QM2 WC hold up at Port Said?

cunardaddict

Seems to me like they'll go for it. The ship will fit. Sounds like someone is going to have to make it happen. The 'Transit Operations Division Executive Manager' will just have to decide on a fee that makes the whole operation worthwhile. They may even get to upgrade some of their maintenance equipment hanging from the bridge. That means per passenger canal fees will have to go up to, but 2000 passengers is a big multiplier. How much extra can the average passenger be charged for the first time, $200? It would make a great selling feature for QM2's world cruise, schedule an extra day or even two in port or anchorage during the passage, this would allow for excursions to the museum (I've heard this is good.?)etc... Plus all the hooplah and media coverage would be great for the brand. Of course this is in whatever year we're talking about. 2016? or is that schedule set yet? How about 2017? That is assuming the expansion is complete. BTW, can the ship take on ballast and reduce the air draught? Shows how much I know! There must be excellent GPS control through the canal so I would think they would be able know the elevation of the highest point of the ship within an inch or two in real time.

QM2 has not yet started into the Suez Canal. She is anchored outside Port Said since early morning.

Did you see this subsequent report? http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6162

"12.30 p.m. EST) -- Queen Mary 2 has been forced to skip the port of Aqaba for Petra because of delays in the Suez Canal.

The Cunard Line flagship, which is on a on a 113-night world cruise, will instead call in at Muscat, Oman, on Tuesday, January 27.

The delays were due to dredging in the Suez Canal, which led to a partial collapse of a precipitation basin, preventing ships from passing through.

The issue first came to light on the Cruise Critic Message Boards when cunardaddict posted: "QM2 has not yet started into the Suez Canal. She is anchored outside Port Said since early morning."

And sailtheseas posted: "At 2230 UT they were finally transiting the canal so a port may have to be missed, unfortunate if it is Petra as that is one of the highlights of this leg of the trip."

Petra is a highlight of any Middle East cruise, both a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. The 2,200-year-old city is carved out of solid rock and is familiar to many from the movie Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

A spokesperson for Cunard said: "Due to the enforced delay in the transit of the Suez Canal, unfortunately Queen Mary 2 will no longer be able to call at Aqaba. A call at Muscat; Oman, will be added on Tuesday January 27."

The ship is 13 days into its World Cruise, which departed Southampton on January 10, 2015 -- By Adam Coulter, UK Editor."

Edited by Salacia

Don't know whether or not there's any connection, but the "breaking news" in the UK is of riots in parts of Egypt,(Cairo and Alexandria) with 11 people shot dead by the Police following riots in the street forth anniversary of the "Arab Spring"................

Just checked the Cunard website and it now shows QM's next stop being

Khor Fakkan, United Arab emirates, I guess Muscat, Oman is out? Definitely a cruise in flux. I'm sure they can't wait to pick up/drop off their Dubai customers and get out of that part of the world for the time being. Does this suggest that they could just drop Dubai altogether and haul people overland to/from khor Fakkan or is this just the first safe place they felt they could stop to let people off the boat to stretch their legs? It's about 100 miles/180km overland to Dubai.

Khor Fakkan, United Arab emirates, I guess Muscat, Oman is out? Definitely a cruise in flux. I'm sure they can't wait to pick up/drop off their Dubai customers and get out of that part of the world for the time being. Does this suggest that they could just drop Dubai altogether and haul people overland to/from khor Fakkan or is this just the first safe place they felt they could stop to let people off the boat to stretch their legs? It's about 100 miles/180km overland to Dubai.

Looks like Muscat is in...

"Muscat: One of the world's largest cruise liners, Queen Mary 2, will visit Oman on Tuesday, according to the cruise liner's local spokesman.

Khimji Ramdas said that Queen Mary 2's port call will put Muscat on the world's cruise liners' map. "This is the best way to showcase Oman's cruise facilities internationally. The length of the ship is 345 meters and the maximum radius of the turning basin is 300 meters. Bringing Queen Mary 2 is one of the biggest challenges and Port Sultan Qaboos has brought the vessel alongside safely before. They have illustrated their technical supremacy by bringing the vessel into the port without turning the ship in the turning basin," said MC Jose, CEO, projects and logistics, Khimji Ramdas.

He also said that it will be great to see such a big ship anchoring at the Sultan Qaboos Port. "I think the schools should take an initiative and bring the children to the Muttrah Corniche to see this ship entering and sailing."

She will come in at 8 am in the morning and will sail at 6 pm. "One can take a close up picture when she comes close to the Muttrah Corniche to enter the port. It will be a great opportunity to have a family picture with Queen Mary 2 in the background," said M C Jose..." COPIED FROM http://www.eturbonews.com/54865/queen-mary-2s-port-call-oman-s-tourist-status

Best wishes to all on board. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Muscat is a wonderful city in a wonderful country with a wonderful, caring sultan. I hope word of mouth from so many passengers promotes this great place. I know they will like it very much.

Yes perhaps, but best for passengers to keep in mind that Sharia Law applies in this country. Whether or not that is wonderful depends on your point of view.

I understand the Sultan has been ill for months. I wish the best for him and the Sultanate of Oman.

Parenthetically, this report might be of interest: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2015/01/oman-abdullah-qaboos-succession-power-yemen.html#

Edited by Salacia

Khaur Fakhan has been the original first destination after passing Suez Canal, now to be displaced by Muskat.

When I looked at the QM2 webcam last week it said she was docked in Aqaba??:confused:

As you may read in previous posts of this thread QM2 did not call at Aquaba port due to a 16hr delay at Port Said.

Yes perhaps, but best for passengers to keep in mind that Sharia Law applies in this country. Whether or not that is wonderful depends on your point of view.

/QUOTE]

Well it's not Sauidi Arabia that's for sure.

Executions in Oman in the last three years - nil.

In the US, how many?

David.

We have been to Oman on QM2 and rate it one of our top destinations.

We took a tour with a brilliant guide who told a lot about the country. I asked if his wife was allowed to drive, "of course" he said " she has a much better car than I have"

David.

/QUOTE]

Well it's not Sauidi Arabia that's for sure.

Executions in Oman in the last three years - nil.

In the US, how many?

David.

Balf, I mentioned that it is best for passengers to keep in mind that Sharia Law applies in Oman because some of us might not be familiar with local laws and customs. The Canadian Government has useful information on that topic here: http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/oman

I don't know how executions got into the discussion, but I can tell you that there have been no executions in my state (New York) since 1963. -S.

When I looked at the QM2 webcam last week it said she was docked in Aqaba??:confused:

I think the ports that are listed on the webcams are pre-written and forgotten. Not only was the QM2's incorrect about Aqaba but the QE's said she was in Nassau on the day she was supposed to be there but they had canceled the call.

I think the ports that are listed on the webcams are pre-written and forgotten. Not only was the QM2's incorrect about Aqaba but the QE's said she was in Nassau on the day she was supposed to be there but they had canceled the call.

On a few occasions last year the list was updated. But most times it wasn't.

That's not visiting a port in Argentina?

Well, have a look at a map. Ushuaia certainly is a town in Argentinia. But Chile is rather close. Passengers of Cunard ships have not been comfortably welcomed there last year and QV made a quick move into chilenian waters.

Well, have a look at a map. Ushuaia certainly is a town in Argentinia. But Chile is rather close. Passengers of Cunard ships have not been comfortably welcomed there last year and QV made a quick move into chilenian waters.

I don't need to look at a map. I've been to Ushuaia.

In Post #15 you stated categorically that "Cunard ships are not visiting any ports of Argentina."

The Cunard QM2 2016 WC itinerary includes a stop in Ushuaia.

Ushuaia is in Argentina! All your contortions about the proximity of Chile doesn't make Post #15 accurate!

Reading between the lines...

Past history has shown that Cunard ships are not welcomed with open arms in Argentina.

Will the situation be different this year?

But yes, the itinerary includes QM2 dropping anchor in the port of Ushuaia, Argentina, presumably using tenders to transport passengers to that port.

No doubt opinions vary as to whether or not QM2 should include this as a port visit considering recent treatment, or whether Argentina would welcome the ship and its passengers.

Let's hope it works out well for all concerned. -S.