Escape BX?

jrbeccles

Ok so I just booked cabin 8710 BX on the Escape for Thanksgiving 2015.

My question is do we believe that since its one of the "famous" deck 8 forward balconies it will have a larger than normal size balcony, or will it be the standard 35sq feet? Impossible to tell from deck plans. Any thoughts?

No big deal really, as the good news is I will not have anyone in front of me or directly above me. Plus once I start working on the Unlimited Drinks Package the balcony could be 10 sq feet and I'll more than likely be happy....

• 2 weeks later...
I am wondering this same thing! I booked a BX guaranty on Friday and was just assigned my stateroom of 8712. On Cruise Deck Plans it says that all balconies 8734 and forward are approx 4 times as big. I am wondering if that will be true on the Escape?

8734 and forward are mini suites with large balconies so I can understand that they have more balcony space. However my BX cabin (8710) and your BX cabin (8712) are balcony rooms, so chances are maybe they have a standard size balcony and don't follow the pattern from the Getaway or Breakaway. We can always hope though - time will tell!

I booked a BX room on escape first week of January next year. So I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually a bit smaller. The marketing says "our most affordable balconies" which the cynic in me reads as "Not as good as other balconies". If you look at the pictures its at the front of the boat where the base of the boat starts to curve upwards, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the balcony cuts over a bit.

So the question is, are the forward "BX" cabins on the Escape (8110, 8112, 8710, 8712) ones that have the oversized balconies as on the Getaway and Breakaway?

I again hope so as I've booked Escape#8710 for Thanksgiving. But to make sure I get some pleasure out of that number, I just booked cabin #8710 on the Getaway for this coming June. I'm on a #8710 kick!

Ok so I just booked cabin 8710 BX on the Escape for Thanksgiving 2015.

My question is do we believe that since its one of the "famous" deck 8 forward balconies it will have a larger than normal size balcony, or will it be the standard 35sq feet? Impossible to tell from deck plans. Any thoughts?

No big deal really, as the good news is I will not have anyone in front of me or directly above me. Plus once I start working on the Unlimited Drinks Package the balcony could be 10 sq feet and I'll more than likely be happy....

I ended up having my BX 8th floor room lost today when the travel agency switched me to a package that included unlimited beverages at no cost. I was a bit upset at this because by everything on the deck plan and related Getaway pictures I would be giving up a large balcony area. She got me on the phone with Norwegian and both insisted that the BX 8th floor balcony rooms will be standard size as all other balconies, but it would have slightly obstructed views more likely. They said that my new room on the 10th floor was actually an upgrade as there were a few problems with the 8th floor bx. For one it's above the theater area where it can be a lot louder. The second downfall and reason those rooms are cheaper is because they are at the front of the curve of the ship. That plus how low on the boat they are means in choppier waters, the waves hits right below there and can be very loud in a unpleasant way (sounds like doors crashing).

I've never cruised before, so I have no idea how true all of that is, but I thought I'd pass it on.

I ended up having my BX 8th floor room lost today when the travel agency switched me to a package that included unlimited beverages at no cost. I was a bit upset at this because by everything on the deck plan and related Getaway pictures I would be giving up a large balcony area. She got me on the phone with Norwegian and both insisted that the BX 8th floor balcony rooms will be standard size as all other balconies, but it would have slightly obstructed views more likely. They said that my new room on the 10th floor was actually an upgrade as there were a few problems with the 8th floor bx. For one it's above the theater area where it can be a lot louder. The second downfall and reason those rooms are cheaper is because they are at the front of the curve of the ship. That plus how low on the boat they are means in choppier waters, the waves hits right below there and can be very loud in a unpleasant way (sounds like doors crashing).

If you are talking about the BX forward cabins on the Escape the jury is still out as to the balcony size. However looking at the Escape pictures I am convinced that these Escape BX 8th floor four forward balconies will be much bigger than standard 35 sq ft balconies, just as they are on the Getaway/Breakaway.

I think that your TA and NCL were being a little misleading. These cabins are well forward of the theatre. If the waves are crashing by the balcony, then that means the ship is in a hurricane. The 8th floor is WAY above the water line. Don't believe it at all. However if you got another balcony cabin and they threw in a drinks package for free I think you did OK!

For our Jan. 2016 sailing, BX has changed description. Used to be "only four rooms like them on ship" and is now "guarantee" decks 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 forward.

By golly you are right! And its the same for any Escape dates now. So they have made BX truly a Guarantee category now, and eliminated the "only four like them" as you said. Oh well good while it lasted. Thanks!

If you are talking about the BX forward cabins on the Escape the jury is still out as to the balcony size. However looking at the Escape pictures I am convinced that these Escape BX 8th floor four forward balconies will be much bigger than standard 35 sq ft balconies, just as they are on the Getaway/Breakaway.

I think that your TA and NCL were being a little misleading. These cabins are well forward of the theatre. If the waves are crashing by the balcony, then that means the ship is in a hurricane. The 8th floor is WAY above the water line. Don't believe it at all. However if you got another balcony cabin and they threw in a drinks package for free I think you did OK!

I agree with you, looking at all the pictures it HAS to be a bigger balcony. When I get on our ship in january it's going to be the first thing I check. I just wanted to throw out what NCL said.

For the waves part it wasn't meant as they would hit the balcony but the angle of the ship means the water chops below and hits at that angle causing the loud noises and more movement. I researched that a bit and saw comments that were fairly split. Some said it was awful and others said they only noticed it once or twice on the ship.

I did point out that the theater was farther back and not directly below and NCL's response was that behind there is crew area's for preparing drinks, cast set up, etc. and that's why it could be louder. Not sure how truthful it all is but that was the response I got.

I'm ok with the 10th floor balcony. My biggest rant with them is that Balconies are by far their most common room, yet they didn't create one balcony handicap accessible room. My daughter is in a wheelchair and I'd love to have a accessible room but the only options are a interior room with no windows or a suite that's outside of my budget. that's crazy to me.

I'm ok with the 10th floor balcony. My biggest rant with them is that Balconies are by far their most common room, yet they didn't create one balcony handicap accessible room. My daughter is in a wheelchair and I'd love to have a accessible room but the only options are a interior room with no windows or a suite that's outside of my budget. that's crazy to me.

I didn't realize it but you are right about lack of handicap balconies. I went through the Escape deck plans floor by floor, and I'm pretty much colorblind so I have a hard time on the deck plans distinguishing what categories the cabins are, but I thought I found 8 handicapped "regular" balconies. I may be wrong but it looks to me that they are 12282,12286,12886,12882,14278,14878,14282, and 14882. As mentioned I am not good with colors and these may be mini suites but I don't think so. Maybe you could have a look and if so get you TA to move you to one of these?

When I get back I'll write about my adventures in 8710 and let you know about the cabin!

I didn't realize it but you are right about lack of handicap balconies. I went through the Escape deck plans floor by floor, and I'm pretty much colorblind so I have a hard time on the deck plans distinguishing what categories the cabins are, but I thought I found 8 handicapped "regular" balconies. I may be wrong but it looks to me that they are 12282,12286,12886,12882,14278,14878,14282, and 14882. As mentioned I am not good with colors and these may be mini suites but I don't think so. Maybe you could have a look and if so get you TA to move you to one of these?

When I get back I'll write about my adventures in 8710 and let you know about the cabin!

Hmmm you may be on to something, I so appreciate you checking! I was told per my travel agent that they didnt have handicap accessible balconies at all (not that they are sold out that they dont exist) and I'd have to upgrade to a suite or downgrade to interior. But if I look up those rooms on the map they are coded as balcony and handicap accessible. I wrote their accessibility email alias so we will see what they say. Thanks!!

Figured out the discrepancy on handicap cabins. They have them as balconies but not for 4 people, 2 people max (odd because the rooms are so much bigger. The only ones they have for 4 people handicap accessible are oceanview no balcony. However those are on the fifth floor and right below the atrium so I think I'll suck up the shower situation and small space rather than listen to people above me for a whole week.

Figured out the discrepancy on handicap cabins. They have them as balconies but not for 4 people, 2 people max (odd because the rooms are so much bigger. The only ones they have for 4 people handicap accessible are oceanview no balcony. However those are on the fifth floor and right below the atrium so I think I'll suck up the shower situation and small space rather than listen to people above me for a whole week.

Understood! Does seem a bit strange, but you'll have fun!!

• 2 years later...