Views on whether you consider this an upgrade

nomad098

I think Nomad may have booked the Havana Cabana Suite which is 260 sq ft, which is still as you said, smaller than an Ocean Suite but comes w/ the 100 sq ft Balcony and the amenities that the Ocean Suite does not entail.

I guess I am confused then. I didn't realize there were 3 categories in the Havana Cabana's (interior, balcony and suite). Also, what special amenities - other than the private use of the Havana pool area during the day - does it come with?

I guess I am confused then. I didn't realize there were 3 categories in the Havana Cabana's (interior, balcony and suite). Also, what special amenities - other than the private use of the Havana pool area during the day - does it come with?

Yes, 3 categories -- though there are only 4 (total) Havana Cabana Suites.

I apologize for not wording it right in my original message. I just meant the amenities that you mentioned above that the Ocean Suite would not come with.

The only "added" amenity that the Havana Cabana Suite would come with is priority boarding, but the Ocean Suite would come with this as well -- although the Havana interior and balcony would not.

Yes, 3 categories -- though there are only 4 (total) Havana Cabana Suites.

I apologize for not wording it right in my original message. I just meant the amenities that you mentioned above that the Ocean Suite would not come with.

The only "added" amenity that the Havana Cabana Suite would come with is priority boarding, but the Ocean Suite would come with this as well -- although the Havana interior and balcony would not.

Oh, sorry! I didn't realize there were three! I guess I should have looked before offering up an opinion. :o

Even if the Ocean Suite didn't come with priority boarding, you can buy FTTF for $50 per cabin.

So really it's just the private pool access that you will be lacking, but really, when you think about it, depending on which sailing you chose, there is only 1 sea day on most and the younger kids will probably prefer the waterpark area anyway.

I can't speak for you, but if it were me I would be really happy with the suite rooms.

Just come off the phone with Carnival and we have come to a compromise we are both satisfied with.

As far as the cabins were concerned it was not so much the size of the rooms we were offered but the functionality of the space and our needs as a family.

The Havana Suite has outdoor seating for 5 and is a more user friendly shape, the ability to separate the suite into 2 areas, 2 tv's, access to the Havana pool area, bar, snacks during the day and from the information on here the Lanai area in-front of the Cabanas would only be for Havana guests. As we would not be getting of the ship much this was important to us

The lady who phoned said that Carnival was having quite an issue with family's with under 12's booking these rooms and it was causing them a lot of problems and loss due to having to upgrade so many people and the problem was ongoing as they are having to run a report everyday until they can upgrade their online systems

The solution I suggested to Carnival was 1 Family Harbour Suite and 1 Family Harbour connecting Balcony. They said these cabins had a minimum occupancy of 4 in each room but they would waiver that as we had been messed around, this is actually cheaper for Carnival than their offer and gives us access to exclusive 24-hour spot with breakfast, snacks during the day, concierge service… plus Hasbro board games, family movies, video games and more. The benefits don’t end there — your kids eat free in most premium onboard restaurants and get a free evening of Night Owls babysitting service. Link below

http://cruisedeckplans.com/Carnival/fleet/vista/Carnival%20Vista.html

The Family harbour suite is the same size as the Ocean suite but with a better layout for us and with the connecting balcony cabin it makes a better family space, not as good as what we had booked but a compromise which suited us better.

Just come off the phone with Carnival and we have come to a compromise we are both satisfied with.

As far as the cabins were concerned it was not so much the size of the rooms we were offered but the functionality of the space and our needs as a family.

The Havana Suite has outdoor seating for 5 and is a more user friendly shape, the ability to separate the suite into 2 areas, 2 tv's, access to the Havana pool area, bar, snacks during the day and from the information on here the Lanai area in-front of the Cabanas would only be for Havana guests. As we would not be getting of the ship much this was important to us

The lady who phoned said that Carnival was having quite an issue with family's with under 12's booking these rooms and it was causing them a lot of problems and loss due to having to upgrade so many people and the problem was ongoing as they are having to run a report everyday until they can upgrade their online systems

The solution I suggested to Carnival was 1 Family Harbour Suite and 1 Family Harbour connecting Balcony. They said these cabins had a minimum occupancy of 4 in each room but they would waiver that as we had been messed around, this is actually cheaper for Carnival than their offer and gives us access to exclusive 24-hour spot with breakfast, snacks during the day, concierge service… plus Hasbro board games, family movies, video games and more. The benefits don’t end there — your kids eat free in most premium onboard restaurants and get a free evening of Night Owls babysitting service. Link below

The Family harbour suite is the same size as the Ocean suite but with a better layout for us and with the connecting balcony cabin it makes a better family space, not as good as what we had booked but a compromise which suited us better.

What did I tell ya... great choice! I think the Family Suites have a better layout than the Ocean Suites IMHO. Glad it worked out. I figured if my kids start telling me what, when, and how I plan a cruise then they don't need to be on one. Enjoy yourself and come back and tell us what you think about the Family Suites. Can't wait to book her for Spring 2017. :)

Glad a solution that worked for your family was offered! Enjoy!

I am glad you reached a compromise and that it meets your needs. The Family Harbor Suites certainly have some great perks with the private lounge. The only negatives for me would be the dining room above me on Deck 3 and possibly noise from the engines since you are on a lower deck. Also , you've got a longer elevator ride to the upper deck. Don't mean to be a "Negative Nancy" but feel these are things to consider when anyone books these rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by HLGW60

I am glad you reached a compromise and that it meets your needs. The Family Harbor Suites certainly have some great perks with the private lounge. The only negatives for me would be the dining room above me on Deck 3 and possibly noise from the engines since you are on a lower deck. Also , you've got a longer elevator ride to the upper deck. Don't mean to be a "Negative Nancy" but feel these are things to consider when anyone books these rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think your being a "Negative Nancy" these are all valid points when deciding on a room and if a newbie or anyone who has not stayed on the lower decks reads this as the saying goes "forewarned is forearmed". I would imagine being with all the families another noise consideration would be the kids

For me and the boys the noise is a non issue as we could sleep through a thunderstorm. For my wife I will see the armoury tech before we leave and get her a supply of earplugs.:D

As far as position on the ship goes I suppose we will have to look at it as exercise for the trip saves going to the gym :eek:

I don't think your being a "Negative Nancy" these are all valid points when deciding on a room and if a newbie or anyone who has not stayed on the lower decks reads this as the saying goes "forewarned is forearmed". I would imagine being with all the families another noise consideration would be the kids

For me and the boys the noise is a non issue as we could sleep through a thunderstorm. For my wife I will see the armoury tech before we leave and get her a supply of earplugs.:D

As far as position on the ship goes I suppose we will have to look at it as exercise for the trip saves going to the gym :eek:

So relieved you didn't take it the wrong way because everyone has their personal preferences and what is best for them. As for me.....I get seasick easily and have to start the Bonine 2 days prior cruising and have to stay in a midship interior cabin. Can't look at the water except in the distant horizon or I will get deathly ill. We stayed in a family suite for our last cruise on the RC Liberty of the Seas. It was one of those promenade interior rooms that had windows that overlooked the stores and restaurants in the middle of the ship. These suites will accommodate 6 people. Loved that ship but they are not near as friendly and have the level of customer service Carnival does IMO. I was so thrilled when I learned I could cruise with Carnival for my next European vacation:)

Glad you got a satisfactory outcome, however this situation should not have occurred. Carnival should have clearly stated their under 12's policy from the start.

I was very keen on one of the cabanas but am unable to book one as I have an 8 year old daughter. Ironically she spends most of her time in the kids club so therefore would hardly ever be in the Havana area during restricted hours to spoil the 'desired atmosphere'.

I then considered the family harbour suites but decided not for the reasons shown on the thread below.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2156812

Anyway I hope you all have a great cruise.

So relieved you didn't take it the wrong way because everyone has their personal preferences and what is best for them. As for me.....I get seasick easily and have to start the Bonine 2 days prior cruising and have to stay in a midship interior cabin. Can't look at the water except in the distant horizon or I will get deathly ill. We stayed in a family suite for our last cruise on the RC Liberty of the Seas. It was one of those promenade interior rooms that had windows that overlooked the stores and restaurants in the middle of the ship. These suites will accommodate 6 people. Loved that ship but they are not near as friendly and have the level of customer service Carnival does IMO. I was so thrilled when I learned I could cruise with Carnival for my next European vacation:)

I have heard of the RC cabins that overlook the area your talking about. How in the world do they sleep 6 people? Are they large cabins?

I have heard of the RC cabins that overlook the area your talking about. How in the world do they sleep 6 people? Are they large cabins?

RC do several grades of cabin on some of their ships for 6 FI, FP, FO and on the Oasis and Allure FB as well layout is similar for all

Family Promenade cabins 300 sq ft

1 twin/ king

1 double sofa

1 bunk beds in a separate curtained off area from the main cabin

Yes...the family promenade family stateroom suite sleeps six. The Category was FP on RC Liberty of the Seas. It was 300 square feet. They are on Decks 7 and 8 Just do a Google search on them.

Edited by HLGW60