Emptying Picture Cards

traci28

Ok - I know that this has been posted over and over, but I have not seen an answer to this question. Do the computers in the internet cafe offer data ports? I have an external memory card reader that can be plugged in and I wonder if it would be worth just bringing this or the whole laptop. My husband just found out he cannot attend and now I'm not sure how much stuff I want to lug by myself along with the four kids ~!

No, the internet cafe computers have no access for downloading anything. They have a monitor and keyboard only and you are not allowed any access to the actual modems. Best to either take your own laptop or purhcase an extra memory card for your camera.

That leads to this question then...... I am not a picture "freak" persay - but I do like to take pictures. I have a 128MB card, along w/ my daughter's 64MB and 32MB cards....at my highest resolution I can get about 100 pics or so(on the 128)...maybe a little more. Do you think I have enough memory? I'm also going to bring a disposable underwater camera for my snorkeling........

Traci, it really depends on how many pictures you think you will take. It sounds like you have enough memory for a little less than 200 pictures. That will be plenty for some people, but for others (me) it wouldn't last me past the first port of call. (Here I should make an admission: I took over 3000 photos on my 12-day Venice to Rome Mediterranean cruise last year.) :o

Personally, I think I would invest in a high-capacity memory card (512 MB or higher), they are reasonably priced and they are a whole lot easier to carry than a laptop. It sounds like a 512 MB card plus the 128 MB card that you already have would get you through the cruise with room to spare. But if you started to run low on capacity in the middle of the cruise you can alway do as bjboothman suggested and get the photo shop on the ship to download your pictures from the flash card and burn them to CDs. (Here I should make another admission: I always lug my laptop along on the cruise even though I have about 2.5 GB in memory cards that I take with me) :rolleyes:

That leads to this question then...... I am not a picture "freak" persay - but I do like to take pictures. I have a 128MB card, along w/ my daughter's 64MB and 32MB cards....at my highest resolution I can get about 100 pics or so(on the 128)...maybe a little more. Do you think I have enough memory? I'm also going to bring a disposable underwater camera for my snorkeling........
Good thing to use multiple cards. I took 292 pictures/AVI mini-movies on a 12 day south pacific trip and 358 pictures on the 12 day Alaska cruise/tour. For the south pacific I used every bit of the 256MB and 36MB cards I had - and that wasn't shooting at the maximum resolution of my 4MB camera. For Alaska I had bought a 512MB card from Dell that let me shoot more pictures at max resolution.

If you fill the 128MB card they may need to keep it in the photo shop onboard until the next business day at sea to make the CD. You will have to use the other cards, so it is good that you have them. Also make sure you have an extra battery pack as the charge may only last for 35-40 pictures (refer to your camera manual). The battery at a local store cost more than the memory.:eek:

I didn't take nearly as many photos as I thought I would on our one week cruise, less than 150.

Compare that to a 2 week trip to Europe where I took over 600.

It really depends on how interested you think you will be in taking photos while in port. On the ship, you won't take more than 30 or so I'd think.

Depends on how many fantastic sunsets you see.....i took about 10 of each one to choose the best. I do have a 2 gig card tho.

If you are going on Caribbean Princess their facility to copy from card to CD was down as at Aug. 22

You might also consider reviewing your pictures during the cruise and deleting those that didn't come out well or are duplicates. That'll give you more room on the card for more pictures.

Be sure to bring batteries or your battery charger. I thought I had enough battery power with two charged batteries for my 21-day cruise but I went through both of them by the middle of the cruise and we still had most of the ports remaining.

Ok - I know that this has been posted over and over, but I have not seen an answer to this question. Do the computers in the internet cafe offer data ports? I have an external memory card reader that can be plugged in and I wonder if it would be worth just bringing this or the whole laptop. My husband just found out he cannot attend and now I'm not sure how much stuff I want to lug by myself along with the four kids ~!

:cool: I figured it out , Type in Wolverine FlashPac in your search engine, It will take you to there web site, you can buy a portable data storage unit for up to 100 GB for $339.00 , We are going to order one tommorow and leave the lap top home,,, Heck if we take more than 100 GB 's of pics we must not have any time to eat!!!! Getting ready! Sept. 18th on Sapphire to Alaska!!!

Archived