Uber for Bayport(Houston) Cruise Terminal?

kwokpot

It seems that Uber operates in the city of Houston & according to their website the areas covered include the Bayport Cruise Terminal. Has anyone used them for transport to/from Hobby airport and/or from adjoining towns (La Porte,Seabrook,Webster) to the cruiseport? I'm wondering on availability and cost, which I assume should always be less than a cab. Thank for anyone that can give any feedback. I have seen VERY LITTLE postings on using UBER for port transfers.

We looked at booking Uber from our Hobby Airport hotel to the Bayport Cruise terminal in December. The Uber quotes varied widely with some being a little less than the quote we got from Pasadena Taxi ($50) and some being a lot more. We ended up going with Pasadena Taxi because there were 4 of us and we were assured of getting a cab with sufficient room for us and our luggage.

Upon our return from the cruise, we just got a taxi from the taxi rank. It turned out to be another Pasadena Taxi and the driver gave us 3 quotes for 3 ways to return to Hobby Airport. We chose the "middle" quote of $60 and were there in the time our driver estimated. Even if you choose to go with Uber, it may help to know that $60 is an average amount to pay for the trip from Bayport to Hobby.

We looked at booking Uber from our Hobby Airport hotel to the Bayport Cruise terminal in December. The Uber quotes varied widely with some being a little less than the quote we got from Pasadena Taxi ($50) and some being a lot more. We ended up going with Pasadena Taxi because there were 4 of us and we were assured of getting a cab with sufficient room for us and our luggage.

Upon our return from the cruise, we just got a taxi from the taxi rank. It turned out to be another Pasadena Taxi and the driver gave us 3 quotes for 3 ways to return to Hobby Airport. We chose the "middle" quote of $60 and were there in the time our driver estimated. Even if you choose to go with Uber, it may help to know that $60 is an average amount to pay for the trip from Bayport to Hobby.

Thanks for your info. I was planning on using Pasadena to take us from our rental car dropoff in Webster to the Bayport Terminal. I wanted to see if Uber was a better alternative; I can always do a sample quote from them the day before to see what the price is before i reserve with Pasadena. Thanks again!

I have been monitoring Uber driver presence near the Bayport terminal for several months. My plan is the reverse of yours--to take an Uber from the terminal to pick up a car in Webster, which we will return at IAH. Seems there are always cars around when ships are in port. Btw, I plan to send my MIL or FIL whom I will be traveling with a first time user code to get us a free ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We booked Hilton Garden Inn Webster for 60.00 night on Priceline. Parked our car there for free.We got Houston Travel Zone to pick us up at hotel, take us to port and when we returned they were waiting for us. 10.00 per person each way. Can't beat them for service and cleanliness. I wish they served Port of Galveston too but they stopped and only do Bayport.

We booked Hilton Garden Inn Webster for 60.00 night on Priceline. Parked our car there for free.We got Houston Travel Zone to pick us up at hotel, take us to port and when we returned they were waiting for us. 10.00 per person each way. Can't beat them for service and cleanliness. I wish they served Port of Galveston too but they stopped and only do Bayport.

Sugcarol: Thanks for the info! Did you get the hotel through the bidding process, or it was a regular, known hotel booking? And may I ask when about that was? Also, what is Houston Travel Zone? I tried to google it, but nothing with that exact name comes up as a transfers company. Thanks!

I bid on Priceline in October for the night of 12/13/14. I picked the Webster, TX area. Fast food, restaurants, shopping all close to hotel. Would stay there again. I will try to locate phone number for Houston travel Zone.

Edited by sugcarol

Sorry for taking so long to get you phone number. The gal you need to talk to is Sherry Tinerella at 281-326-8050. She will handle by phone and email.

Thanks so much for the information. I'm going to call and get a quote!

• 1 month later...

We used UBER from Hobby to Bayport on a Sunday, the cost was $34. The driver had a Ford Fiesta so the two of us and our luggage just about fit. We could have made three with luggage work, but it would have been tight.

Bayport to Hobby proved trickier. We checked an hour before we were scheduled to disembark and no UBERX vehicles were available. We checked again right before our disembarkation time, same thing. Checked one last time as we were about to walk over to the taxis and an UBERX driver was two minutes away. He had just dropped off a couple early for their cruise. He was driving a Nissan Pathfinder which had a little more room. Cost was $39 which I attribute to peak pricing.

Both of our drivers had never been to the Bayport Cruise port, and, given its location, it might be a spotty place to get picked up from.

This was our first time using UBER (our adult kids had to convince us to try it out). We had a great experience with both drivers and found the whole process quite fun. We had no problem spotting the UBER car both times so we could waive them over. Next time we are thinking of printing out the UBER logo so it might be easier for the driver to pick us out of the crowd waiting to be picked up.

• 8 months later...

Uber drivers are abundant at Bayport on weekends. Most arrive around 7am, timing the ships arrival though many arrive by 8am, the earliest time we can leave ship.

If you do not see Uber cars at Bayport an hour before 8am, it is because Request onlt when you are our of customs and walking outside. You maybe able to schedule with a driver but be advised as drivers are paid only .15 a minute to wait and Uber is an on demand service, not all drivers will wait an hour for you as they may miss out on other riders who are ready to go. The most we ever asked was a 10 minute wait and had the driver start the the time. We also tipped the driver in cash as tip is not included in the app and we were made aware that drivers are not reimbursed for fuel and maintenance from Uber as independent contractors.

Many of our friends drive and have given us this insight. Feel free to use our promo code "UBERVIPTRIP" for $15 off your first trip.