Would Thomson do better if ...

Sorry - please don't shoot me down --- but have to ask this question:

Would Thomson do better if they had newer ships?

Just speaking from our experience, we have been looking at a Thomson cruise for years. For our first proper cruise we decided to go with the then Ocean Village 2 stay / cruise as they had a never ship with more balconies. (Shows how ling we have been looking at Thomson)

Since then we have sailed with Celebrity and P&O. Recently we decided to go with P&O Oceana for a week rather than the Spirit as the price and on board credit was so much cheaper ------------ even though we lost a £400 deposit paid for a Thomson holiday. I do feel that Thomson and P&O offer a similar onboard experience --------apart from the ships....

We look at the Thomson itineraries and they are amazing. We then look at the ships and are disappointed...

The German end of TUI get a former Celebrity ship ---- why not the UK market?

I am not trying to cause trouble - honest - just don't understand why a big company like TUI doesn't invest in more up to date ships yet charge quite high prices.

Please be kind - I am genuinely interested in why ....

I think you have hit the nail on the head Presto :rolleyes: I think the subject has been done to death on here. It is so unfair that the German part of Tui get new ships and the British get none!

As Julie said, the ships are very friendly. We had a two great cruises on the Spirit and the Majesty last year. Of course I am going the other way :D and trying P&O :D Also it seems a lot of other Thomson regulars are following suit!

It's Ok to put smileys on here ;)

Very good question but if you haven't tried a Thomson cruise yet, why not try one? You might be pleasantly surprised. It's not just about he hardware - the staff, entertainment, food & itineraries have always been fantastic when we have been onboard.

Hi, we have many good friends who are Thomson cruisers but I love my balcony... that's why we went with Ocean Village 2 so that I could have one.

Ironically our first mini cruise was on a Louis Cruise ship - the Marissa - and from that moment we were hooked on cruising. We had an outside cabin.

Just wish that Thomson would buy a ship for the UK market that tempts us.

I suppose we have now been spoiled with the Silhouette aft cabin and Oceana's lovely balcony. I LOVE the sea so just sitting out there so close to the sea and listening to the waves makes my holiday.

If Thomson offered a newer ship with balconies we would probably give it a go.

We've been on quite a few Thomson cruises and enjoyed them all, bar one. We decided to give P & O a try and found the overall experience very similar. We much prefer the smaller Thomson ships, finding them more characterful. Of late, the big issue is one of value for money. Thomson seem to think that a poxy kettle in your cabin and a lick of paint here and there justifies a higher price tag along with the 'platinum' tag.

We've been on quite a few Thomson cruises and enjoyed them all, bar one. We decided to give P & O a try and found the overall experience very similar. We much prefer the smaller Thomson ships, finding them more characterful. Of late, the big issue is one of value for money. Thomson seem to think that a poxy kettle in your cabin and a lick of paint here and there justifies a higher price tag along with the 'platinum' tag.

Your last sentence hits the problem spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, we have many good friends who are Thomson cruisers but I love my balcony... that's why we went with Ocean Village 2 so that I could have one.

Ironically our first mini cruise was on a Louis Cruise ship - the Marissa - and from that moment we were hooked on cruising. We had an outside cabin.

Just wish that Thomson would buy a ship for the UK market that tempts us.

I suppose we have now been spoiled with the Silhouette aft cabin and Oceana's lovely balcony. I LOVE the sea so just sitting out there so close to the sea and listening to the waves makes my holiday.

If Thomson offered a newer ship with balconies we would probably give it a go.

I'll think you find all the Thomson ships have balconies now (at a price of course) although I know of someone who booked last minute & for a week's cruise in a balcony cabin in the Majesty last year for less than £600 each!

I love sitting close to the sea too - quite happy though to sit on the promenade deck looking at the sea - prefer to be out in the open that than being 'shut away from it all' a balcony. We were on the Dream last year peak season & found plenty of places even at the height of the day away from all the hustle & bustle (which is what I'm not keen about when cruising)

I'm not sure if Thomson actually would do better if they had newer ships - do you know what, I think they would try to charge even more higher, premium prices!!!

Your last sentence hits the problem spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 years ago our Celebrity 12 day cruise on the Silhouette in an aft balcony cabin, 2 days in Rome, flights, drinks cost us less than a 2 week cruise in a suite on Thomson. (no balcony thought).

Sorry no comparison for someone just looking at the brochures to compare.

I just wish TUI would buy some newer ships --------

The idea of newer ships is always tempting, but----

not if it means a tower block at sea!

There is plenty of choice out there for people who like and want huge ships with 3000+ passengers onboard and all manner of wave riders, golf links, ice rinks etc which I for one would never use.

Not so much choice for those who think the itinerary is more important than the ship, and who enjoy being on a small ship with more personal service that can be easily navigated.

I've looked at P&O fly cruises but they seem to be considerably more expensive than Thomson, and Thomson wins hands down for itineraries.

Perhaps the other companies would do better if they copied Thomson's!

I have tried Fred Olsen and Cruise and Maritime, but not been tempted by the ports of call on other lines, no matter how much I look!

kate

The idea of newer ships is always tempting, but----

not if it means a tower block at sea!

There is plenty of choice out there for people who like and want huge ships with 3000+ passengers onboard and all manner of wave riders, golf links, ice rinks etc which I for one would never use.

Not so much choice for those who think the itinerary is more important than the ship, and who enjoy being on a small ship with more personal service that can be easily navigated.

I've looked at P&O fly cruises but they seem to be considerably more expensive than Thomson, and Thomson wins hands down for itineraries.

Perhaps the other companies would do better if they copied Thomson's!

I have tried Fred Olsen and Cruise and Maritime, but not been tempted by the ports of call on other lines, no matter how much I look!

kate

I agree re itineraries -why P&O don't do the fly cruises as in the days of OV2 is beyond me.

We have to holiday peak time so can't make use of last minute deals etc etc so have to book in advance and top rates. I suppose we compare those rather than the ones you can get cheaper at another time.

Just a note re shop size - I don't see Oceana as one of those 'blocks of flats at sea' type ships. Many P&O ships are mid size ships. The wave rider stuff comes from RCI and their new ships --- not for us either and nothing like P&O or Celebrity.

Edited by Presto2

We are tied to school holidays at the moment too and 2 weeks with Thomson to the Med departing on the same day is £350 more expensive than Celebrity to the Baltic (including flights to Southampton and hotel stay) with drinks packages and gratuities paid, except an Outside plus with Thomson and a balcony with Celebrity.

We've always enjoyed our Thomson cruises but they are just too expensive. Celebrity had a sale recently with £400 off and that made the difference. Thomson need to become more competitive and they do need more modern ships.

I would definitely cruise with Thomson again at the right price. Had the Med cruise been cheaper we would have done it. It is a fabulous itinerary and that is where they really score highly as well as the great atmosphere on their ships.

We love Thomson but are trying P&O this year ( Oriana)

Looking forward to it , we've tried Royal Caribbean and it was a lovely cruise but not as keen on the ships and general atmosphere aboard . Just not as friendly as Thomson at all , we just much prefer the whole Thomson experience 😉

Will be nice to compare P&O with Thomson however the itineraries with P&O are just not as appealing as Thomson and not as port intensive and as we live in Lincolnshire it's so much easier for us with Thomson to do a fly cruise from our local airport plus we like to be straight out to the sun , no treck to Southampton and no bay of biscay!

I know P&O do med fly cruises but just a choice of 2 itineraries repeated all summer ( which we have done) plus no local airports ( in our case ) so no good for us.

We actually like the Thomsons ships, they have character but I have to agree Thomson can seem expensive when you compare with other lines with newer ships with more facilities although you need to take into consideration that a Thomson cruise price includes a return flight which would cost around £200-£250 and if you book early also free all inclusive which can save you lots so it's not always as clear cut as it looks initially.

If you want a balcony though Thomsons are very expensive compared to other lines .

Thomsons do seem to be getting dearer overall so if we do another with them which we hope to it would be a late deal .

P&O just seen to have far better deals especially with the obc too 😄😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone ever priced up the German arm's cruise prices and compared them to the UK ships?

There is a direct comparison to be made with the Canaries cruises they do this time of year although I am not sure about the cabin classes on the German ships.

I would bet the prices are more expensive. The firm has to borrow to lease these (newer) ships and the extra cost is passed on to the passengers.

UK Thomson ships may be older but they have a distinct part of the market they aim at. That particular market may not be prepared to pay the extra costs of new ships.

Bit like Waitrose and Aldi, Aldi is still a very good brand and you can get quality if you pick and choose what you want. Aldi is also considerably cheaper than Waitrose.

Thomson has it's own little corner of the UK market. Much cheaper than other British alternatives like Cunard a little cheaper than P&O and usually Olsen.

Changing it's business plan with new ships= greater costs which would have to be passed on, they then may lose out to the other UK firms who can offer that 'British Cruise' experience.

Edited by geezer466

The 2020 sulphur dioxide emission regulations will give all old ship owners problems. Either use more expensive fuel or fit new exhaust scrubbers, expensive and maybe not economic for old ships.

Thomson are faced with two choices, cease operations or buy new ships. Tui have new ships on order for delivery up to 2018. They could add two more for Thomson for delivery in 2019/20. Leaving Thomson with a two ship operation.

As for Fred, graceful retirement?

Thomson can continue doing what they are doing for the time being but what happens if another cruise line, possible a new entrant to the market, decides to target Thomson. A new competitor could take Thomson's best bits the high quality entertainment, the port rich itineraries, the no tips policy and the friendly atmosphere and combine that with better ships and Thomson would have a problem.

Oh we are quite friendly on here Presto and don't argue very often ;);)

I've been on CC too long now to know that that may be a wish rather than reality :D:D:)

If it is reality then Thomson really DO need just one newer ship to entice some of us. :)

I've been on CC too long now to know that that may be a wish rather than reality :D:D:)

If it is reality then Thomson really DO need just one newer ship to entice some of us. :)

We are a lot more civilised on here than a lot of the other boards (hope that's not a case of famous last words......)

Thomson and Fred will need to improve the offering in the next few years or people will be looking elsewhere, it's happening now as many of us diehard Thomson cruisers are defecting to other lines.

It will be interesting to see what virgin will bring to the market.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

We are a lot more civilised on here than a lot of the other boards (hope that's not a case of famous last words......)

Thomson and Fred will need to improve the offering in the next few years or people will be looking elsewhere, it's happening now as many of us diehard Thomson cruisers are defecting to other lines.

It will be interesting to see what virgin will bring to the market.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

TUI (Thomson) are a big firm. If the UK cruising arm becomes noncompetitive they sill simply stop doing it.

If virgin come in with a better (or very similar) offer then Thomson will lose custom to them...