Verizion Wireless Phone working in SJU?

HockeyMom44

Just recieved an IM on Facebook from a friend of mine who says that her Verizion Wireless phone is not working on San Juan.

The locals are telling her that Verizion Wireless has pulled out of Puerto Rico.

AnyONe???

We leave in a few days…!!!:confused:

Worked for us there in SJ, an elsewhere, last week. At least voice; Data and wi-fi were sloooow onboard. My daughter was nice enough to show me how to enable international access via Verizon's website. Not sure if it would've allowed calls with mainland US otherwise on regular service. Which reminds me: I need to turn it off now!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

saw this on the trip advisor forum:

"

I just called Verizon to confirm this since I am traveling to Puerto Rico tomorrow. I was told that calls, texts, data should all work for all US-based phones. However, they did say that there is some service called "International Dialing Allowance". For some reason, some phones need this turned on to work from Puerto Rico, but I was assured there would be no extra charges for calls, texts, or data. One extra charge possible is if texting pictures or video.

I was told tha service is sketchy in some areas.

Also, if you have a smart phone, they suggest a power cycle (turn off and back on) the night before you go and possibly when you arrive.

If you don't have a smart phone, you should call *228 and choose option 2 to reset the phone so it chooses the best towers. And do the same when you get back."

also this dated just this week:

"

**UPDATE**

Just got off the phone with Verizon Global Support. On my Samsung Galaxy S5, they had me go into SETTINGS->MORE NETWORKS->MOBILE NETWORKS->GLOBAL DATA ROAMING ACCESS, and select "ALLOW ACCESS FOR ALL TRIPS". Now, so far, I am able to send picture messages, but it takes a few minutes for it to send."

We just got back from Mexico, Belize and Honduras and my wife's iphone with Verizon said "no service" the whole time.

She phoned Verizon when we got back and they told her to dial *69 if that happens again to correct the situation.