No free WiFi on the Quantum this week :(

Looks like the free WiFi party is over as we did not receive it on the 2/2 sailing I'm on right now (I'm posting this from the Solarium). That said, the internet speeds are great with the fastest package that I purchased for $260 (two devices at a time) . Having no problems with regular browsing or streaming videos with speeds similar to what I receive at home. I was even able to remote into my home computer via Teamviewer with no problems.

I'm not sure what everyone else has been complaining about - the ship is absolutely amazing and there is no question it's nicer than any other Rccl ship I've ever been on.

It was really cold yesterday and the outside areas were covered in snow and ice. It was pretty much unbearable outside once we left Bayonne because of the cold and wind. Also, it was pretty rocky last night as I believe the captain said we had 17' - 18' waves. Cold again today but it seems to be warming up a little and the snow and ice on top of the solarium glass ceiling are starting to melt a bit.

Looks like the free WiFi party is over as we did not receive it on the 2/2 sailing I'm on right now (I'm posting this from the Solarium). That said, the internet speeds are great with the fastest package that I purchased for $260 (two devices at a time) . Having no problems with regular browsing or streaming videos with speeds similar to what I receive at home. I was even able to remote into my home computer via Teamviewer with no problems.

I'm not sure what everyone else has been complaining about - the ship is absolutely amazing and there is no question it's nicer than any other Rccl ship I've ever been on.

Sorry the party is over for the free Wifi, I thought for sure they would have still given it to a few more sailings. I found the Wifi in our cabin (midship Deck 12 Room 12638) to be working intermittently for the entire sailing on 1-23, not what I would have liked if we were paying for the service which would be my only complaint. Service was great in all the restaurants we ate at and food was better in some venues than others.

Have a wonderful cruise!!! She is a beauty!!!

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

What time did you finally sail away? I wonder how many passengers missed the ship. We had a trauma getting home yesterday after disembarking. It was a ghost town at Newark as so many flights were cancelled.

Did you use RCCL transport to Newark or did you make your own arrangements? If you used a car service what time was your pickup, and who did you use? We'll we sailing later this month and are making arrangements for a pickup in Bayonne. Thanks.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island the night before the cruise so we could

park the car there for free while we were on the ship. They also provide a free shuttle to the port which is nice. We had a 10:00 shuttle, got to the port around 10:40 and were on the ship by 11:00. That same shuttle will pick us up after the cruise and take us back to the hotel.

I was on the Oasis last week and purchased the fastest internet package. ($109 for one device with platinum discount) I was not able to use Netflix. No one could figure out why. It's not blocked on the ship. The blurb on their paperwork says you can stream movies. I got error messages on both my iPhone and iPad. One rep at GS said he was able to stream Amazon movies, so he thought it was a Netflix thing. I spoke to Netflix when I got home and rep thought the download speed (I tested it at 3.84 mps) was too slow for Netflix when others were using bandwidth. Not all that techy to know who was just guessing at the answer. I felt if Netflix was not an option, there should be an * next to the statement that you can stream movies. So many people think of Netflix when you think of streaming movies. Curious which movies you were able to stream.

As an aside... imessage, Facetime Audio and Facetime Video worked perfectly. In fact, in some cases it was clearer than using cellular.

I just tried streaming a movie through the Netflix app on my phone and it worked great. I should clarify I only let it stream for a few minutes but I didn't experience any problems.

I could not even get that far. Error message as soon as the "loading" circle started to spin. Do you know how fast your connection is? I was under the impression that Oasis is using the O3B connection... though no one on the ship knew if this was true or not, or even what it was.... including the fellow in the internet room!

Unless I plan to be on the Oasis again soon, (which I don't) it's really not relevant any more. And it was not a big deal even when I was there. But more curious now why I could not get it to work on either device and you are. Are you using an Apple product or Android? Maybe that is the issue.

I'm consistently getting 3.97mbps download every time I run a speed test. I'm on an Android HTC One M8.

I got 3.84 mps so I don't think it was a speed issue... maybe it's iphone vs. android. The only other difference would be the type of internet.. if it's different on the two ships.

I imagine the free Wi-Fi the entire month of January was free because they had to address many issues that passengers were experiencing before that time. Hopefully it is all corrected especially at those prices.

Have a great time! Can't wait for our turn.:D

Did you use RCCL transport to Newark or did you make your own arrangements? If you used a car service what time was your pickup, and who did you use? We'll we sailing later this month and are making arrangements for a pickup in Bayonne. Thanks.

We were going to preorder a taxi, but after asking on CC and the driver we used to get to the port from our Newark hotel, everyone said there would be plenty of taxis. WRONG!!!!!

I looked off our balcony around 6:15 and there were only a few. We were really worried because we had a 10:30 flight. In normal situations, when you walk off early that's no problem. We got off the ship as soon as they opened the gangway. There were only a couple of 12 pass vans out there. At that time we were the last two to get on one to Newark airport. Everyone else headed back in out of the pouring rain. The guy I was sitting beside said he had been told there would be lots of taxis as well.

Of course, our 10:30 AM flt was already cancelled and we ended up getting home at 11PM from LaGuardia! (Long story)

So, in the future, I will order a car service. Better safe than sorry.

The Captain said they offered it so far not cause it does not work , but cause it can.. yeah right!!!! He even said that in a show they had to "ask the captain.". he said "if we offered it all to you , you would all say to me it does not work .. why would I do that.." uh cause only 1/2 of us would be paying for it ?? they offered it to us all as an experiment.. but still love the captain..

Edited by Kosi

We were going to preorder a taxi, but after asking on CC and the driver we used to get to the port from our Newark hotel, everyone said there would be plenty of taxis. WRONG!!!!!

I looked off our balcony around 6:15 and there were only a few. We were really worried because we had a 10:30 flight. In normal situations, when you walk off early that's no problem. We got off the ship as soon as they opened the gangway. There were only a couple of 12 pass vans out there. At that time we were the last two to get on one to Newark airport. Everyone else headed back in out of the pouring rain. The guy I was sitting beside said he had been told there would be lots of taxis as well.

Of course, our 10:30 AM flt was already cancelled and we ended up getting home at 11PM from LaGuardia! (Long story)

So, in the future, I will order a car service. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the heads up, we plan to get a car service for a pickup, just don't know what time to get it for. We're local so aren't in a big hurry to exit the ship, I guess we'll put a preliminary order in for around 10AM and then alter it if we get off the ship earlier.

Sorry for the rough trip home but unfortunately you can't control the weather.

I just checked my account and I paid $254.99 for Internet on the 11 night cruise were on right now. That was with a platinum discount so I think the regular price was $280 or so. I honestly don't know what the other options were as I just went for the fastest option for two devices. I do remember there were lots of other packages available with various speeds and time limits so you'll definitely find something that works for you.