Southern & Eastern Caribbean Itineraries

keelyhealthnut

I need a bit of itinerary help from those more experienced cruisers. We have only had the pleasure of going on Western Caribbean itineraries for Galveston and New Orleans. We will be leaving from Florida this time and are looking into Southern and Eastern itineraries. This will probably be the only chance we get to leave from a Florida port for quite a while.

We have narrowed it down to a few options all within a few hundred dollars and close proximity of dates of eachother so it comes down to ship and itinerary.

Any opinions on these options? I know that there are a ton. :eek: I also realize that it's very subjective, but appreciate your thoughts.

- 7 day on Valor...Amber Cove, Dominican Republic ; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

- 6 day on Conquest...Grand Turk; Amber Cove, Dominican Republic; Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas

- 8 day on Conquest...St. Maarten, NA ; St Kitts, WI; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

- 7 day on Glory...Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

- 7 day on Glory...Amber Cove, Dominican Republic ; St. Thomas, USVI ; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

- 8 day on Sunshine...St. Maarten, NA ; St Kitts, WI; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

- 8 day on Sunshine...Curacao; Aruba; Grand Turk

I really like the St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk one.

Each of those ports will be very very different, unique new experiences on each port day.

I have only been on the Valor, so I can't really compare any of the ship choices, but baed soley on the ports you listed this is the one I would chose.

I really like the St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk one.

Each of those ports will be very very different, unique new experiences on each port day.

I have only been on the Valor, so I can't really compare any of the ship choices, but baed soley on the ports you listed this is the one I would chose.

Interesting. Thank you very much on this perspective. I would love to expose my kids to many different types of places!

Ok waiting for your answer if there is a reason why you don't have the Valor on the list....

I chose the Valor over the Sunshine for a few reasons...granted the Valor was suppose to be in dry dock last year to get her 2.0 upgrades people remain to say she is clean, I never seen a "dirty" ship on Carnival actually....I personally don't need the Red Frog, Blue Iguana (these two are bars outdoors and are small anyways) or EA sports bar because those drinks can be made at any bar and I don't watch sports especially when I am on a cruise. I don't eat hamburgers so guys burgers isn't an issue, and the Valor does have these but for me these are mpg important but may be to you, if they are, then I have to say then choose the Sunshine over the Valor on that 8 day cruise that you have listed. The Valor does have the punch liners breakfast during sea days love love this its excellent and you can go up until 1pm! Its a must to do.

Another consideration now sure if it matters to you but the May 8th on the Valor kids and college kids will still be in school where college kids get out around mid may and then there are the parents that take out their kids the last days of school and some states school ends in the mid to end of May so you probably get more kids on the May 29th cruise than on the May 8th cruise.

My opinion about eastern/western ports, you can ALWAYS do them, as most cruises go to those places such as St. Thomas, San Juan, St. Maarten, the Bahamas and the out island.

I personally know and have an issue about going to St. Maarten and St. Thomas the Chikungunya disease (mosquito) is bad and is getting worse, I personally would rather not deal with this issue so for me I prefer to choose other islands because of this.

Dominican Republic...and those who are going to argue with me what I am going to say...save your breath! My brother in law is captain of jet blue 757, he flies to the caribbean often, he said the piers where cruise ships dock in the dominican republic are in not good areas lets say...and there are beggars out on the streets in places there and its a higher risk place of lets say something happening to your possesses and there are just a lot more thieves there. Parts of the Dominican Republic are beautiful but they are very far away from where the ship docks, I myself avoided going to this port for said reasons.

Now taking all this into consideration (my opinion again) having a cruise 8 nights is always better and its more normal when you want to go to southern caribbean ports. Aruba, Curaco and Grand Turk are all beautiful, I heard St. Kitts is also.

Im assuming the money issue is ok since your considering all these cruises, so I gather the cost is not really the option you just want to choose the best one....with that being said....my choice on the list you given is the Sunshine 8 night Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk BUT DO consider the Valor with the same itinerary and both leave from Pt. Canaveral.

The Valor was and is always considered as one of Carnivals more favorable ships and from what I read the Sunshine is the opposite but the Sunshine did get better do to her enhancements she had last year. What I also don't like about the Sunshine is the main entertainment/public deck which is deck 5, has staterooms in the aft where the Valor is ALL public space.

My first choice is Carnival Valor for May 8th then second choice Carnival Sunshine on May 29th.

Ok waiting for your answer if there is a reason why you don't have the Valor on the list....

I chose the Valor over the Sunshine for a few reasons...granted the Valor was suppose to be in dry dock last year to get her 2.0 upgrades people remain to say she is clean, I never seen a "dirty" ship on Carnival actually....I personally don't need the Red Frog, Blue Iguana (these two are bars outdoors and are small anyways) or EA sports bar because those drinks can be made at any bar and I don't watch sports especially when I am on a cruise. I don't eat hamburgers so guys burgers isn't an issue, and the Valor does have these but for me these are mpg important but may be to you, if they are, then I have to say then choose the Sunshine over the Valor on that 8 day cruise that you have listed. The Valor does have the punch liners breakfast during sea days love love this its excellent and you can go up until 1pm! Its a must to do.

Another consideration now sure if it matters to you but the May 8th on the Valor kids and college kids will still be in school where college kids get out around mid may and then there are the parents that take out their kids the last days of school and some states school ends in the mid to end of May so you probably get more kids on the May 29th cruise than on the May 8th cruise.

My opinion about eastern/western ports, you can ALWAYS do them, as most cruises go to those places such as St. Thomas, San Juan, St. Maarten, the Bahamas and the out island.

I personally know and have an issue about going to St. Maarten and St. Thomas the Chikungunya disease (mosquito) is bad and is getting worse, I personally would rather not deal with this issue so for me I prefer to choose other islands because of this.

Dominican Republic...and those who are going to argue with me what I am going to say...save your breath! My brother in law is captain of jet blue 757, he flies to the caribbean often, he said the piers where cruise ships dock in the dominican republic are in not good areas lets say...and there are beggars out on the streets in places there and its a higher risk place of lets say something happening to your possesses and there are just a lot more thieves there. Parts of the Dominican Republic are beautiful but they are very far away from where the ship docks, I myself avoided going to this port for said reasons.

Now taking all this into consideration (my opinion again) having a cruise 8 nights is always better and its more normal when you want to go to southern caribbean ports. Aruba, Curaco and Grand Turk are all beautiful, I heard St. Kitts is also.

Im assuming the money issue is ok since your considering all these cruises, so I gather the cost is not really the option you just want to choose the best one....with that being said....my choice on the list you given is the Sunshine 8 night Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk BUT DO consider the Valor with the same itinerary and both leave from Pt. Canaveral.

The Valor was and is always considered as one of Carnivals more favorable ships and from what I read the Sunshine is the opposite but the Sunshine did get better do to her enhancements she had last year. What I also don't like about the Sunshine is the main entertainment/public deck which is deck 5, has staterooms in the aft where the Valor is ALL public space.

My first choice is Carnival Valor for May 8th then second choice Carnival Sunshine on May 29th.

I looked, but didn't see the Valor for May 8, 2016. I am actually not seeing anything for May 2016 in my search. ??? Yes, the 2.0 food upgrades don't make as much of a difference to us. We don't eat meat so much of it is missed by us anyways. We also don't drink much when we cruise with our kids. Though we do have kids, I'd probably rather cruise before a bunch of kids get out of school. So thank you...May 29 is out. I did not know that about the issues in St. Maarten and St. Thomas. I will definitely have to look into that more!

The 8 day Sunshine that you refer to was actually our first pick until we started looking into more options. Maybe we should just cut it out and go back to the original plans! ;) I will see if I can find that Valor option in May. That sounds promising as well.

OP can you tell me what you like to do on the islands...water sports, just beach, sight seeing, etc?

I also feel the Valor will have dry dock before April 2016 but no date has been set yet.

It will be my husband and I (late 20s/early 30s) and two girls ages 4 and 6 at the time of cruising. We like to do a combination of relaxing on the beach while the kids play as well as sight-seeing. We love to be able to use public transportation or walking on our own rather than doing organized tours unless it's more of a destination type sight seeing situation much further away from the actual port.

My favorite ports are Half Moon and Grand Turk

Carnival Splendor 2013

Carnival Pride 2014

Carnival Splendor 2014

Carnival Pride 2015

Thanks for the input! I was *just* looking into Half Moon and it looks like it could be the perfectly relaxing day that we are looking for.

Im so sorry I am thinking this year, your going 2016 sorry for the mixup.

7 day Valor out avoid Dominican Republic

6 day Conquest out avoid Dominican Repubic and its one less day

7 day Glory out avoid Dominican Republic

Avoid Dominican Republic especially if you going to use public transportation and walk around and not do a ships tour. By the way, we NEVER do a ships tour I generally hire a private tour guide which I find online most of the time or in port and negotiate a price and tell them what you want to see and do.

This leaves:

- 8 day on Conquest...St. Maarten, NA ; St Kitts, WI; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

- 7 day on Glory...Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

- 8 day on Sunshine...St. Maarten, NA ; St Kitts, WI; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk

Before I can say more I need to know more what you want:

My next question is do you prefer more port days or sea days or it doesn't matter.

Why would you be so Negative Nellie about Dom Rep when Carnival's first cruise to Amber Cove will not be until Oct 2015?

Misslucy01

Negative Nellie here for a good reason.

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/dominican-republic

(click on security)

also

Safety and Security

Foreign tourists are often considered attractive targets for criminal activity and you should maintain a low profile to avoid becoming a victim of violence or crime. In dealing with local police, you should be aware that the standard of professionalism might vary. Police attempts to solicit bribes have been reported, as have incidents of police using excessive force.

Protests, demonstrations, and general strikes occur periodically. Previous political demonstrations have sometimes turned violent, with participants rioting and erecting roadblocks, and police sometimes using deadly force in response. Political demonstrations do not generally occur in areas frequented by tourists and are generally not targeted at foreigners. However, it is advisable to exercise caution when traveling throughout the country. Street crowds should be avoided. In urban areas, travel should be conducted on main routes whenever possible. Power outages occur frequently throughout the Dominican Republic, and travelers should remain alert during blackout periods, as crime rates often increase during these outages.

If you are considering overland travel between the Dominican Republic and Haiti, you should first consult the Country Specific Information page, the Travel Warning for Haiti, and the Messages for U.S. citizens page on the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince's website for information about travel conditions in Haiti. While Santo Domingo and the majority of the tourist destinations within the Dominican Republic are located several hours from the Haitian border, the January 12, 2010 earthquake in Haiti has contributed to increased congestion in the area between Barahona, Dominican Republic, and the Haitian border along route 44.

The U.S. Embassy cautions its staff to use extreme caution while in Haiti. Other than official business, travel to Haiti for U.S. Embassy personnel is discouraged. The Department of State has issued a Travel Warning for Haiti. U.S. citizens who travel to Haiti despite this Warning, especially in the area along route 44 near the border of Haiti, should travel in groups during daylight hours and use caution. There have been several cases of convoys being attacked along this route despite the extra safety precautions.

Drivers who encounter illegal roadblocks should stop a significant distance away, drive in reverse or turn around, and drive to the nearest town to report the blockade to local authorities. Drivers should do their best to leave the danger zone and get to safety.

Edited by lyndamr

Before I can say more I need to know more what you want:

My next question is do you prefer more port days or sea days or it doesn't matter.

Usually I would want to get in as many port days as possible. However, we are following this cruise with a week at Disney World with extended family so I am thinking that more chill sea days might be appropriate. (That was painful to say - I love ports! haha) I think right now I am leaning towards the 8 day on Sunshine...Curacao; Aruba; Grand Turk. Looking into it more, the Sunshine has a lot for my kiddos to do. However, I have heard some negative things about the ship so I am a bit wary.

The 8 day Sunshine is my pick. Amazing ports that are safe to explore. Ship gets some mixed reviews, but really, don't all the ships??

Any Jamaica port is a port where we stay on the ship. Two negative experiences - never again. DR port was Samana where they dove with a local scuba shop. The boys loved the dives - rest of the port was sketchy. We also went to the DR for a wedding - it's a "stay at the resort" kind of place. My opinion.

Why isn't the Carnival Valor on the list for May 8th Curacao, Aruba and Grand Turk, 8 days our of Pt. Canaveral!!

I thought Valor was undergoing drydock to get full "funship 2.0" upgrades shortly after March?

Valor was suppose to get the upgrades last year but for some reason she didn't...I wonder if it had anything to do with financials situations since Carnival had their hands full with expenses with the ships in 2013 having to be "rap aired", there is no info when she get her next dry dock but from the places I read it appears it may be in 2016