Transportation Japan

AZbeachboy

We are trying to plan a cruise for Japan next year. Does anyone have information on the Bus service (shuttle) from Narita Aiport to Yokohoma. We would come in a few days early and book a hotel. I tried the Asian board and there was not a lot of comment about the travel between.

I would also like to get some suggestions on moderate hotels in Yokohoma that anyone has used.

Thanks ahead of time, Jim

We are trying to plan a cruise for Japan next year. Does anyone have information on the Bus service (shuttle) from Narita Aiport to Yokohoma. We would come in a few days early and book a hotel. I tried the Asian board and there was not a lot of comment about the travel between.

I would also like to get some suggestions on moderate hotels in Yokohoma that anyone has used.

Thanks ahead of time, Jim

Hi Jim,

DH and I did the Japan season last year. We didn't fly into Narita, I think it was Haneda, however the buses are available everywhere. We used what they call a "limousine bus" which operates from the airport. They are brilliant and beautifully organised, like everything in Japan. We purchased our tickets at the airport, paid, and waited for the bus to arrive. We were assisted with our luggage and the service couldn't have been better. It didn't cost much and was a wonderful service.

Nicki

Thank You Nicki. I had thought about using that airport as well. When I looked at connection and arrival times and how long it took, it seemed the other airport might be a better choice. When I read reviews people were talking about carring their luggage on the train. Forget that.

A guestion. Will these limo buses drop you at a hotel or just the cruise port.

The website you need is http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/.

I've used the bus service from Kansai Airport which is similar and they drop off at the central bus stations or train stations in the town. The above website does show one hotel drop-off in Shin-Yokohama and that is the Prince Hotel.

If you want direct service to a hotel, you will probably have to find a private car limo service.

Thank You Nicki. I had thought about using that airport as well. When I looked at connection and arrival times and how long it took, it seemed the other airport might be a better choice. When I read reviews people were talking about carring their luggage on the train. Forget that.

A guestion. Will these limo buses drop you at a hotel or just the cruise port.

Hi Jim,

We were lucky in that the bus stop was only a hop, skip and a jump from our hotel in Yokohama.

We ended up moving hotels, and we noticed a bus stop outside the Intercontinental hotel in Yokohama. Where are you staying?

Tamara has posted a good site for you to check.

Good luck.

Nicki

Thanks for information. I only had seen part of that web site when I googled for info, now I understand it better.

We do not have a hotel yet. I look at those on the internet. Daiwa Roynet Hotel Shinyokohama, Daiwa Roynet Hotel Yokohama Kannai, Hotel JAL City Kannai Yokohama. I know the JAL brand. What hotels have people stayed in and was your stays like. Thanks.

Jim.

We've flown into Narita a couple of times. For what it's worth Narita is on completely the other side of Tokyo from Yokohama. Haneda would be much closer to Yokohama. I have no idea what shuttle services are available at Haneda but if there is something that works for you; it might be considerably cheaper (if that's an issue).

Greg

We stayed at the Intercontinental Grand Hotel Yokohama. Lovely hotel. It's big shaped like a giant satsuma segment and easily identifiable from the cruise terminal so you can walk to hotel from cruise terminal avoiding taxi and language problems. I did not even have a map but viewed it all on YouTube and headed directly to the building across the leisure park areas. It is opposite Cosmos World theme park and hotel staff there got us a taxi to Narita which is expensive alternatively use the shuttle bus. Staff speak English and sort anything out you need. If you go too down market on hotels in Japan language can become an issue and you need photocopies of all Japanese addresses in their script otherwise you can become a bit lost.

Regards John

Thanks John.

Hi Jim,

We have stayed at both the Intercontinental Hotel Yokohama and also the Monterey. The limousine bus dropped us at the Monterey. We preferred the IC as we try to stay with them whenever we travel, however, it depends on the price.

Good luck.

Nicki

When are you cruising?

I do not know. I am trying to set up for a cruise next year, however not all the Japan curises have been listed yet.

I have always done my own planning and never been affraid. But, the Japanesse web sites even in English can be difficult to understand. Somertimes they do not seem detailed orientated.

Even the travel sites here in the US are hard to trust. They will very more than I have ever seen between say Orbits and Booking.com. Most the time Japan and Jal sites of Japan are half the price of those in the US.

So I am glad I am studying ahead of time. I though for the first time I would use the Crusie lines to set everything up. However they are of no use since the dates and itenerarys have not be set up yet.

I do not know. I am trying to set up for a cruise next year, however not all the Japan curises have been listed yet.

I have always done my own planning and never been affraid. But, the Japanesse web sites even in English can be difficult to understand. Somertimes they do not seem detailed orientated.

Even the travel sites here in the US are hard to trust. They will very more than I have ever seen between say Orbits and Booking.com. Most the time Japan and Jal sites of Japan are half the price of those in the US.

So I am glad I am studying ahead of time. I though for the first time I would use the Crusie lines to set everything up. However they are of no use since the dates and itenerarys have not be set up yet.

Starting early is great. I would almost guarantee that you can do much better than what a cruise line will do for you. I have just gone through over a year of planning for a cruise Bali to Osaka with 10 days land before and 8 days in Japan after cruise. My method for hotels is to book through American chains or other chains I have experience with on their own sites. I am member of many loyalty clubs and AAA and AARP all of which can get you deals. I book my room in the hotel that I want (usually location, location, location is the factor) at the best rate possible for FULLY CANCELLABLE room. Secured with credit card (be sure to let cards know you are traveling or they will block payment -- allow charges from country you are visiting much earlier than travel -- can't book room if credit card blocks and it is more of a problem now than it used to be). Then I just keep checking and rebook the room when a deal comes along. I got an executive King at the Tokyo Hilton for $169 with breakfast during a sale this fall. If at 4 weeks out, prepaid is a better price then I prepay -- if just a little better I will wait until checkout. This is working for me. I need a comfortable bed and of a size I am used to with amenities that I like. If I am aging -- well let me do it in style. Price is one consideration but now other factors like distance to sites, ease of transportation and ease of meals etc. have more bearing as I don't want to waste my energy on these things instead of seeing the city I came to see.

Edited by Bowie MeMe