QM2 WC hold up at Port Said?

cunardaddict

Well, have a look at a map. Ushuaia certainly is a town in Argentinia. But Chile is rather close. Passengers of Cunard ships have not been comfortably welcomed there last year and QV made a quick move into chilenian waters.

I was on the QV last year on her sojourn around South America during her World Cruise and we visited a number of ports in Argentina (and Chile) and including berthing at Ushuaia. We had a wonderful time and were, I think welcomed admirably. Unless you were onboard yourself, Im wondering where you are getting quote ...

"QV made a quick move into chilenian waters"

unquote from.

Edited by roscoe39

Hi Roscoe. I wasn't on board ship, but I remember reading about an incident regarding a certain flag in a certain port. All water under the bridge is it then ? No sense in dredging it all up again for this years cruise? Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Hi Roscoe. I wasn't on board ship, but I remember reading about an incident regarding a certain flag in a certain port ? All water under the bridge is then ? No sense in dredging it all up again for this years cruise. Cheers, -S.

Yes, Puerto Madryn actually, all worked out in the end and we had a wonderful shopping trip into town, all added to the experience.

Im glad I dont get involved in politics or discussions thereof!

Yes, Puerto Madryn actually, all worked out in the end and we had a wonderful shopping trip into town, all added to the experience.

Im glad I dont get involved in politics or discussions thereof!

Politics is one thing...International Maritime Law is another. Any one who sails the sea should be concerned with Maritime Law - although I admit it might not be as appealing to some as shopping.

Edited by Salacia

Politics is one thing...International Maritime Law is another. Any one who sails the sea should be concerned with Maritime Law - although I admit it is might not be as appealing to some as shopping.

Hi S, not sure what your reference to maritime law refers to but the "flag" incident wasn't related to a maritime point of law as far as I was aware.

maybe Im wrong, but I fear Im skirting a political discussion and Id far prefer to talk about polo

Edited by roscoe39

Hi S, not sure what your reference to maritime law refers to but the "flag" incident wasn't related to a maritime point of law as far as I was aware.

maybe Im wrong, but I fear Im skirting a political discussion and Id far prefer to talk about polo

Ok, talk about polo :)

Don't worry, be happy :D

The webcam does say she is at sea but that is definitely Muscat with a small part of the beautiful mountains in the background. Wish we were there!!

Looking out of my office window - yes, couldn't agree more. Rain, snow, wet & cold here...

We have been to Oman on QM2 and rate it one of our top destinations.

We took a tour with a brilliant guide who told a lot about the country. I asked if his wife was allowed to drive, "of course" he said " she has a much better car than I have"

David.

We have been to the Oman on QM2 also . Think it was the 2012 world cruise or maybe 2010. Either way I have to agree with balf's comments. It is a fabulous port of call. Not to be missed and lovely people also.

Ships that sail under the British flag have not been welcomed into Argentina since early 2012, especially if they are visiting the Falklands. (even though Cunard registered their flag in Bermuda)

Last year the Falkland Islands was not on the itinerary so the ships Cunard and P&O were able to go back into Argentina. In 2011 P&O advertised Argentina and the Falklands as ports of call then removed Argentina from the itinerary two weeks before departure in January 2013.

This upset hundreds of passengers who went on to take legal action against the company for bait advertising. They had known for the previous two years that they could not get into Argentina if they went to the Falklands as well. They carried on advertising it till after everyone had paid up.

Now the Falklands have been removed from future cruise itinerary by Cunard which is a huge shame as many British passengers would have booked for that one port of call.

The incident I describe above is true. I was on the cruise on P&O where this happened.

Edited by maggiemou

There was also the incident last year where it was reported that QV was told to lower the Red Ensign while in Argentine waters. I seem to remember there was a thread here about the incident, but the search function isn't working right now. Here's one news report:http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/459547/Argentina-bans-cruise-ship-from-flying-British-flag-and-slings-MORE-insults

The webcam does say she is at sea but that is definitely Muscat with a small part of the beautiful mountains in the background. Wish we were there!!

Story and a link to more photos here: http://www.timesofoman.com/News/46370/Article-Cunards-flagship-Queen-Mary-2-docks-in-Muscat

According to that report, QM2 sails at 6pm from Muscat to Dubai.

There was also the incident last year where it was reported that QV was told to lower the Red Ensign while in Argentine waters. I seem to remember there was a thread here about the incident, but the search function isn't working right now. Here's one news report:http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/459547/Argentina-bans-cruise-ship-from-flying-British-flag-and-slings-MORE-insults

Found that thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1989150&highlight=argentina

Serious question, if you don't mind my asking...why would you rather be in Oman than Hawaii?

I've never been to Oman, but I have read much about it...this piece is a perhaps good summary: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/mar/04/oman-sultan-qaboos-despot Wishing to be there as opposed to being in Hawaii is something I don't understand:confused: Thanks, -S.

Serious question, if you don't mind my asking...why would you rather be in Oman than Hawaii?

I've never been to Oman, but I have read much about it...this piece is a perhaps good summary: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/mar/04/oman-sultan-qaboos-despot Wishing to be there as opposed to being in Hawaii is something I don't understand:confused: Thanks, -S.

The answer of course is that tourists are not affected by the regime unless they are foolish. Just the same as in your country and mine mine. I found Oman as a beautiful country with pleasant welcoming people, but I don't do politics when I travel. And as far as I know there have been no instances of tourists getting in to trouble there.

Would you rather be in Hawaii than seeing the Great Wall or the Warriers? Or do you think China is far less oppressive than Oman?

Regards

David.

The answer of course is that tourists are not affected by the regime unless they are foolish. Just the same as in your country and mine mine. I found Oman as a beautiful country with pleasant welcoming people, but I don't do politics when I travel. And as far as I know there have been no instances of tourists getting in to trouble there.

Would you rather be in Hawaii than seeing the Great Wall or the Warriers? Or do you think China is far less oppressive than Oman?

Regards

David.

Hi David.

I haven't read of any instances of tourists getting into trouble in Oman either, but then again the press is very tightly controlled there (Oman ranks 134 out of 180 countries on the World Press Freedom Index). Anyway, just to mention two examples where your country and mine differs from Oman: we do not prohibit people travelling on Israeli passports from entering, nor do we have a death penalty for homosexuality (and various other so-called crimes). While those restrictions do not apply to us, on principle I wouldn't be comfortable traveling there. I understand others feel differently, and I accept that Oman is a very popular tourist destination.

In answer to your question - actually, I'd rather see Hawaii :) We're trying to agree on our next holiday destination: I want to go to Hawaii, but Hubby wants to go back to England or Italy. I'll let you know how it works out :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Thanks you, Balf, for your accurate responses!!

Salacia, I live in Hawaii but that doesn't mean I don't want to travel to learn about different cultures, people, history and expand my knowledge. Should I stay at home just because I live in Paradise?

I could post numerous links about the negatives of visiting Paris, Venice, Hong Kong or your state of New York but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to go there. We have been lucky enough to visit several ports in Oman 4 times and each time we have thoroughly enjoyed the people, the places, the unique history and learning about what positive things that the Sultan has provided for his people. We behave appropriately and have never had a problem. I'd return again anytime.

Aloha, Patti

neither does OMAN

Roscoe, the death penalty for homosexuality is not applicable in Oman, according to this:

"...The maximum penalty for homosexuality in Oman is three years in prison, whereas in other Gulf states, longer sentences, flogging and even the death penalty are not unknown..." copied from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-23948083 (Interesting article)

However, according to the Canadian Government "Common-law relationships, homosexual relations, adultery and prostitution are illegal and are subject to severe punishment, including the death penalty." copied from http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/oman

Edited by Salacia

Thanks you, Balf, for your accurate responses!!

Salacia, I live in Hawaii but that doesn't mean I don't want to travel to learn about different cultures, people, history and expand my knowledge. Should I stay at home just because I live in Paradise?

I could post numerous links about the negatives of visiting Paris, Venice, Hong Kong or your state of New York but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to go there. We have been lucky enough to visit several ports in Oman 4 times and each time we have thoroughly enjoyed the people, the places, the unique history and learning about what positive things that the Sultan has provided for his people. We behave appropriately and have never had a problem. I'd return again anytime.

Aloha, Patti

Actually, Patti, I asked why you would rather be in Oman than Hawaii because I wondered if there was something going on in Hawaii that wasn't optimum, making Oman a more attractive destination. Specifically, I was interested in your reply because I'm hoping to visit Hawaii in the near future (as I explained earlier).

But I can't answer your question "Should I stay at home just because I live in Paradise?" because I've never lived in Paradise :D

Anyway, thanks for your reply. Aloha -S.