Is MSC the best choice?

Iaminspired

Hi Everyone

I have a friend who has booked back to back European cruises on Musica and Magnifica in July for her family of 4. They are Canadian and often travel to Florida for vacations. They are an average family, not into fancy but appreciative of good service, good quality and good value. They have cruised on Royal Caribbean in the past, are looking for a family friendly vacation and want to include their children (both under 10) in the things they do on this trip. Parents are 40-ish and active but not into night life.

They booked the cruise because of the "Kids Sail Free" promo but are now questioning if the cruise experience will be less than they experienced on Royal because of the much lower price. A comparable vacation on a Royal ship is so much more expensive it is unaffordable for a family of four.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Hi Everyone

I have a friend who has booked back to back European cruises on Musica and Magnifica in July for her family of 4. They are Canadian and often travel to Florida for vacations. They are an average family, not into fancy but appreciative of good service, good quality and good value. They have cruised on Royal Caribbean in the past, are looking for a family friendly vacation and want to include their children (both under 10) in the things they do on this trip. Parents are 40-ish and active but not into night life.

They booked the cruise because of the "Kids Sail Free" promo but are now questioning if the cruise experience will be less than they experienced on Royal because of the much lower price. A comparable vacation on a Royal ship is so much more expensive it is unaffordable for a family of four.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

MSC and RCI are the 2 lines i've cruised with most

I'm A Black card holder in MSC and diamond in RCI.

tHe main differences are:

A) meals:- Dinner on MSC is usually 6-7 courses, RCI 3 courses.

I find the buffet superior on RCI, but there is still a good choice on MSC

MSC is very italian based food, don't expect much in the way of veg with the main dish.

Don't expect water to be free in the MDR on MSC (US citizens maaay be given vouchers) coffee will be nonexistant but is avialbe in dedicated cofffe bars and some lounges.

B) Language:-English will be a minority language but the language of choice for crew to talk to each other

MSC use 5 langagues in their shows and the few announcements made. RCI now use three on Med cruises.

C) Staff on MSC tend to be Indonesian, Indian sub continet or east Euorpean on MSC, whereas they tend to be Carribean on RCI. So the ease of communication with staff is a little, not much in it really, easier on RCI.

Service levels are very similar with each other, but saying that I usually go for the higher end cabins (Aurea on MSC, GS on RCI), but I'm sure the service levels in all cabins is equally as good.

D) Theatre shows (There are more per cruise on mSC) are of a fairly equal standard, mSC's being mainly visual or songs from Broadway/West end shows. MSC tend to have an operatic night with good tenors and possible sopranos as one of the themed night shows (Italian night).

The two ships chosen are my favourite class (Musica class, 95,000 tonnes) and have a good range of amenities.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I am Dplus witn rccl, MSC is a family owned company and prides itself being family friendly. is there a flow rider -no, is there a dreams work parade - no. But in Europe which is very port intensive my kids did not use any of frills on the Liberty of the Seas. The kids did not even go to Johnny Rockets We have been on two med cruises with MSc and enjoyed both. if the family is looking for a Disney experience it is not for them.

How lucky for the kids to experience Europe on Cruise. if your friends want an American cruise experience perhaps the should only take one cruise.

we booked our first msc cruise shortly after the Concordia, we were very nervous about safety, a MSC has more naval experience and larger fleet due to their shipping line and prize safety.

MSC and RCI are the 2 lines i've cruised with most

I'm A Black card holder in MSC and diamond in RCI.

tHe main differences are:

A) meals:- Dinner on MSC is usually 6-7 courses, RCI 3 courses.

I find the buffet superior on RCI, but there is still a good choice on MSC

MSC is very italian based food, don't expect much in the way of veg with the main dish.

Don't expect water to be free in the MDR on MSC (US citizens maaay be given vouchers) coffee will be nonexistant but is avialbe in dedicated cofffe bars and some lounges.

B) Language:-English will be a minority language but the language of choice for crew to talk to each other

MSC use 5 langagues in their shows and the few announcements made. RCI now use three on Med cruises.

C) Staff on MSC tend to be Indonesian, Indian sub continet or east Euorpean on MSC, whereas they tend to be Carribean on RCI. So the ease of communication with staff is a little, not much in it really, easier on RCI.

Service levels are very similar with each other, but saying that I usually go for the higher end cabins (Aurea on MSC, GS on RCI), but I'm sure the service levels in all cabins is equally as good.

D) Theatre shows (There are more per cruise on mSC) are of a fairly equal standard, mSC's being mainly visual or songs from Broadway/West end shows. MSC tend to have an operatic night with good tenors and possible sopranos as one of the themed night shows (Italian night).

The two ships chosen are my favourite class (Musica class, 95,000 tonnes) and have a good range of amenities.

Pete

I hope you don't mind me jumping in. We are considering a cruise on Musica from Dubai next Jan, we've done many cruises, D+ on RCL, but never tried MSC before. The price is really good, nearly £500 cheaper than a similar cruise on Splendour and it includes the Cheers package too. We've done a couple of Costa cruises and I'm thinking MSC may be similar.

Your comparison was really helpful but I wondered about the cabins. We are looking at a standard balcony (Fantastica level), do you know how this compares to a D1/E1 on RCL.

Is tea/coffee available in the buffet or is this extra charge?

Are there any other important things to be aware of?

Thanks,

Julie

We are booked on our second MSC cruise this coming July and we have 2 kids, now they are 7 and 10 yrs old. They loved the experience so much they asked to go again despite not liking the kids club due to language barrier. Kids enjoyed the pool, 4 D cinema and the fact that we can explore different countries everyday and not to mention the pizzas :)

Thanks,

Julie

yes (almost) 24 hours a day :) coffee, tea and water at no extra charge.

MSC really go out of their way to make children feel special and welcome. The waiters will make a fuss of them and the entertainment staff will spoil them. My family has loved cruising on MSC.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in. We are considering a cruise on Musica from Dubai next Jan, we've done many cruises, D+ on RCL, but never tried MSC before. The price is really good, nearly £500 cheaper than a similar cruise on Splendour and it includes the Cheers package too. We've done a couple of Costa cruises and I'm thinking MSC may be similar.

Your comparison was really helpful but I wondered about the cabins. We are looking at a standard balcony (Fantastica level), do you know how this compares to a D1/E1 on RCL.

Usually available at the tea/coffee station just outside the buffet doors in the open area pool area café, not always the best tasting drink.

Thanks,

Julie

I'm sorry to say that I have no experience of Balcony cabins on RCI as I've always had a Junior or Grand Suite; however on one of our cruises my daughters had a D1 cabin on Splendour of the Seas, which was one of the "bolt-on" balconies added in the 2011 refit. it was best described as cosy with a shortage of storage;

The one thing that RCI did have that MSC doesn't is FREE 24hr room service. Although Fanastica has free breakfast room service from :07:00 - 10:00.

Beware of the T&Cs on the Cheers and Allegrissimmo packages as ALL the occupants of a cabin or members of a group travelling together and sharing a dining table must buy the package. I've found the Cheers package inconvenient with its limited times and only being available in the MDRs and Buffet .

The Allegrissimmo I've had on several occasions and found it to be good value even as light drinkers (which we are) especially when taking into account the 15% service charge payable on non package drinks.

One other point to remember is that the Reception staff are nearly always polite and friendly but are using their 2nd or 3rd language to speak English, so a bit of patience may be required in getting the answer you require. It may need the summonsing of another member of staff to assist, they often ask that themselves , but be prepared to ask nicely for another member of staff to help.

Pete

pS

T&Cs for ALLEGRISSIMMO

allegrisssimoagian.jpg

Julie (Kernow),

I've just noticed that you are getting the Cheers package as part of the deal so make best use of it as I don't think you can upgrade it to the Allegrisimmo package.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the Cheers package is part of the deal so we will take that and just pay for any other drinks as we go. We're not big drinkers and will be in port everyday so won't be too much extra. We had the similar x1 on Costa and didn't spend on many extra drinks.

I think we'll probably give MSC a try, it always nice to try something new and the prices certainly seem reasonable.

Julie