Rum Point vs Turtle Farm/Island Tour

cakolb

I can't decide. Should we do the Rays, Reef & Rum tour or the Rays & Island Tour (includes Turtle Farm and Hell) with Nativeways? I have read great things about Nativeways and I'm sure both tours would be fine. We have 3 children - 18, 16 & 8. This is our 1st time to GC and I wasn't sure if it would be more fun having a water and beach day or seeing some of the town. Any thoughts??

I can't decide. Should we do the Rays, Reef & Rum tour or the Rays & Island Tour (includes Turtle Farm and Hell) with Nativeways? I have read great things about Nativeways and I'm sure both tours would be fine. We have 3 children - 18, 16 & 8. This is our 1st time to GC and I wasn't sure if it would be more fun having a water and beach day or seeing some of the town. Any thoughts??

Tough one, but since this is your first trip to GC, I would suggest the Rays, Reef and Rum Tour, especially with the ages of your kids. This will give you a great overview of the island, get to experience the highlights. Then, when you return on your second trip you'll know where you want to concentrate.

Have a great trip!

Before agonizing over this decision I would suggest emailing Nativeway and asking whether either of these tours will be available when you are coming. We wanted to do the R,R&R tour but found out our boat was arriving too late for that tour. We also found out they weren't offering the Rays & Island tour on the day we are there. I'm not sure what we'll be doing now.:confused:

I'm not trying to be negative about Nativeway here, just suggesting you check out the specifics sooner in the process than we did!

Just back from the Miracle and we chose the Reef, Rays and Rumpoint tour with NativeWays. It was the best excursion we had on our cruise. Some other cruise critic buddies went to Hell on a different excursion and were not as impressed.

The reef is great. We saw lots of fish, interesting corral, two nurse sharks, and two very large barracuda (at least I think they were - - they were green and had big teeth - - my son said they were some type of eel).

Rays - - lots of excursions come to the same location. Squeals of fear and delight fill the air. Hard to describe the sensation, you have to experience it yourself.

Rum point is a very picturesque beach with shady palm trees and some hammocks. The drinks there are pricey but very good.

Is the Reef Rays and Rum tour appropriate for children as young as 2 ands 5?

Thanks, Adelle

My daughter is 6 and enjoyed all three stops. She went snorkeling; played with the stingrays and swam at Rumpoint. Rumpoint would be perfect for your 2 and 5 year olds: the beaches are sandy, the water is shallow and there are no waves. I brought a swim vest for my daughter so that she could snorkel without fear. She had a great time. You might be able to do the same with your 5 year old if she is comfortable in deep water. Native Ways does offer life vests and snorkel floaties (wrap around your waist). The 2 year old will be too small to snorkel or touch stingrays IMO. So someone will have to stay on the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

How much time do you get at Rum Point Beach when you booked the Rays,Reef,Rum tours?

We would like to see the stingrays and still have a lot of beach time.

Is there any other beach that is closer other than 7 mile beach-afraid it will be packed that day with ~10 ships in port.

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point in May w/Nativeways. It was one of the best excursions we have done. You will get about 1 1/2 hrs. at Rum Point. The lunch they serve is absolutely delicious!

We also were just in Grand Cayman this past tuesday on the Empress of the Seas. We rented a car for $70. w/insurance included (the ins. was $15.95, and it also included the $7.50 visitors license fee), and drove over to Rum Point. It took about 50 minutes to drive over. We had a wonderful day. When we got off the ship, we just asked at the information desk at the pier about a car rental, and someone came and picked us up, and took us over, got it from Cayman auto rentals. There were only 2 ships in port this day, so not very busy at all. Rum Point is as close to paradise we have come so far!

Debbie, I was thinking to rent a car to get to Rum Point. But, I am worried about several things: long drive (50 min one way), I was told that the road was closed on the other side of the island due to Hurricane Ivan, how easy to drive and to find the place (not only Rum point, but also the others, Stingray City, downtown, Rum cake factory, shopping, etc.).

Can you tell me how long you spent at Rum Poiint? We have about 7 hours (7-3 ship time). I am wondering if we can go Rum point as well as do something else (Stingray, Rum factory, Turtle Farm, Shopping, etc.). Since we have two young kids (3 and 5) and my mom (71), I guess we'd better doing something else by skipping snorkling. Do you happned to drop other locations above? I am wondering how easy I can find the places and park the car.

Debbie, I was thinking to rent a car to get to Rum Point. But, I am worried about several things: long drive (50 min one way), I was told that the road was closed on the other side of the island due to Hurricane Ivan, how easy to drive and to find the place (not only Rum point, but also the others, Stingray City, downtown, Rum cake factory, shopping, etc.).

Can you tell me how long you spent at Rum Poiint? We have about 7 hours (7-3 ship time). I am wondering if we can go Rum point as well as do something else (Stingray, Rum factory, Turtle Farm, Shopping, etc.). Since we have two young kids (3 and 5) and my mom (71), I guess we'd better doing something else by skipping snorkling. Do you happned to drop other locations above? I am wondering how easy I can find the places and park the car.

I would not recommend renting a car on a port stop. Way too much of your time is eaten up with the pick up and drop off. They also drive on the left if you aren't familiar with that, busy congested traffic in town. Take a tour instead or visit closer. Rum Point is OK but plenty of very nice areas

elsewhere too.

Also consider and be aware, the Turtle Farm is mostly for consumption. It's NOT a little "wildlife park or conservation center". I've seen many people freaked out at the cafe there offering turtle burgers. :)

Budget Queen, thanks for your post. What would you think the best (stops)way to organize our excursion at Grand Cayman?

As I posted in a separate thread, I tried to find a tour including Stingray and island tour (but no snorkling... because of other families), but I couldn't. Only Nativeways do this tour, but they start the tour at 11 am (we have to wait almost 3 hours to do it and we did not have much time left after the tour... it finishes at 2 and our last boarding time is 3:15...(ship time).

Unless we rent a car, even if we gave up Rum Points, it seems to be diffucult to look around the city.

Budget Queen, thanks for your post. What would you think the best (stops)way to organize our excursion at Grand Cayman?

As I posted in a separate thread, I tried to find a tour including Stingray and island tour (but no snorkling... because of other families), but I couldn't. Only Nativeways do this tour, but they start the tour at 11 am (we have to wait almost 3 hours to do it and we did not have much time left after the tour... it finishes at 2 and our last boarding time is 3:15...(ship time).

Unless we rent a car, even if we gave up Rum Points, it seems to be diffucult to look around the city and port.

Sorry, I am going to disagree with Budget Queen. Renting the car on GC was very easy. We rented our jeep through Cico Avis, we walked up to the Blue Iguana gift shop from the pier, maybe a 5 min walk. Cico sent a courtesy van to pick us up, 5 mins later we were at their offices, and 10 mins later we were putting the roof down on the jeep and driving away. Maybe took half an hour from the time we left the ship on the tender to driving the car. I do recommend making a reservation in advance as they will have all the paper work ready.

We were on GC for the same amount of time you were. It is about a 45 min drive to Rum Point, but is very scenic so you are still getting to see some of the island. Take a few mins and read my post "Rum Point don't miss it" and you will get an idea of what it is like. It is a great place to take young children, mine are 5 and 8. The water is very shallow, no waves, great place for them to learn to snorkel. The beach area has chairs (no fee), shaded areas including hammocks (great for mom), an excellent restaurant which is not outrageously priced (including a kids menu), extremely clean bathrooms with changing rooms and showers. We spent about 3 hours on the beach, then drove down to a deserted beach where there were tons of starfish (again, read my thread for instructions), drove back, and had time to do some shopping in GC. Keep in mind there are tons of shops right at the pier where you will tender in and out of, including liquor stores for Rum, rum cake factory store, tshirst, jewelry stores, you name it, it's there.

Now, you could shorten your time at Rum Point and still have time to drive to the Turtle Farm. Maybe I'd suggest getting the car, head toward the Turtle Farm, then head back through Georgetown and onto Rum Point and enjoy lunch there. From what I hear, there is not much to see in Hell outside of getting a post card stamped.

The only way to get to Stingray City is via boat. So, if you really want to do that, I would highly suggest booking that excursion, Nativeways has a great excursion that takes it all in, but I don't know if the times you are there coordinates with them.

We were there in early May, there is absolutely NO ISSUES with the roads leading to Rum Point. They are regular two laned paved roads just like we have here in the US> It is very easy to get used to driving on the opposite side of the road, don't let that stop you. Parking is a non issue on Rum Point, although in Georgetown you might have some trouble, it is a big city. But, I'd suggest dropping the car back off, take the courtesy van back to the pier area, and shop at that time.

Please feel free to email me and my personal email and I'd be happy to send you some pics of Rum Point to help you with your decision. And, no, Rum Point is not paying me, we had such a wonderful day at Rum Point, I just want to share it with others.

Michelle

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

I definitely agree w/Michelle. We had not made any pre-arranged car rental, and when we got off the ship, just inquired at the information desk right at the pier. They had the courtesy van there within 5 minutes, and we drove over to get our car through Cayman auto rentals, if even a 5 min. drive. Only took maybe 10 minutes to get the car, and we were off. There was some traffice in Georgetown, but other than that, no problem driving on the other side of the road. The drive is very interesting around the island. Spend several hours at the beach. Had lunch at Rum Point restaurant. A very relaxing day. We will consider doing this again the next time we are in Grand Cayman!

Archived