closes in wind. This is good news

s

I thought the slides close during winds too.

I would also think that they would always be closed in Aruba.

Aruba is always windy except when a storm is out and about somewhere in the sea as it sucks the air out of aruba

The slides also close but I'm not sure the requirements are the same for each ship since the stairs and platforms seem to be a bit different on each ship. The slides were still open when the ropes course was closed on the Sunshine. I have seen the slides closed on the Dream before due to wind...the upper platform really shakes sometimes!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Those are 3 ports I have never been to, but I have been on all 3 Dream class ships over 5 sailings. (Dream does not have ropes course.) It takes very little wind to close the ropes course, so you should plan on it being closed when you're sailing. On Magic, it only opened in port. On Breeze, I believe there was just one sea day that winds were calm enough to open it. On the other hand, it takes a ton of wind to close the waterslides. I have been up there going on the slides in crazy winds on all 3 ships. I was shocked that they still had it open a couple times. One of the workers told me what the point was where they close it, although I had no reference to know how strong that was, so I don't remember. But it's a lot!

Sunshine's slides are more towards the back of the ship, while Dream ships have it towards the front. It's possible that Sunshine's slides being in the back might make it better or worse as far as when they have to close the slides. Based on a couple reports, it sounds like it takes less wind to close Sunshine's slides, but I don't know.

Edited by k2excursion