Got away on the GETAWAY!

eroller

Thank you for a great review. do you recommend the getaway for a young family? kids will be 5/6 when we cruise next yr. we've only cruised disney so far and we loved it. we are torn between the 5 night wonder or the 7 night getaway. is the service/ cleanliness/night time entertainment comparable to disney?

I've sailed on Disney a few times and absolutely love it, and I don't even have kids! Honestly it's hard to top DCL as they are top notch, but keep in mind they are substantially more expensive than GETAWAY.

While I don't have kids, GETAWAY seems like a great ships for kids. There is the partnership with Nickelodeon so there are characters like SpongeBob around and the theming at the kid's splash area is terrific. I'm a big fan of SpongeBob so I really loved seeing him and his pals every time I walked past the splash pool. Mind you it's not Mickey but then again who is?? Service on my cruise was great as was cleanliness. Was it as good as DCL? Well not quite but again I feel DCL is in a league of its own. The same goes for entertainment. The production shows on DCL are second to none and are some of my favorites I've ever seen at sea.

So the short answer is that GETAWAY is probably not as good as Disney, at least in my view, but very little is. GETAWAY is a fantastic ship that I think adults and kids will love. It's clean, new, and has a great assortment of fantastic restaurants and really good entertainment. Best of all there is a lot of value because the price is right!

Good luck with your choice.

Agree, agree, agree"!

We were nervous booking our first Getaway trip as Epic was such a downer. I felt like we were in a floating apartment building in Greenwich Village.

Getaway has now ruined us for other ships and lines.

I hear that Sean is leaving for the Escape.

Wish Getaway would do southern route...or Greek isles! Something about this ship was lacking on Breakaway ..

LOVE your review ...like reliving vacation

RR

Hey RR glad you loved the review. I appreciate that!

It's been confirmed that Sean will be on the ESCAPE so that is a great thing. His style of management and guest interaction is exceptional and will only make ESCAPE a better ship!!

I sure hope Escape is as good as Getaway.....as I now have 2 cruises booked on Escape.

I must admit the onboard experience with todays NCL as found on Getaway has me returning to NCL....something I never would have thought possible. The promotions are also incredible...in fact I have booked a 10 day Canary Island cruise on Epic in April 2017...and I don't even like Epic.

Have you sailed Carnivals Breeze or Dream and if so how did the experience compare to Getaway?

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom,

I think ESCAPE will be every bit as good as GETAWAY and ever better! Yes there will be more people but also lots of small tweaks with the design that will hopefully only enhance the experience. The hull will also be a bit wider to help accommodate the additional passengers. Plus Sean will be HD along with much of his GETAWAY team so that is a win win.

I'm like you, I never thought I would be singing the praises of NCL! LOL It does show that every now and then you have to return to a cruise line that maybe you have written off as things change, sometimes for the better as is the case with NCL.

I've sailed on CARNIVAL BREEZE. You can find my review and pics if you do a search. Basically a huge disappointment as I think the new VISTA will be as well. A 15+ year old platform that has been tweaked and tweaked to add more and more cabins. On VISTA they are even removing public areas to add even more cabins like they did with SUNSHINE. To me it's just pure greed on the part of Carnival. The service and entertainment on the BREEZE was the worst I've experienced on Carnival. Such a shame as Carnival used to shine in these areas. The new Playlist Productions are no better than a high school performance. I actually felt sorry for the performers. Staff has been cut as Carnival gets more and more greedy. Very few bar waiters to be found at any bar/lounge which meant waiting in lines at the bar every time you wanted a drink. It was insulting because I felt like not only did Carnival want the bar revenue, but they also wanted you to belly up at the bar and wait an excessive amount of time for a drink! This class of ship has low ceilings so I felt public areas felt cramped and passenger flow is not great. A parade of people on the promenade deck going forward to aft (and vice versa) to the point I felt like herded cattle. Public areas were quite warm. I could only surmise that Carnival was cutting back on the a/c to save fuel although I could not confirm that. Yes there is the new Carnival decor (no more Farcus), and at first glance it looks good, but for me at least it wears off quickly and becomes rather generic and boring. Also upon closer look it was rather cheap, with lots of laminates that are already peeling away. Very IKEA-like. Anyway that is probably more than you want to know about BREEZE. There were good things for sure, like the burgers (best at sea I think), but I don't book a cruise for a good burger!