Cove Balconies and Sea Sickness

cruiselover1980

We are booked in adjoining balconies on the 8th floor of the Dream. I would really like to try the cove balconies but I get sea sick. I'm worried that the closeness of the balcony to the moving water will make it worse. What has your experience been with this? If I take medicine when we cruise I'm fine. For comparison, the Galveston Ferry makes me pretty queasy.

The general rule is the lower and more to the midship you are, the less motion you'll feel. So in reality the cove balconies should have less motion than the normal balconies on higher floors

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you are like my DH and even watching something move can make you sick! He can't watch 3D movies or read a map for long in the car.

Honestly however, we book a stateroom as high up (and even forward) as we can go because of the fantastic balcony views. Even my DH chose the spa balcony over the cove because of the view and he's the one that suffers from motion sickness. Meclizine nightly takes care of any sickness he might have unless seas are really rough. I think the coves are really cool and would like to try one someday but for now, we'll go higher for the great views.

We are booked in adjoining balconies on the 8th floor of the Dream. I would really like to try the cove balconies but I get sea sick. I'm worried that the closeness of the balcony to the moving water will make it worse. What has your experience been with this? If I take medicine when we cruise I'm fine. For comparison, the Galveston Ferry makes me pretty queasy.

I get sea sick and I like the 8th floor. I feel the motion no matter where I am on the ship I take the motion sickness stuff every night cause it seems to be when it hits me. I think being that close to the water would be worse if your on your balcony but in your room it would be the same. when there is movement the whole ship moves not just the top or bottom.

My DH watched some youtube videos of the views from a cove balcony and that helped him determine the higher balcony level. He too felt the water rushing by might make him more prone to motion sickness. The videos are a good indicator and I'm glad we looked them up.

We really really loved our cove balcony. I wish all the ships had them . Yes it is close to the water but the movement is usually not as much lower and more to the center of the ship. IF you looked out you could see the flying fish and we did see some dolphins. It didnt bother us being close but i usually just look out into the water anyway. It is sheltered and more private also. I thought they were bigger too. We loved it all. have fun!

I greatly prefer coves & being closer to the water. The views are much better being closer to the water. There will be less motion on the lower decks. However, if watching the water rush by so fast bothers you, then the cove wouldn't be good. That's not a motion thing. In fact, some of the best advice for dealing with motion sickness is to watch the horizon & watch the water. If doing that makes you sick, then it's not motion sickness, but still just as real.

We took our Mom on a cruise, someone deathly afraid of water, who spent 15 days of a Transatlantic voyage, way back when, in her cabin with a barf bag at hand. Long story short...she never once complained about any motion sickness on the cruise even on high swell days, ate heartily, and even sat on the balcony watching the sea swim past. In today's world cruise ships are designed and built to withstand the sea's rolls. Just watch your water glass when dining. Bet the water is nice and still even in the most inclement weather.

Of course sea-sickness is real but I've never traveled with anyone who has suffered from it on all my cruises.

Just off the Dream 2 weeks ago in a cove balcony, not a problem with ship motion but what a sight with the ship cutting thru the waves and sending up the spray

I love cove balconies and they rock less than higher balconies. Anytime I am on the Dream I book a cove because only3 ships have the low cove balconies which have much better views of the water than higher balconies where you look down and see lifeboats or other decks.

On ships without cove balconies, like my next cruise on the Dawn, I have a balcony on the 11th deck but on that ship and most others you can see right down into the water without lifeboats or other decks blocking your view.

None of us have ever had a problem with seasickness even though my wife sometimes gets carsick.

Thanks for the replies. My main concern is the water rushing by not the ship rocking. I'll probably be better off if I stay high.

I had the same thoughts so I am glad you asked the question. I believe the higher balconies are better for me because the horizon is more distant. In other words looking straight out involves more air than sea. A cove balcony looks amazing but the rushing water would add to my unease. We boat alot and live on the water so of course I am really close to the water then, but when I get that sick feeling I can look to shore. On a cruise ship that isn't happening. But I do fine on a higher balcony.

I have an issue with seasickness whenever we have had an aft room. For me, it is the motion. Have been in a cove balcony on the Dream and loved it. Will Chan o for them again in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I prefer the higher level forward rooms.

CJ

I suffer from motion sickness quite badly. I was worried about this as well before our cruise last April in a cove. 2 days before we cruised, I started taking Bonine and continued taking it all throughout the cruise. I was never even a tiny bit sick, and I get sick in the car! We had some really rough seas a couple of days, and I never felt a thing. The coves are absolutely fantastic!

My husband is the king of seasickness...BUT...even after 16 cruises he's never been sick on a ship:) and we've stay from deck 2 to deck 9, aft, forward and mid, inside and balcony. However, we booked ov once and I couldn't open the curtains!!!! The close proximity to the water and being able to see the water rush by made him turn green almost immediately.

We saw a cove on a cabin crawl and he said he'd never be able to stay in one. Just something to think about.