To mothers with small children!!!!

bigmama9224

Not a med or need thing, But at that age it may be fun to get each child there own cheapo digital camera to take pics on the trip, you can get a name brand one for like $75 or I know Walmart sells a cheap off brand waterproof one for like $35.

Also for the 4 year old make sure they are ok taking showers, My 3.5 year old DD is not big on showers.

I travel with prescription Zofran. After one bad overnight in a hotel room with a kid with the dry heaves, and not much to do about it, I won't leave home without it. I have also used it to help get motion sickness under control once it starts.

• 3 weeks later...
To all mothers with small children. I am taking both my grandkids with me on this cruise. Yea I kind of forgot, what should I consider essential not

to leave home for these kids they are 9 & 4. I mean medicine wise..

I know I should definitely bring sunscreen, aloe and bandaids, but what else.

Thanks in advance....

My twins have been cruising since they were 2 (they're 7 now) and have been on 7 cruises. I think of myself as a very prepared cruiser....packing over the counter meds for any thinkable scenario. With that said, the one item I never thought to pack was Pedia-Lax. My daughter had never needed it before, but I guess while eating so many differnt items, she was in need. They did have Milk of Magnesia onboard which helped, but Pedia-Lax would have made a world of difference. Needless to say... I've added it to my meds bag for cruises now.

Everyone seems to have covered the medicine/legal issues but we witnessed a scene on our last cruise that could easily have been prevented. As experienced cruisers, we take the lifeboat drill for granted. We saw two young children who had a major meltdown on the stairs heading towards their muster stations. Neither child had been prepared for what to expect and both were screaming about the ship sinking. I am assuming they had seen a movie where a ship was sinking and everyone had their life jackets. Not only did this create a major traffic jam in the middle of the stairs but I felt terrible for these children as you could see the fear in their faces. Please if traveling with children, explain this "practice drill".

I would let her mom decide, but this is what we brought per our ped. All of the things listed were ok for children 2+. Children's Motrin, children's Tylenol, children's Dramamine, children's Benadryl and/or other allergy med they may take. My kids were 2 and 4 their 1st cruise. I believe if you bring it you won't need it. I like a sleeve of dose cups so you can throw them away rather than trying to wash and clean them. Band aides, baby ayre or similar nasal spray.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to be more than prepared:

THERMOMETER (we use infrared)

Children's ibuprofen

child tylenol

child pepto

benadryl

cough meds

pink eye drops

ear ache drops

previous scrip my son had for zofran (never know!)

sunscreen

bug spray

sun burn ointment/aloe (usually only needed for us careless adults)

Plus all of our adult random meds (anti-gas meds, anti nausea, anti diarhhea, etc etc,)

Pedialyte powder packs. Children's Imodium AD. And full pack of band aids with anti bacterial spray or ointment. My 2 and 5 year old can go thru a box of band aids in a week, either from not sticking or just because a band aide makes any bump feel better. And a gel cold pack, one that can go in the refrigerator instead of freezer, since you won't have a freezer. And asking for ice from the room steward isn't always that fast., so those are handy. Definitely ask their Mom to pack zip lock bag of Meds that are good for the kids. I know my Mom wouldn't think of everything my kids would need. Oh, don't forget their vitamins, we always seem to forget those. Anything else that you wouldn't want run down to the Medical office every ten minutes for? Everyone on the family board are always extremely helpful and supportive. Love this board!

Everyone seems to have covered the medicine/legal issues but we witnessed a scene on our last cruise that could easily have been prevented. As experienced cruisers, we take the lifeboat drill for granted. We saw two young children who had a major meltdown on the stairs heading towards their muster stations. Neither child had been prepared for what to expect and both were screaming about the ship sinking. I am assuming they had seen a movie where a ship was sinking and everyone had their life jackets. Not only did this create a major traffic jam in the middle of the stairs but I felt terrible for these children as you could see the fear in their faces. Please if traveling with children, explain this "practice drill".

This is something that never would've crossed my mind. Thank you!

All good advice - taking a 3 & 4yo on their first cruise next week.

This has been very helpful; however, any advice for our 15 mos old? Both my DH and I will be with him and we have a passport for DS. Right now I have:

first aid kit

vitamins

infant tylenol

infant advil

glycerin infant - for constipation

Is there any seasickness medicine for an infant/toddler under 2?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Tapi of course I will accept advice from dads. Thanks everyone I totally forgot about Benadryl. Will I be able to give children this young

seasick meds. If so do I get them from doctor or can I buy at pharmacy.

We crush up regular motion sickness meds for my 9 year old, and have for the last two years. Then mix it in pudding or ice cream. They also make chewable children's motion sickness meds that you can buy at any pharmacy. And peppermint oil and ginger oil are both great for motion sickness. Just apply a drop or two to the bottom of their feet when they first start to feel sick.

This has been very helpful; however, any advice for our 15 mos old? Both my DH and I will be with him and we have a passport for DS. Right now I have:

first aid kit

vitamins

infant tylenol

infant advil

Check with a local homeopathic or health food type place for essential oils. Peppermint oil and ginger oil are both great for motion sickness and you just apply a small drop to the bottom of the feet, or drip onto a tissue for inhaling.

first aid kit

vitamins

infant tylenol

infant advil

I don't know about motion sickness medication, but I did ask our pediatrician what to take "just in case" before we cruised with our 10 month old in January. In addition to the things you mentioned she recommended a thermometer and pedialyte (we took the powdered kind).

Also unrelated to medical things, we were really glad to have disposable bibs. Take any special mealtime things you may need too -- toddler sized spoon, sippy/straw cup, etc. along with a small container of dish soap to wash them in your room. DS was mostly breast fed but had a few bottles when one of the grandparents was watching him so we also took a bottle brush and travel drying rack (although you can just use a clean towel for this).

Edit: Just noticed you'd already sailed, but I'll leave my reply in case it helps anyone else in the future.

Edited by gymbomb