Car rental return to Texas City

Sheeba67

Anyone rent a car and have to return it to Texas City the day of the Cruise? How big of a pain is that, and how much is the cab ride back to the cruise terminal?

We did it recently and found it easy. We did not use a taxi. Drop off at port by Avis (using our same just-returned rental car so luggage stayed in trunk until we got to pier) was $50.

We did it recently and found it easy. We did not use a taxi. Drop off at port by Avis (using our same just-returned rental car so luggage stayed in trunk until we got to pier) was $50.

So Avis dropped you off at the port? Never heard of that before. Are they in Galveston, or did theyt take you from Texas City? Thanks for the help.

So Avis dropped you off at the port? Never heard of that before. Are they in Galveston, or did theyt take you from Texas City? Thanks for the help.

Yes, Avis (Texas City location) is trying to accommodate cruise passengers by driving them (for a fee) to/ from the Galveston cruise port. Avis does not currently have a Galveston location. Enterprise has a Galveston location, but we could not get a one way rental from them on our dates.

Here is our recent example: Our reservation included car rental return to Avis in Texas City on Sunday 1/18/15. We stayed at the Hampton Inn a stone's throw from Avis Texas City. That Avis was scheduled to open at 10 am, but when we saw they opened early that day:). We left our luggage in the rental vehicle and went inside. The Avis agent processed our return paperwork, adding a $50 cruise port drop fee to the bill. DH and I and an Avis driver went back out to the same car, and he drove us straight to the cruise port. The driver drove well and we had a pleasant conversation with him. At the port, the Avis driver knew the port workers, waving and joking with many as he pulled the car in. He waved over a porter, and our luggage went from rental car trunk to porters bin quickly. We tipped both and headed to check in.

As the first rental car returned, it was easy for us, though maybe it would be slower later (traffic and othercruisers waiting for drivers). They may use a van instead of the rental cars if multiple cruisers are waiting.

We did not use it, but they said they offer the service in the other direction, too. Our Avis driver was hoping a returning cruiser with a car reservation would call for a pick up while he was dropping us off at the cruise port.

When I was researching my Galveston options, Avis/Budget option had not been extensively discussed here on Cruise Critic. Having found it and tried it, I am trying to post about this option, so others can consider it, too.

Our one day car rental (including the $50 fee) was less than we'd have paid for a car service from IAH to Galveston hotel and then hotel shuttle from hotel to port. Plus since we had a car, we stopped for meals, bought water and wine to take aboard, and drove across the bridge to visit Glaveston the day before the cruise. having your own wheels in Texas is a big plus in my opinion.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Yes, Avis (Texas City location) is trying to accommodate cruise passengers by driving them (for a fee) to/ from the Galveston cruise port. Avis does not currently have a Galveston location. Enterprise has a Galveston location, but we could not get a one way rental from them on our dates.

Here is our recent example: Our reservation included car rental return to Avis in Texas City on Sunday 1/18/15. We stayed at the Hampton Inn a stone's throw from Avis Texas City. That Avis was scheduled to open at 10 am, but when we saw they opened early that day:). We left our luggage in the rental vehicle and went inside. The Avis agent processed our return paperwork, adding a $50 cruise port drop fee to the bill. DH and I and an Avis driver went back out to the same car, and he drove us straight to the cruise port. The driver drove well and we had a pleasant conversation with him. At the port, the Avis driver knew the port workers, waving and joking with many as he pulled the car in. He waved over a porter, and our luggage went from rental car trunk to porters bin quickly. We tipped both and headed to check in.

As the first rental car returned, it was easy for us, though maybe it would be slower later (traffic and othercruisers waiting for drivers). They may use a van instead of the rental cars if multiple cruisers are waiting.

We did not use it, but they said they offer the service in the other direction, too. Our Avis driver was hoping a returning cruiser with a car reservation would call for a pick up while he was dropping us off at the cruise port.

When I was researching my Galveston options, Avis/Budget option had not been extensively discussed here on Cruise Critic. Having found it and tried it, I am trying to post about this option, so others can consider it, too.

Our one day car rental (including the $50 fee) was less than we'd have paid for a car service from IAH to Galveston hotel and then hotel shuttle from hotel to port. Plus since we had a car, we stopped for meals, bought water and wine to take aboard, and drove across the bridge to visit Glaveston the day before the cruise. having your own wheels in Texas is a big plus in my opinion.

That is a great option, but we have a party of 8, and the Avis van is twice the cost of the Budget van I got. Do you think Avis would shuttle Budget customers? We will check tomorrow.

You didn't mention which Houston airport you're flying into and I assume your group is flying in the day before.

We used Hotwire.com to get a package for our hotel and rental car to get around and to get to Galveston. As we were cruising with another couple, we booked two king bed rooms at Super 8 League City/Kemah Area along with a Dollar full size car for the night before our Jan. 11th Navigator cruise. Cost was $120US total for all on Hotwire.com and that hotel was really nice with large rooms, included continental breakfast and is convenient to the I-45 Gulf Fwy. Hotel was approximately 15 miles south of Hobby and 25 mile from the cruise terminal.

If one selects a package, in this case a hotel and car, with Hotwire it shows the actual names of the hotel offered and you don't book blind as with the hotel only booking. Remember you can upgrade the car as the first offering is usually with a economy car. With eight in your group you could do two similar packages as the maximum persons per package is six.

To get to the ship we drove down with the rental car early on embarkation morning and drop off luggage and three of us. Then I return the car to Hobby and took the ship's transfer back, cost $32 for one, as Galveston is not the easiest port to get to without driving there yourself. This worked very well at a total cost of $170 (including gas) for the four of us other than I had to take the ship's transfer back and the bus's departure was held up for 1 1/2 hours waiting for two late arriving passengers whose flight had been delayed. I was onboard by 2 PM in spite of the above and kept the other advised of my progress by cell phone.

Above could work for a Bush airport arrival but one would have to do the ship drop off and car return much earlier to allow for the longer travel time. Cost of ship's transfer from Bush was $47 for our cruise.

I didn't pre-book the ship's transfer. I just arrange the transfer with the RCI person in the baggage area when I returned to Hobby and you can charge it to your onboard account if you show your set sail pass. Dollar or other rental companies does provid shuttle service between their location and airport.

Edited by robtulipe

That is a great option, but we have a party of 8, and the Avis van is twice the cost of the Budget van I got. Do you think Avis would shuttle Budget customers? We will check tomorrow.

Avis and Budget are at the samedesks (probably same franchisee), so in all likelihood Budget would offer the same service. I suggest you make a cancellable Budget reservation, then Call their Texas City location. I suspect they will take the reservation number and date and tell you if they can do the drop off service for you that date or not.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Another option (especially if car pricing is better or if you are more comfortable driving smaller cars rather than large vans): your big group could rent two smaller vehicles. The day of the cruise, the passengers and luggage could be dropped off at the port. The drivers could then return both cars to Texas City at the same time; only $50 drop fee should be charged as both drivers would ride together to port.

You didn't mention which Houston airport you're flying into and I assume your group is flying in the day before.

We used Hotwire.com to get a package for our hotel and rental car to get around and to get to Galveston. As we were cruising with another couple, we booked two king bed rooms at Super 8 League City/Kemah Area along with a Dollar full size car for the night before our Jan. 11th Navigator cruise. Cost was $120US total for all on Hotwire.com and that hotel was really nice with large rooms, included continental breakfast and is convenient to the I-45 Gulf Fwy. Hotel was approximately 15 miles south of Hobby and 25 mile from the cruise terminal.

If one selects a package, in this case a hotel and car, with Hotwire it shows the actual names of the hotel offered and you don't book blind as with the hotel only booking. Remember you can upgrade the car as the first offering is usually with a economy car. With eight in your group you could do two similar packages as the maximum persons per package is six.

To get to the ship we drove down with the rental car early on embarkation morning and drop off luggage and three of us. Then I return the car to Hobby and took the ship's transfer back, cost $32 for one, as Galveston is not the easiest port to get to without driving there yourself. This worked very well at a total cost of $170 (including gas) for the four of us other than I had to take the ship's transfer back and the bus's departure was held up for 1 1/2 hours waiting for two late arriving passengers whose flight had been delayed. I was onboard by 2 PM in spite of the above and kept the other advised of my progress by cell phone.

Above could work for a Bush airport arrival but one would have to do the ship drop off and car return much earlier to allow for the longer travel time. Cost of ship's transfer from Bush was $47 for our cruise.

I didn't pre-book the ship's transfer. I just arrange the transfer with the RCI person in the baggage area when I returned to Hobby and you can charge it to your onboard account if you show your set sail pass. Dollar or other rental companies does provid shuttle service between their location and airport.

Rob, I know this worked OK for you with Hobby, but it sounds like real PIT* if one were to drop passengers in Galveston the drive all the way back to Bush to return the car the catch a ship transfer back to port. Having gone back and forth to Bush, I would not recommend that to anybody. It also is likely to be more expensive than paying for the ride to port from Texas City.

For our dates, the one way rental car (we were able to use coupon code and discount code) plus gas plus drop fee totaled less than $100. Our stay at Hampton was free with HHonors points. Rates vary by seaon.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Rob, I know this worked OK for you with Hobby, but it sounds like real PIT* if one were to drop passengers in Galveston the drive all the way back to Bush to return the car the catch a ship transfer back to port. Having gone back and forth to Bush, I would not recommend that to anybody. It also is likely to be more expensive than paying for the ride to port from Texas City.

For our dates, the one way rental car (we were able to use coupon code and discount code) plus gas plus drop fee totaled less than $100. Our stay at Hampton was free with HHonors points. Rates vary by seaon.

Yes, I agree it's not as good an option for a Bush arrival flight as it would add about 25 miles each way but it could be done.

We got a nice hotel rooms for each couple, a full size car and transport for a total cost of $168 for four, $42 per person, without using any loyalty points.:D

Edited by robtulipe

Yes, I agree it's not as good an option for a Bush arrival flight as it would add about 25 miles each way but it could be done.

We got a nice hotel rooms for each couple, a full size car and transport for a total cost of $168 for four, $42 per person, without using any loyalty points.:D

Different strokes....I'm happy to use my loyalty points and you seem happy to spend your time. We both came up with workable and reasonably priced options to get to the port:)

I think both of you have great ideas. For our group, a 10 person passenger van through Costco was only $150. We pick up at IAH and drop off in Texas City, where we are staying at the Fairfield Inn. The Costco rental is through Budget, we did verify that they have cruise terminal drop off for $50 (like mentioned above, they share the same desk as Avis). They said the taxi fare is $45-$55, so if they will take our whole group to the cruise terminal for $50, that is huge. If not, I will have to make the drop off of the families at the port and then turn in the van and take a taxi or the shuttle back. This option gives us a ton of flexibilty for dinner, and picking up water, etc... Last year we did the Super Shuttle to Galveston and then a private shuttle back, but with additional taxi fare to the port was actually a little more than the rental car option, with no flexibility. Thanks for all the input.

I think both of you have great ideas. For our group, a 10 person passenger van through Costco was only $150. We pick up at IAH and drop off in Texas City, where we are staying at the Fairfield Inn. The Costco rental is through Budget, we did verify that they have cruise terminal drop off for $50 (like mentioned above, they share the same desk as Avis). They said the taxi fare is $45-$55, so if they will take our whole group to the cruise terminal for $50, that is huge. If not, I will have to make the drop off of the families at the port and then turn in the van and take a taxi or the shuttle back. This option gives us a ton of flexibilty for dinner, and picking up water, etc... Last year we did the Super Shuttle to Galveston and then a private shuttle back, but with additional taxi fare to the port was actually a little more than the rental car option, with no flexibility. Thanks for all the input.

Your Budget rental van does sound like a good way to transport your group, and having a vehicle for meals etc should be nice. come back and let us know how it works out for your group.

Different strokes....I'm happy to use my loyalty points and you seem happy to spend your time. We both came up with workable and reasonably priced options to get to the port:)

We were on B2B2B cruises so I knew I would have plenty of onboard time,:D

Your Budget rental van does sound like a good way to transport your group, and having a vehicle for meals etc should be nice. come back and let us know how it works out for your group.

We will. Budget did confirm that the whole group can get a ride to the cruise terminal for $50 total, if there is room for the driver.

We will. Budget did confirm that the whole group can get a ride to the cruise terminal for $50 total, if there is room for the driver.

maybe the need to preserve van space will also be a bit of extra incentive not to overpack:);)

Edited by Starry Eyes

maybe the need to preserve van space will also be a bit of extra incentive not to overpack:);)

We have been on three cruises, and each time we bring a little less. Carnival makes it that much easier with a little less formal attire required.

We wondered about that too but when I called and asked they said they didn't open until 10AM that still may be a possibility if they can take you to the port I will check into that because it may save us $70 for the Carnival Shuttle transfer

They are scheduled to open at 10 am on Sunday. Perhaps that is the francisee's choice or perhaps because they are located inside the Sears store in to mall. Avis did open a little early the day I returned our rental car, but, obviously, there is no way to know if the can/will do that on your dates. Still if you are ready to return your car when they open at 10 am, you can be at the port as early as 10:30. I see no reason to get to port earlier on boarding day.

If I were coming off the ship wanting to go to Texas City to pick up a rental car, that's when I'd like them to open earlier so I could get the car early and start my day ashore.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Thanks to YOU! We are renting a car from Avis from Hobby and returning it to Texas City day of cruise. We are actually staying at the Best Western there at TExas City. I called about this again and rethought out our plans. At least thus far this sounds like a better option for us.

Thanks to YOU! We are renting a car from Avis from Hobby and returning it to Texas City day of cruise. We are actually staying at the Best Western there at TExas City. I called about this again and rethought out

our plans. At least thus far this sounds like a better option for us.

Did you ask for the manager's special rate? When we were staying there, that was always a much less expensive rate.

Have fun.