Currency on the Singapore to Hk cruise

T&C Fulham

I've posted this on the Roll Call for our cruise but had no response. Maybe everyone is too busy packing as we sail at the end of next week.

What do travellers do about foreign currency on this adventure?

Singapore Dollar,

Thailand,

Cambodia,

Vietnam

Hong Kong Dollar.

Most of the time we are on organised tours but one needs a bit of local cash for beers and snacks.

I can offload any spare from Singapore because I have neighbours in London who commute regularly.

But I am reluctant to come home with the middle three.

We did a similar itinerary on Sojourn in 2014, although we didn't visit Cambodia on our cruise.

We used local currency in Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong.

US $ , (notes only, not coins,) in Vietnam, we had some left from a trip to Florida. Smaller denomination notes were very handy for tips, beers, soft drinks etc.

If you don't have any US $ lying around, it's probably worth your while to exchange for some Vietnamese Dong instead, especially for purchases in more off the track places, small markets etc.

I'll be interested to hear other's experiences in Vietnam.

I'm fairly certain, from my previous experience in the travel industry, that US $ will be your best bet in Cambodia too, but perhaps someone who's actually been there can comment on this.

It was a super cruise, I'm quite envious, I hope you enjoy it very much.

Edited by Nigella

We did a similar itinerary on Sojourn in 2014, although we didn't visit Cambodia on our cruise.

We used local currency in Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong.

US $ , (notes only, not coins,) in Vietnam, we had some left from a trip to Florida. Smaller denomination notes were very handy for tips, beers, soft drinks etc.

If you don't have any US $ lying around, it's probably worth your while to exchange for some Vietnamese Dong instead, especially for purchases in more off the track places, small markets etc.

I'll be interested to hear other's experiences in Vietnam.

I'm fairly certain, from my previous experience in the travel industry, that US $ will be your best bet in Cambodia too, but perhaps someone who's actually been there can comment on this.

It was a super cruise, I'm quite envious, I hope you enjoy it very much.

We've been to Cambodia and much like Vietnam, they welcome the USD. Have a wonderful trip!

I agree, the US dollar is widely acceptable. I always take a credit card which does not charge for ATM cash withdraws, which I use. If I find I have some notes left, there are currency exchange booths and I change the previous ports currency there to prevent a lot of foreign currency piling up.

I've posted this on the Roll Call for our cruise but had no response. Maybe everyone is too busy packing as we sail at the end of next week.

What do travellers do about foreign currency on this adventure?

Singapore Dollar,

Thailand,

Cambodia,

Vietnam

Hong Kong Dollar.

Most of the time we are on organised tours but one needs a bit of local cash for beers and snacks.

I can offload any spare from Singapore because I have neighbours in London who commute regularly.

But I am reluctant to come home with the middle three.

I second Nigella's comment. For Cambodia and Vietnam you only need US$. In Cambodia even the grocery stores use US$ and will only give you local currency for change under 1 US$. But if possible try and get a wad of fairly new $1 bills, it makes life, tips etc very easy.

For larger bills, especially $100, you need to have pretty much pristine new paper in order for them to be accepted without a problem.

That said, a beer in Vietnam is $1 so it's best to have plenty of small notes.

For Singapore, HK and Thailand it is best to have local currency, either from an ATM or get a small amount of each from the airport exchange facilities.

Edited by conchyjoe