"Must-Do" Activities in Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk

tracy2363

My husband and I are sailing the 8 day southern Caribbean itinerary on the Sunshine in February. We are game for just about anything and would love feedback on what you think are the best excursions/things to do in Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk. We like to go to the beach, explore islands, snorkel, etc. We have cruised many times before and are comfortable "doing our own thing" once we are off the ship. So far, the only thing we have set in stone is an ATV tour on Grand Turk. Any information would be welcome! Thank you.

In Aruba we just bought the 4.00 pp bus pass and did our own tour...and visited the vendors and shops...

In Curacao you have to go over to the other side of the island to see the BOKA's ...they are breathtaking but see if you can find a private tour...here's why...we did Carnival's because it was a tour to the other side of the island..they sent us a teeny cramped bus and it sucked. We visited the slave mansion which was cool but I'd have skipped all that and saved myself a TON of time and being cramped like a sardine and just headed straight to the boka's.

Grand Turk we just did an island tour with a local company...do go see the lighthouse and pay the 5 bucks for the entrance fee....hubby didn't do this ...I did just to take photos off the cliff behind the lighthouse. It was beautiful!

We are doing this itinerary in May so am interested in the comments.

But for Aruba, we are doing the BananaBus which does an island tour and snorkel. In Curacao we are doing a snorkel with scubacao. Will most likely book a snorkel in GT also.

My husband and I are sailing the 8 day southern Caribbean itinerary on the Sunshine in February. We are game for just about anything and would love feedback on what you think are the best excursions/things to do in Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk. We like to go to the beach, explore islands, snorkel, etc. We have cruised many times before and are comfortable "doing our own thing" once we are off the ship. So far, the only thing we have set in stone is an ATV tour on Grand Turk. Any information would be welcome! Thank you.

You can also rent a car in Aruba and Curacao and go where ever you want that is what we did. No waiting for those packed tour busses. Are you not stopping in the Domican also I would suggust Dreams resort there it was great did not snorkle there though.

Last cruise we tried Trikes Aruba. One of the best excursions we have done in 28 cruises. We also did SUP Curacao. (Stand up paddleboarding). We booked both of these excursions on our own and was very impressed with the professionalism and wonderful communication with both of them.

Grank Turk has some of the best snorkelling in the Carribean, I would do that for sure! If you want a private snorkelling trip, there are a couple of great dive companys.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

yes, please post the companies that would do private snorkels

You can also rent a car in Aruba and Curacao and go where ever you want that is what we did. No waiting for those packed tour busses. Are you not stopping in the Domican also I would suggust Dreams resort there it was great did not snorkle there though.

Did you also rent a car in the Dominican. I have been searching for someone to rent a vehicle near the port and have had no luck. I have rented from the airport location before but not from the port.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Serene, are you saying the Black Pearl visits 3 snorkel spots? If so, what are they?

Black pearl has seating for only 20 people. They supply all gear for snorkling.

They take a video each day and post it on YouTube. They feed you watermelon and grilled cheese

have some kind of fancy rum punch along with various sodas.

I'm not sure where they stop but the three times we used the tour it was amazing.

Google their web page and check out the videos

They take a video each day and post it on YouTube. They feed you watermelon and grilled cheese

I'm not sure where they stop but the three times we used the tour it was amazing.

Thanks... will do. appreciate the info.

In Aruba we really enjoyed the off road tour that went all the way to the north? shore...where the little natural bridge is; its undeveloped up there and very striking. It also stopped a the various other highlights of the island and was a great way to get a feel for the place. We were back by early afternoon, and had time to toss the kids on the ship :D and explore the town/shopping area. Had some great food and great drinks (POWERFUL) - something Lizard?

If you could combine that and the snorkel you would really have a terrific day!

In Curacoa I enjoyed walking around the downtown area and taking in the sites, followed by a cold Amstel :D in one of the sidewalk cafes near the floating bridge. There's an old synagogue, founded by Sephardic Jews, that has a sand floor and is open to the public to tour. The trolley tour is also interesting, as are the Hato Caves out near the airport.

I've been to Aruba 3 or 4 times and don't quite get it, but I've done some island tours there and walked around the downtown area. I'm not a beach person near do I dive or snorkel, so maybe that's why I think there's not a whole lot there.

Roz

Aruba Trikes is a blast! Best excursion I've ever done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Do you think the trikes would be comfortable for a 6'5" driver and a 6'3" rider? I just looked it up and it looks like a lot of fun!

Hello - regarding car rentals in Aruba...is the airport close to the port? Or are there pick up locations near the port?

We chose the "smallest" trike since our driver was 5'5" and we had to use the one with a back cushion sewn in to move the driver forward to be sure to reach the pedals. Look at some of the pictures in their gallery. Some people look like they have to stretch to reach the pedals. When I just looked, I looked at January2014. The people on the top row far right look pretty tall to me. It was great fun and something we never saw offered.

P.S. They post all pictures on Facebook and don't try to sell you anything!!

Edited by weloverunning

Hello - regarding car rentals in Aruba...is the airport close to the port? Or are there pick up locations near the port?

renting a car at the airport is VERY expensive. Get yourself to the closest Hotel. (renaissance) and rent from there

Aruba is easy to get around. But there street signs are not the same as ours.. and many round abouts instead of 4 ways

Edited by serene56

http://www.aruba-sailing.com/

booking online saves you $20.00pp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLsHD6odxyM