Cape Liberty parkers beware!!!

An adjuster for Crawford & Company looked at my car 5 days ago and in today's mail I received his estimate which is $200 less than my auto body shop's estimate. My auto body shop wants to use clay to remove the paint and the adjustor suggested that the car be wet sanded. The adjustor also said their insurance company would pick up the fee for a reasonable car rental. He said I would have to lay out the money up front and they would reimburse me.

For those of you who have had their cars repaired, did the auto body shop use clay or did they wet sand your car?

inai - Professor Overspray, who would be doing the work if you took the car back to Bayonne Drydock uses the clay. So, if the company that they hired to remedy the situation is using clay themselves, why shouldn't their insurance cover the same level of service?

I would say no to the wet sanding and insist on the clay. As I said previously - our SUV came out magnificently.

Howard

.....and since Bayonne Drydock admitted guilt 100% we should be reimbursed 100% for our damages...that's bs that they are trying to chew us down. I'm still waiting to hear back from their insurance company. It's been over a week now since the adjuster looked at my car.

What is everyone's else's feeling about accepting less than the cost of the repair?

Howard, Thank you for your input. I am going with clay.

Princess SunFlower, You will probably receive your adjustors estimate any day now.

As for the difference in the two estimates, I am going to let my auto body shop and the adjustor work that out. AND, I am not going to sign anything until I am 100% satisfied.

When I brought in the insurance company's estimate to a repair shop, they said there is no way they would even get involved for that low of an estimate and that it wasn't even close to the amount of labor involved. I brought it into another shop and told them that to deal with the insurance company. Hopefully it will be resolved before my appointment in a couple of weeks.

Here is another bit of news that "Bayonne Parker's Beware" may not have known. <H1 class=red>Rash of cruise port car break-ins

</H1>

Monday, September 26, 2005 By JASON DEL REY

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Vacationers who left from the Bayonne cruise port got quite a surprise recently when some returned to find their cars broken into - and notes from the police informing them of that fact.

A Jersey City ex-convict who had served 21/2 years in prison for burglary and assault was arrested and charged with breaking into 14 cars in the parking lot of the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, reports said.

Keashaun Holland, 26, of Lexington Avenue, was arrested around 12:47 a.m. on Sept. 17 at the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor and charged with burglary, theft, receiving stolen property, possession of burglary tools and defiant trespassing, police said.

Reports said that a security guard at the former military base flagged down officers and told them he saw a man leaving the parking lot with a backpack and had asked him what he was doing there, police said.

Reports said Holland told the security worker that he had been fishing and kept walking, but the security guard did not see any fishing equipment so he notified police.

Officers found 14 vehicles in the parking lot with their windows smashed in and detectives, who had been given a description of the suspect, apprehended Holland a short time later at Avenue E and 45th Street, reports said, where the security guard identified him.

Police found $12 in change, DVDs, CDs, a pair of headphones, video games and one pre-approved credit card belonging to an owner of one of the cars in Holland's bag, police said. A large rock was also found in his possession, which he allegedly used to bust the car windows, police added.

Nancy Kist, executive director for the Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority - which owns the property rented by the Cruise Port - said she could not discuss details of security on the former base but said she was thankful the suspect was caught.

"We certainly have a lot of fencing but I'd be interested to see where the breach occurred," she said.

Reports said notes were left on the cars telling the owners to call the Bayonne Police Department when they returned from their trip. Lt. Peter Nevins said the victims returned last Sunday.

Holland is being held at the Hudson County jail in Kearny on $100,000 bail with a 10 percent cash option, reports said.

I have not yet parked at Bayonne and ask those of you who did, was it not advertised as a safe secure parking facility? If so, does not that mean either a security guard and or 24 vdeo? Sounds to me like leaving your car in the mall parking lot for the week!

I do know that when the ships left from Manhattan, the cars parked on the pier for the week were secure by basically closing off the pier to any pedestrians by locking it up. I guess someone could have always climbed on the pier from a boat but would dout it!:confused:

One more question to the folks who had the damage from the break ins:

Who is paying to repair the damage on the cars? You and your insurance company or the Bayonne Port or Parking Company? :confused:

Actually you can see who paying by reading back in this thread. The dry dock company's insurance company is paying. Those who live close by can get it taken care of without any out of pocket or involvement from their insurance.

Some who did not get a response fast enough filed with their insurance companies, and those will settle with the above insurance company, and ususally this means recovering the deductible too.

As for security, it seems that appropriate security (fencing and patrols) are in place. I will see for myself in a week. You always have a condition of all risks assumed by the customer in parking lots... but no contract can override negligence or clear fault like the paint spray.

Pelican,

We were discussing the cars that had their windows smashed and items stolen from by that guy who told the security guard that he had gone fishing. My question was where was the security during the week and what type of secure parking area is it if a guy can walk in and start smashing windows while people are on a cruise???

My question was posed to those folks who had their windows smashed and cars vandalized and was who is paying for that damage? The car owners? The Port of Bayonne for allowing illegal entry to the facility? The Central Parking System for not providing adequate security to insure the safe storage of the vehicles? My opinion is that the car owners should not have to pay nor should their auto insurance policies!:mad:

Just found out that Professional Overspray is no longer in Bayonne. They only had 50 cars come and "couldn't wait around any longer". Since I couldn't take a day off to go over there, I now have to wait again for Stephanie Hayes to get an adjuster to get in touch with me. The saga continues.

Just found out that Professional Overspray is no longer in Bayonne. They only had 50 cars come and "couldn't wait around any longer". Since I couldn't take a day off to go over there, I now have to wait again for Stephanie Hayes to get an adjuster to get in touch with me. The saga continues.

Hi D! I am still waiting too. I last spoke to the girl at the insurance company when they offered me half of the estimate and I told them no. She said she would take it back to the guy handling the claims and call me back. Four days later I am still waiting.

Check around for a good reconditioner and call him, and let him see the car.

Most times, a light compounding and buffing with a glaze will return the finish to next to new.

A good reconditioner will be able to do this, and you'll get the interior shampooed as a bonus.

Norm

Does anyone have anything new to report about parking at Bayonne lately?

Is this paint thing still going on and getting on the parked cars. Thanks

Looking out the window as I was flying into NYC about a week or so ago, I noticed that the ship that caused all the problems was no longer in drydock.

I have no idea whether a new ship has come into drydock there, but at least passengers boarding the Connie that day had no concerns.

One month later, I'm still waiting for an adjustor to call...

Just brought my car in to my auto body shop (and had to rent a car, but will be reimbursed). They were able to remove all of the overspray on the painted part of the car, but not on the black plastic and rubber, i.e. mouldings. They said these parts would need replacing. For those of you who have had your cars done, how did the rubber and plastic parts turn out. If good, what did they use to remove the paint specks. This is awful! My car is 6 months old, and I really don't want these parts replaced.

My car is being "repaired" as we speak. They're doing wet sanding and compounding. My body shop was able to do the work for about the amount the insurance company is sending me, without my telling them how much I'm getting.

I got a higher quote from another body shop, but didn't want to be bothered with having the adjuster re-evaluate the job. I'm not signing the release, though, until I make sure that I'm happy with the job. I'll be picking up the car later today. Stay tuned!

Just brought my car in to my auto body shop (and had to rent a car, but will be reimbursed). They were able to remove all of the overspray on the painted part of the car, but not on the black plastic and rubber, i.e. mouldings. They said these parts would need replacing. For those of you who have had your cars done, how did the rubber and plastic parts turn out. If good, what did they use to remove the paint specks. This is awful! My car is 6 months old, and I really don't want these parts replaced.

Who is reimbursing you for the rental? I was told no rentals by Crawford. Also, I was told the same thing about the non-painted parts on my car from the body shop, but Crawford is saying that they will not pay for replacement parts. When they offered me about half of what my estimate was, and I said no, then they said they would look at it again and I have not heard back from them since and that was last Tuesday 9/27.

The adjuster representing Crawford or Fireman's told me the company will pay for my car rental for up to $50 a day. I was albe to rent a Camry for $37.95 plus tax. Three days $129. I charged the amount, and they will reimburse me. Pam Rent A Car gave me that rate when I gave them a copy of my repair estimate with the insurance company's name on the estimate. (Fireman's)

Picked up my car today with only the painted shell cleaned. They missed cleaning all the edges and corners. The specks of overspray did not come off of the rubber and plastic parts. So, the adjuster came back again today and the auto body owner and adjuster are deciding if the parts should be replaced. Whatever is decided, I have to bring my car back again on Monday to have it fixed and rent a car again. The saga goes on!

Has anybody driven in the rain with their painted windshield? Saturday night was an experience I hope never to relive - my entire windshield is blurry from the overspray and I had to drive 120 miles roundtrip in the dark and pouring rain! WHen I called Anthony Pellegrino (Crawford adjuster) this morning and told him my van was not drivable at all, he immediately authorized a direct bill rental for up to $50/day. I'm driving a brand new GMC Envoy - no questions asked. HOWEVER... he also faxed me the release to sign so that Fireman's can cut the check and work can commence. It was for $500. I have two estimates -the written one is for $1650 and the oral one is for a minimum of $2500. Needless to say I'm not signing anything. IN ADDITION, has anybody had problems with their air conditioner smelling? I think the paint got into the vents and my car smells putrid when I put on the air.

Archived