Disney dream 12514 or 12000?

Cashe

I had 12514 (starboard, firework view, cc view, directly across from lounge) but I just switched to 12000 as it just popped up for my dates. Was that a good trade out? I can't decide if the balcony and view is gonna be worth it?? Thoughts??

I had 12514 (starboard, firework view, cc view, directly across from lounge) but I just switched to 12000 as it just popped up for my dates. Was that a good trade out? I can't decide if the balcony and view is gonna be worth it?? Thoughts??

We had 12000 on the Fantasy back in late August. We too switched from a side room. Hard to say if it is a good trade. The front deck is huge but you really don't use or have a need for all the space. The folks in the suites to the side tended to sit up on their whirlpool side and when they did they had a pretty good view of you on your balcony plus you'd get their noise.

The folks on the public deck above you can see roughly 1/2 of your deck anyways so it really isn't all that private. You have two doors to go through - the first gets you into a little foyer used to connect the side suites to that room if needed and then you have another door a couple feet inside that other door. We put our luggage in there and that worked well.

If you have switched, I wouldn't switch back though.

Thank you! How far is the lounge or are the elevators from the room? Is it a really long walk?

It was only a long walk when I had to juggle my drink and the fantastic margarita Fernando made for DW when I had to open the two doors into our room.

No, it isn't that far. There are doors to get in on both sides plus the larger door to the aft. The lounge door was heavier as well, so getting that open with two drinks without spilling was a bit challenging (for me).

It is only about 5 rooms back to go to the lounge from the front and then about 8 more back to the stairs or elevators. We used the stairs a lot. IMO it isn't a long walk, the area isn't really that big unless you have mobility issues. The elevators are a few steps back from the aft entrance to the lounge.

• 1 year later...

I upgraded to this cabin (12000) in January on the Fantasy. It was great. We had a car seat and a stroller- so we kept that in the entry way area. I walked through a one-bedroom on the side of the ship and it looked like the living room was bigger in cabin 12000. The balcony view wasn't my favorite. You couldn't stand at the rail and look out at the ocean. There was an angle for wind deflection probably and the front of the ship with the teens club was below. I didn't love this. But I LOOOVED the big balcony. I wrote a blog with pictures of this cabin. My user name .com is how you can find it.

I upgraded to this cabin (12000) in January on the Fantasy. It was great. We had a car seat and a stroller- so we kept that in the entry way area. I walked through a one-bedroom on the side of the ship and it looked like the living room was bigger in cabin 12000. The balcony view wasn't my favorite. You couldn't stand at the rail and look out at the ocean. There was an angle for wind deflection probably and the front of the ship with the teens club was below. I didn't love this. But I LOOOVED the big balcony. I wrote a blog with pictures of this cabin. My user name .com is how you can find it.

Yes the angled glass is there to provide not only fall protection, but also wind protection.

The ship can move at around 25 MPH! so that would be uncomfortable to those sunbathing whilst underway.

ex techie

Just some observations and facts regarding 12000;

DCL Dream and Fantasy Cat T cabin 12000 is wider than the other cat T's on the side of the vessel. It shows internally. It shows differently obviously on the balcony. Which is 3 feet wider, and at least 4 X deeper.

It is directly forward facing and centered on the vessel, has a larger balcony than any other cat T. The balcony is "1/3" visible from above. IOW the public deck can look down on 1/4 of your balcony. The balcony is 5-7 times the size of a cat T on deck 12 non bumpout unit.

There are 6 other cat T balconies located on what is called the Bumpout.

4 on deck 12. 2 on deck 11port side. These are larger than the ordinary ones, but not larger than the one at 12000, dead straight on forward.

As mentioned it does have a small private enclosed foyer/vestibule as you enter the cabin from the hallway.

Great for strollers and luggage. The doorway is a standard with small door width. Not HA width.

No so great compared to other cat T's with only one door in some pax opinion.

It is decorated like the two adjoining Cat R's next door. Unlike the other cat T's. However the decor is shared with the two cat V's adjoining the cat R's. Those cat V's are on the side of the ship, unlike this cat T which is centered between the two cat R's, dead center forward.

One thought/issue. You are centered between the two cat R's. which have hot tubs. Those tubs are on each side of your balcony partition. Those tubs are in a platform. When those pax stand on those platforms they basically can look at you on your balcony.

Plus using hot tubs is generally noisy. Ie; your are going to get noisy tub sounds at "very" random times.

Your veranda glass is high and slanted of course for the wind. You will not be tall enough to look over the glass.

Thoughts for now.

HTH

Edited by bear3412

Cat T cabin 1200;

Ok maybe the cabin isn't three feet wider, but it is wider. Trust me. I've been in it while staying in a regular T .

It felt wider. Look at the deck plans.

Video w/o deck, "frown"

I know there is pics or video of the balcony somewhere because ...,,

Edited by bear3412

Thanks for all the replies--it's almost emabarrassing how much I am looking forward to this trip! Pixiedust, appreciate your discussion about upgrade cost/availability at port. I have had my eye on 12000 since our first and only cruise a few years ago but was afraid it would be gone if I waited to try and upgrade at port. Glad to hear you loved it.

Any idea if the fireworks can be viewed from the balcony?

Thanks for all the replies--it's almost emabarrassing how much I am looking forward to this trip! Pixiedust, appreciate your discussion about upgrade cost/availability at port. I have had my eye on 12000 since our first and only cruise a few years ago but was afraid it would be gone if I waited to try and upgrade at port. Glad to hear you loved it.

Any idea if the fireworks can be viewed from the balcony?

I don't know if you could. We went up one deck and watched from the adult area there. I don't think you'd be able to see them from there. But I don't know know for sure. The fireworks were off the starboard side. And a were a little further midship in my opinion. I think you'd see them for sure in the large suite on the right of this cabin just not sure if you'd see it from 12000. Enjoy. I think you'll love it!!!

Wondering what you thought of the room? Did you enjoy it? We're in that room in a few weeks and very excited.

We did really like the room. I like the forward facing rooms so that is part of it. As said, the neighbors may sit on the edge of their hot tub and look into your balcony area. The ones on the left side had some younger kids who would do that. As far as noise from the tubs, that wasn't a problem.

As Bear was explaining, the forward 3 rooms and then each one just aft have some different decorations. The carpet is one - the general color scheme looks the same as the other rooms on 12 but it is much thicker. The steward explained about where they had it made and how much he thought it cost to make ($$$$$).

We could see the fireworks for the most part by standing at the very front of the balcony. There is also some blue "mood" lighting that runs along the railing as I recall. There is a switch for that.

Thanks!! Would be great if we could all watch together rather than some going up on deck while "someone" (i.e. me) stays behind in the cabin while the youngest sleeps. And, thanks to all for the detail about the adjoining cabins and visibility from other areas. I think for us the room sounds like it's worth any tradeoffs.