Istanbul, Venice and "Deviations"

Bruin Steve

I am on the July 14, 2006 Nautica sailing, Istanbul to Venice. Although a veteran of many cruises, this is our first experience with Oceania, so I have a few questions...this time regarding air deviations and hotel stays pre-and post-cruise.

Typically, we like to extend our cruise on both ends by adding some additional time in the start and end ports...and we have also typically done this through the cruise line--in order to keep everything in a nice neat seamless package. But, we find Oceania's hotel options to be limited and overpriced (right now, they are showing us nothing for Istanbul and the only hotel they show for Venice is the Gritti Palace at a whopping $699 per person for ONE NIGHT!...When we cruised out of Venice two years ago on Celebrity, they offered a two-night hotel package for $359 pp)...

Since I don't want to merely fly in the day of the cruise and fly out the day it ends, I am now considering booking my own hotels and arranging for "deviations" for the air...

My first question regards deviations...Believe it or not, I've never done this on any cruise. I am assuming my flight requirements are still handled by Oceania, but rather than fly in the day of the cruise and fly out the day it ends, I can ask them to book me on flights two days earlier and two days later, correct? How much extra will this cost me? Are there any other problems with doing this? I also assume I am then "on my own" for transfers to and from ship and airport... Whatever info anyone experienced with Oceania deviations can give me is appreciated...

Next Question: I've never been to Istanbul. Are there any hotels anyone would recommend? Is there a part of town I should want to be in? How easy (and costly) is it to get from Airport to Hotel to Cruise ship? Where does the cruise ship dock?

Next, Venice: I am fairly familiar with Venice, having visited several times. Where does Oceania dock in Venice?

Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks.

It costs $50 pp to request air deviation. There may be an additional charge if the flights you want are more expensive. The other option is to take the credit for the "free" air and arrange your own air travel.

Last year, we just had to pay the $50 deviation; this year, it's the $50 deviation plus another $50pp. That was still about the same price as what we could find on our own.

In Venice, we shared a mini-van cab from the airport to the ship with another couple (who we met in the airport) for 10 Euro per person. That was MUCH cheaper than the Oceania transfers.

I also have been doing extensive research for hotels in VCE & IST on our own. We refused to pay $900/nt for 2 at the Gritti Palace; & was not interested in staying in the financial district area of IST. We will be staying in the Sultanahment section (the historic section close to the the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia & Grand Bazaar). I haven't made a firm decision on the hotel yet. For both cities I did searches through Google for Istanbul hotels & Venice hotels. I also went to yahoo.com; traveladvisor.com; Travel & Leisure.com & asked for hotel reviews. I've come up with probably 25 hotels in IST that range in size from 10 room family owned B&B's to 50 room boutique hotels right in the hub of things. Once you find the name of the hotel; do a Google search for it. They usually have a nice website showing locations, pictures & rates to help you choose. I've noticed that most of these hotels offer free airport p/u if you stay a minimum of 3 nights, in addition to free continental breakfast. As for the cruise ship dock in IST; it is at the end of the Galata Bridge (NE side) in the new town section. I found a web site for the Venice ship terminals; & found that Oceania uses a smaller dock (closer to San Marco area) rather than the big terminal right where the bridge comes over from the mainland. The dock is called San Basilio, in the Dorsoduro section on the Giudecca Canal. The real challenge with finding a VCE hotel on your own is the logistics of navigating your luggage from your vaporetto stop to your hotel. Unless of course you want to go to the expense of a water taxi that could take you right up to your hotel (if it is located on a canal). There's so many things to take into consideration when you are responsible for your own transfers. I'll be glad when it's a done deal; cause I'm getting tired of worrying about it. HAHA

And btw, since we also wanted extra days before & after the cruise (Regatta 4/23/06), we too did air deviations. Didn't want to take the chance that we'd have to change planes twice to get there. So, I found good itineraries on my own through Delta (out of FLL through JFK w/ nonstops from NY to IST & from VCE). I requested these flights; was charged the $50/pp deviation fee; & fortunately there was no additional fare assessed. We certainly got lucky there since MIA (not FLL) is their air gateway city. I wish you much luck w/ your searches.

During my last stay in Venice at the Bauer (very expensive) I made note of a small hotel right across from it - Violino D'Oro (Gold Violin). It looked small but very nice and the price is right for Venice and you can't beat the location - just a few minutes from Piazza San Marco. By the way The Gritti Palace is one of the top hotels in Venice so the price is also high.

Hope this helps.

http://www.veniceclick.net/Venice-hotels/Violino-Oro-hotel.htm

Gritti Palace is THE most gorgeous wonderful hotel in Venice ( but that is in our opinion .. and it is just so fabulous that they can charge whatever they want.. )

But, there are so many other hotels all around San Marcos and on the Grand Canal.. Try

venere.com

for hotels in Venice

The ship docking location depends on what is available when they get there.. for us it was about a five minute water bus ride to San Marcos.. you can walk..

very close.

For Istanbul check the Conrad ( Hilton) Istanbul or 4 Seasons.. or if you can get a great price then the best is Ciragan Palace Hotel.

Thank you both for your info. Daniela, I had not run across the name Violino D'Oro in my research. I found their own website & agree that it looks like a great hotel. Very new & non-smoking (I'm allergic). Probably won't find anything that close to San Marco for the price (250 euros). I'll discuss that w/ my friend; we just might go w/ it.

Becky

Archived