Panama train trip

grandpops

Hi Everyone

we are on the Regatta Mayans and Islands cruise out of Miami on 28th March.I am starting to research the shore excursions and I'm particularly interested in the train trip from Colon to Panama. The cost of this trip for 2 people is £362 or circa $500.It seems that if you just turn up at the station and buy a one way ticket for 2 people the cost is $50.This is 10 times less than the cost that Oceania are charging.Clearly this is not an absolute comparison as we have to return from Panama and there are the convenience and safety issues to be considered.However,I can't help feeling that the Oceania cost is out of all proportion or am I missing a trick somewhere?

This is our first cruise with O and would appreciate any opinions on the value or otherwise of O's excursion costs.

We look forward to meeting the many veteran Oceania cruisers.

Kindest Regards

Grandpops

Hi Everyone

we are on the Regatta Mayans and Islands cruise out of Miami on 28th March.I am starting to research the shore excursions and I'm particularly interested in the train trip from Colon to Panama. The cost of this trip for 2 people is £362 or circa $500.It seems that if you just turn up at the station and buy a one way ticket for 2 people the cost is $50.This is 10 times less than the cost that Oceania are charging.Clearly this is not an absolute comparison as we have to return from Panama and there are the convenience and safety issues to be considered.However,I can't help feeling that the Oceania cost is out of all proportion or am I missing a trick somewhere?

This is our first cruise with O and would appreciate any opinions on the value or otherwise of O's excursion costs.

We look forward to meeting the many veteran Oceania cruisers.

Kindest Regards

Grandpops

I can truly see your concern. I never book a tour with O, however on this one occasion I did as my Mom was with us and I did not feel comfortable with transport back to ship. This was a few years ago when the cost was $175 per person (X3). I will say that I enjoyed it as we had crossed the canal via ship just the year before and I really wanted to see it from the land. However, the ride back was very boring (a few hours) but I am glad we did it as there are numerous horror stories of traffic jams etc. Yes you can book the train yourselves, but I felt way more comfortable with the ship tour (and believe me I do not do O's tours usually) and would advise that you do book this. Have a pleasant trip

We are on the same cruise and have arranged to take the partial canal transit by boat to the Pacific - Panama City with a return by motorcoach for $180 pp. ($210 through Oceania) website:http://www.bscpma.com/mfm/shorex.htm . The site has other excursions but doesn't appear to have the train excursion.

This will be our second cruise w/ Oceania (Tahiti / South Pacific last year - wow!) and did not take any of the Oceania excursions as they were incredibly over priced!. I used local tours. Try the tripadvisor website as they may have info on a private tour company offering the train for a more reasonable price.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
The Man in Seat 61 is our website of choice for info on train travel anywhere in the world. Go to:

http://www.seat61.com/SouthAmerica.htm#Panama

Great advice! I have used this site often, most recently for train travel on three different rail lines in Italy, France and The Netherlands. It gave me concise and accurate information on the best times to book seats in advance for the best prices as well as actual railcar maps so I could book forward-facing seats only.

Edited by CintiPam