Now what? Early PAT and chicken fingers

Mbrthelegend

We have a PAT of 10:30. So I assume we will be on the ship by 11:30? We don't need tickets for meet and greets, dinner reservations or any other things from guest services. We board and have lunch....then what? Would we expect the pools to be filled to capacity early in the day? What about the line for the slide? Our teen won't want anything to do with the clubs. Will the theater be showing movies? Tours of the ship? Other activities? I have a 13 year old boy who thinks it's going to be lame and boring.

His main concern is his love of Disney chicken fingers!! How do the ships chicken fingers compare? Please tell me they are the sAme frozen prepared child friendly ones and not hand breaded chicken breasts. Are they readily available in the MDRs? And what is the French Fry situation? #thirdworldworries #cruisingwitha13yearold

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a PAT of 10:30. So I assume we will be on the ship by 11:30? We don't need tickets for meet and greets, dinner reservations or any other things from guest services. We board and have lunch....then what? Would we expect the pools to be filled to capacity early in the day? What about the line for the slide? Our teen won't want anything to do with the clubs. Will the theater be showing movies? Tours of the ship? Other activities? I have a 13 year old boy who thinks it's going to be lame and boring.

His main concern is his love of Disney chicken fingers!! How do the ships chicken fingers compare? Please tell me they are the sAme frozen prepared child friendly ones and not hand breaded chicken breasts. Are they readily available in the MDRs? And what is the French Fry situation? #thirdworldworries #cruisingwitha13yearold

With a 10:30 PAT, you will be in the early boarders. Boarding begins around 11:30 with any B2B cruisers, Concierge, Family of the day, Platinum Castaway Club level, then by boarding numbers.

The pools are less busy right away but do start filling up as more and more people get onboard.

Can't say about movies, as that's not what we were looking for, but I'm not sure movies start before the muster drill (I could be wrong).

There is usually an Orientation tour, just check the Navigator for time and start location.

Can't speak to whether the chicken tenders are the same as WDW, but they are the same on all the ships. They are my go-to mid-afternoon snack. Served with French fries. Or not, as you wish.

My son is incredibly picky about the chicken tenders/fingers he will eat. Rest assured your son will be very satisfied with the chicken fingers on the ship. My son said they taste just like the ones at Disney World.

There will be no movies in the theater on the first day until after 6 pm. There isn't really much going on before early dinner except visiting clubs, open houses for kid clubs, one funnel movie, ship tour and swimming in the pools and using water slides. Food isn't technically scheduled to be served until noon, but they usually open a little earlier.

Go to the disneycruiseblog.com and look at the Navigators for your cruise. You will be able see every activity around the clock for your entire cruise.

Don't worry about your 13 year old, unless he hates all things Disney he and your family will have a fantastic time.

Here is a little more insight on the fingers. Your son can have chicken fingers and fries served to him at every meal in all of the standard dining rooms. They will bring him as much as he wants. How do I know this? My son has autism and that is exactly what he ordered for every meal on our last Disney cruise. Additionally, there is an endless supply of fingers and fries available all day by the pool deck.

Also, just go to Google and search for Disney Navigators. That will pull up the site I referred you to earlier. Enjoy your cruise!

My picky one thinks the chicken fingers on the ship are excellent. And if you are really picky, tell them you will wait while they cook a fresh batch (rather than taking them out of a "keep hot" drawer.

In my recent experience, boarding has started about 11:15. So, yes, you'll be among the low boarding numbers. Have lunch. Either wear swimsuits under clothes or have them in carry ons--early on boarding day is actually one of the best times for the pools/slides because there are no lines. There is the "art of the Theme Ship" tour. No movies till after muster drill except on stateroom TVs (rooms usually available at 1:30) Explore the ship on your own, do the tour, go see the Vibe (so he can tell you that he thinks it is lame), etc.

Explore the ship on your own' date=' do the tour, go see the Vibe (so he can tell you that he thinks it is lame), etc.[/quote']

Sorry, my mistake. At 13, he'll be in the Edge. Too bad that he won't like computers, video games....video scavenger hunt, "make your own commercial," etc. But you know, it's the age. Don't let him anywhere near the good stuff!

Fries--same deal, ask for a fresh cooked batch. They get quite nasty when they sit a while.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think he is all that different from most 13-14 year old boys. I suspect that many won't enjoy the clubs. They spend their time playing particular video games online with their peers. They steer away from overt organized "group activities" like scavenger hunts. Making their own video, dancing, and Disney theme computer games don't appeal to a lot of boys this age.

Sorry, I was being facetious. He's at a hard age. If he makes a friend on the cruise, they will likely hang out the entire time. If not, he'll be a loner.

My only hint would be to TRY to get him to go to the initial session in the Edge on the first night (usually at 10 or 10:30). It's basically a meet and greet, but they do make plans for the week. If he doesn't go, he won't meet anyone and will have no input into things.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think he is all that different from most 13-14 year old boys. I suspect that many won't enjoy the clubs. They spend their time playing particular video games online with their peers. They steer away from overt organized "group activities" like scavenger hunts. Making their own video, dancing, and Disney theme computer games don't appeal to a lot of boys this age.

I hope you are pleasantly surprised.

ex techie

But if he doesn't go that first night, he won't feel welcome any other night (not that the club will make him feel welcome, but it's hard to go later because you FEEL left out and like you know no one), and he won't have peers to hang out with. And then the cruise WILL stand a chance at being fairly lame and boring in his eyes.

But if he doesn't go that first night, he won't feel welcome any other night (not that the club will make him feel welcome, but it's hard to go later because you FEEL left out and like you know no one), and he won't have peers to hang out with. And then the cruise WILL stand a chance at being fairly lame and boring in his eyes.

I agree. Who else will he have his own age to complain it is so lame with unless he meets other's that think the same and who will sit on the stairs with him?

Mbrthelegend, do you really want a sulky bored 13 year old stinking up the Stateroom all day?!

Attendance on the first night's meet and great should be mandatory like the emergency drill! lol!

ex techie

I felt the same way about my 11 year old at first. Worried that he was going to find everything boring or lame... but thanks to the craptacular weather we have been having, I think he's just going to be glad to be somewhere where the sun actually shines and he can be outside without a heavy jacket, hat, boots and gloves. I swear he's getting rickets.

I agree. Who else will he have his own age to complain it is so lame with unless he meets other's that think the same and who will sit on the stairs with him?

Mbrthelegend, do you really want a sulky bored 13 year old stinking up the Stateroom all day?!

Attendance on the first night's meet and great should be mandatory like the emergency drill! lol!

ex techie

Indeed I will make him go the first night. I can assure you I have no plans on dealing with a sulky teen...they won't let him in the spa ;-)