What are the must see things in Adelaide

Chip28

We are on a cruise of New Zealand and Australia in the next couple of weeks and one of our stops is Adelaide.

As we are only there for one day, can anyone suggest the 'must see' things in Adelaide and would there be anyone offering tours/trips on the keyside.

Thanks for your help

I've been to Adelaide a couple of times and your own interests would determine what's a "must see".

If you enjoy native animals, a visit to the Cleland Wildlife Park is well worth a visit.

If you enjoy museums, don't miss the (free) South Australian Museum.

If you want to learn something about Australia's convict history, do a self-guided tour of the Adelaide Gaol.

If you're a chocolate lover, you'll want to head to one of the Haigh's Chocolate stores. (Haigh's is the oldest family-owned chocolate maker in Australia.)

There's lot more things to see and do in Adelaide which are likely described in any Australian guidebook.

As GradUT said, it really does depend on what you like.

If you're a foodie then check out the Central Market (you can do guided tours). Just be careful about buying stuff if you have to take it into other states in Aus, or NZ (for quarantine reasons)

The Adelaide Zoo has the only Giant Pandas in Australia

Glenelg is the major beach, although there are number of beaches that are good. They're not surf beaches like those that you find around the coast of Australia.

It depends on how long your "day" is to do some other things. You could probably get to the village of Hahndorf where you can get food, wine, artisan products etc. Alternatively if you like wine you might be able to get to McLaren Vale but it really does depend on how much time you have ashore.

I've been to Adelaide a couple of times and your own interests would determine what's a "must see".

If you want to learn something about Australia's convict history, do a self-guided tour of the Adelaide Gaol.

GredUT, Don't want to mislead a visitor :D we don't have a convict history in South Australia, we were freely settled - no convict prisons.

OP, you will be greeted by representatives from South Australian Tourism who last time I saw them wear bright blue polo shirts. They can direct you to free transport into the city (bus and train), advise of any tours and tell you the best spots to visit given your particular interests.

You might like to visit Viator to pre book a tour but if you just feel like doing you own thing Adelaide is a very 'walkable' city and easy to get around.

As for the Central Market, it is fascinating, but only open on certain days so if you want to go there, check the day you are in port.

There is not much round the Port itself to do, so be prepared to at least hop on the train and go to the CBD.

So my list would be:

- if you would like to see Australian animals - Cleland National Park

- if you are in the city, definitely go to Haighs and get some chocolate - delish.

- catch a train into the city then hop on a tram to Glenelg for the beach, the tram is right by the train station

- wineries, wineries, wineries - if you are into wines, get off the beaten track and head to McLaren Vale or the Adelaide Hills instead of the well worn path to the Barossa

- in the City, walk North Terrace for architecture, parliament, museum, art gallery, etc and then go into the Rundle Mall and take your photo reflected into the Malls Balls

- while I suggested Glenelg above for a beach visit, that is our busy beach, if you are into swimming etc check out our other less visited beaches but you may need to be creative with transport

- personally I would not suggest Hahndorf as I find it a bit touristy but lots of people love it

- it can be our hottest time of the year, so take plenty of water, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat etc and pace yourself

- as being suggested the Adelaide Zoo, it is a small inner city zoo and because of that is unusual and does have the Pandas at the moment. It is a very pretty Zoo but you don't come a long way just to visit a Zoo

- if you have time a walk through our Botanic Gardens at the other end of North Terrace from the Train Station is very relaxing and pleasant, along with some interesting Australian plants to see as well as international

- If it is open, again hop on the tram and get off near the corner of Gouger Street and go to the Adelaide Central markets, check their web site for tours. It is not a glamorous market but full of hustle and bustle, good food and interesting sights, I love it.

- If you like your sports the new Adelaide Oval conducts tours.

If you had more time I could suggest a lot more, but these give you a microcosm of Adelaide that are fairly easy to get to.

yes, Cleland Wildlife Park is worth a visit as it is one of a few places in Australia where you can hold a koala (for an additional fee, of course).

the other places are in Brisbane and Cairns in Queensland.