This may be a sign I am getting old!!!???

RCmommy

I was not sure where to post this question so I am hoping this is okay and I apologize as I am sure it has been asked a dozen times already.

For some reason, I am not very gifted with the "search" option as it sends me to bizarre, unrelated areas. :)

We are looking at sailing on Carnival out of FLL at the end of April. In Canada our break is mid March. When is the USA Spring break dates? Are the universities and elementary/high schools at different times? And then I understand that different states go at different times as well...??

We would be travelling with our 11 yr old twins and although I don't mind a fun group I wouldn't want to be travelling on a ship with die hard partying 20somethings.

The date I was hoping to book is April 26.

Every college and school district is different, it also depends on whether or not it's a year round school. The spring break season is generally from the end of February through the end of April. My sons spring break starts March 15th. Some of the other school districts in our area are the week before and the week after....

Last year we cruised over the kids spring break...week before Easter on the magic with a "full" ship with more than 2000 school age kids. Best thing was that there were very very few seniors and very very few "partyers" since the ship was mostly parents and grandparents and all of these wonderful and enjoyable kids. I'm newly retired and it felt wonderful to be on a ship without walkers and wheel chairs and slow as snails "old" people for a change.

Give me the spring break demographic anytime.

Okay, so with that date we may get some but it will not be "Girls Gone Wild" on the ship with any luck. I can only imagine my sons face for the whole week!

:):):)

The ship could be over run with young school kids but I would rather avoid the drunken obnoxious half naked college students.

Edited by RCmommy

Most college students do land based spring breaks.....it's easier access to alcohol, it's much cheaper, and it's easier for them to book a room at a resort geared towards spring breakers than it it to book a stateroom on a ship with the age restrictions in place. Shorter cruises have a little more of a party atmosphere, but that's mostly adults...Stay away from Panama City Beach, Miami, Ft. lauderdale, etc during spring break to avoid the "girls gone wild" atmosphere. lol.

At that point, US colleges will be in school....as most finish up their years in early May.

So you may have some HS kids on the boat....but you shouldnt have any college students.

Most colleges I believe are the beginning of March (at least the ones I know).

Our local public schools (Massachusetts) have their break the week of April 19th.

We are in NH and have vacation the week after you, 4/26

Our public schools usually have their spring break around Easter, which is early April this year. Am assuming most other schools do the same, so you should be OK with your late April date.

We always have breaks the last week of February and the last week of April.

We are in NH and have vacation the week after you, 4/26

We always have breaks the last week of February and the last week of April.

That is nice. The schools here only have the spring break week in March and President's Day in Feb. We get out for the summer in mid May though.

We live in Panama City and here we see the Northern schools come down starting the first week of February..and it's almost like a wave they start from the North and the wave proceeds south...with the last of the stragglers the first week in April.

Our local schools are out starting March 21st. I'm hoping our cruise is not full of obnoxious kids or 20 somethings barfing everywhere. This is our first Spring Break cruise so I'm hopeful! ;)

That is nice. The schools here only have the spring break week in March and President's Day in Feb. We get out for the summer in mid May though.

While I'd love to get out in May, we educators really love having two breaks to look forward to. We usually finish the third week of June. Not this year, though, because today we had our third snow day in one week so we're officially going until 6/22 now. (Barring any more snow days this winter. :mad:)