To mothers with small children!!!!

bigmama9224

To all mothers with small children. I am taking both my grandkids with me on this cruise. Yea I kind of forgot, what should I consider essential not

to leave home for these kids they are 9 & 4. I mean medicine wise..

I know I should definitely bring sunscreen, aloe and bandaids, but what else.

Thanks in advance....

To all mothers with small children. I am taking both my grandkids with me on this cruise. Yea I kind of forgot, what should I consider essential not

to leave home for these kids they are 9 & 4. I mean medicine wise..

I know I should definitely bring sunscreen, aloe and bandaids, but what else.

Thanks in advance....

children's chewable tylenol, seasick meds, benadryl :-)

To all mothers with small children...

Will you accept advice from dads with small children? :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Copy of their insurance card along with a notorized letter from both parents naming you to take them out of the country and make medical decisions.

We always go to the DMV and get a state I'd for each kid. It is about $10 each, but it is a govt picture id and gets them in the system if there was ever an issue.

Edited by nydney1
Spelling

Hey Tapi of course I will accept advice from dads. Thanks everyone I totally forgot about Benadryl. Will I be able to give children this young

seasick meds. If so do I get them from doctor or can I buy at pharmacy.

They used to make a children's Bonine. But ask dr what he/she recommends.

I have ziploc bags full of stuff. My kids rarely get sick but I like to have it in my cabin.

As others have posted, insurance card, benedryl, tylenol, ibuprofen, sea sickness meds, diarrhea meds, cold/sinus/cough stuff.

Do the kids tend to get carsick? If Yes, then they may well get seasick so discussing with the doc ahead of time as to what you can give them will make for a much more pleasant cruise! You really want to prevent the seasickness. It is much harder to feel better after becoming nauseous than to prevent it in the first place.

Hey Tapi of course I will accept advice from dads. Thanks everyone I totally forgot about Benadryl. Will I be able to give children this young

We bought children's chewable Dramamine from the grocery store. They can be broken in half to make the recommended dose for smaller children.

Find out what they are used to taking as pain and fever-reducing medicine. Some kids prefer chewable while others are used to liquid. There's also a difference between Motrin versus Tylenol, and there are different flavors. Best to stick with what they are used to. Same with medicines for colds or stomachaches.

I always bring a thermometer for taking temps, Neosporin, and more band aids than you think you'll need.

As a mother I'd advise you to speak with their mother about giving her kids medications. Perhaps she should be in charge of the packing?

I personally would be very upset with someone giving my 4-year-old Benedryl, Ibuprofin, Pepto or sea sick meds as have been suggested in this thread. Some of those medications are not even recommended for kids under 5.

Edited by Lerin

As a mother I'd advise you to speak with their mother about giving her kids medications. Perhaps she should be in charge of the packing?

I personally would be very upset with someone giving my 4-year-old Benedryl, Ibuprofin, Pepto or sea sick meds as have been suggested in this thread. Some of those medications are not even recommended for kids under 5.

I agree with asking the mother but I would probably be more upset with someone who wouldn't treat my child if they needed treatment. My guess is, if the mother is allowing her young child to cruise without her she probably trusts the cruise guardian to make medical decisions for her child.

I would pack Afterbite too, depending on the port. It can be really useful :-)

Raspberry flavored chewable Bonine... at Walmart ;)

That's a good point. It's best to find out what they usually take for various common ailments and check with the parents about seasick meds, some of which are recommended for four-year-olds in the proper dose. That doesn't mean you aren't comfortable treating them as needed.

my kids are 7 and 8. My son has peanut allergies. I have inhalers for both kids (neither has asthma but inhalers tend to often get prescribed when the kids get a bad cough).

• inhalers (orange and blue) + aerochamber
  • epipen
  • chewable gravol (for seasickness)
  • motion ease (for seasickness)
  • children's Tylenol
  • polysporin + a few bandaids
  • a multi-sypmpton cold medicine like children's dimetap cold & flu
  • allergy medicines + nasonex - also helps with some cold symptoms
  • daily vitamins
  • sore throat lozenges

You got a lot of recommendations for bug spray - in all our cruises we've never packed nor needed bug spray.

DD is 4 and we have a medicine bag for her when we cruise....

-children's Dramamine (have yet to find children's Bonine)

- children's Tylenol

- powdered pedialite

- children's pepto

- children's Claritin

- saline nose spray

- children's Benadryl (don't usually give, but pedi said is ok if we ever faced a strong allergic reaction)

- neosporin

- band aids

I think I used a bandaid & neosporin once (she didn't really even need it) & 1/2 Dramamine 1 night when it was really rocking.

DD is 4 and we have a medicine bag for her when we cruise....

-children's Dramamine (have yet to find children's Bonine)

- children's Tylenol

- powdered pedialite

- children's pepto

- children's Claritin

- saline nose spray

- children's Benadryl (don't usually give, but pedi said is ok if we ever faced a strong allergic reaction)

- neosporin

- band aids

I think I used a bandaid & neosporin once (she didn't really even need it) & 1/2 Dramamine 1 night when it was really rocking.

You might want to check on polysporin vs neosporin. JMHO ;)

This popped into my head immediately. Besides getting the notarized letter signed by both parents (just having mom or dad might mean the kids won't be allowed on board) as well as the consent to treat, have one of the parents put the various medicines they take into a large ziplock bag (some may be in liquid form). The reason: some kids don't care for certain flavors. Especially helpful will be if mom can put a label with kid's name on a bottle if that's for just one of the kids, with the usual dosage the kid gets.

I would also ask the parent to note down the weight of each kid on the medical consent.

Yes, the infirmary will have various medicines, even for kids, but not a great variety. We found out the hard way when our girl was having a hay fever attack after a port. Not the right meds on board. Definitely don't rely on the ship's store having everything you might need, either (and it won't be open at 2am when you suddenly need some kid's Tylenol).

Finally ask mom or dad to call the kids' pediatrician for motion sickness remedy recommendations. There could be something in one of their medical history that contraindicate certain OTCs.