Which itinerary?

kkbrig

These two itineraries are very similar. Wondering if there are things I'm overlooking as we pick one:

First one, a 12 day:

1- arrive in Fairbanks late

2- riverboat on Chena River, Gold Dredge Tour, evening free

3- motorcoach to Princess Denali Lodge (~2.5 hours), free after that

4- Natural History tour, free afternoon (plan to upgrade this to TWT)

5- train to Whittier and onto boat for cruise

Second one, a 13 day:

2- riverboat on Chena River, motor coach to Princess Denali lodge

3- NHT, free afternoon (again, plan to upgrade to TWT)

4- motorcoach to Princess McKinley lodge (2 hours), then free time

5- free day

6- transfer to Talkeetna and train to Whittier, onto boat for cruise

One the first one, I like that we do a little more of that Fairbanks tour, the Gold Dredge tour. It seems everyone says it touristy but that they really enjoy it.

For the second one, we actually have more time in/near Denali National park, although it's split in two locations. Denali is a priority, so in one respect that gives this one the edge. However, I'm not sure if the location changing and the time involved sort of negates some of the benefits of being there longer? I seem to see a lot of reviews talking about their excursions out of Denali Lodge and not so much out of McKinley lodge (Talkeetna). But I may have just confused it as I read them!

As far as excursions, we are a family of 6, so we may decide to splurge on a flight seeing tour at some point, but we certainly won't do more than one. I'm thinking rafting and hiking, maybe the boat tour, more that kind of thing.

Thanks for helping. Sometimes I don't see what's right in front of me!

If option 1 is your preference, fly in a day prior to the cruisetour so that you can do the Gold Dredge tour (and other activities in Fairbanks.) Cruisetours seem to shortchange Fairbanks and it really has a lot to offer.

Day 5 on option 1 might be tough .... that's a long travel day. Denali to Talkeetna to Whittier?? Are you sure that you don't overnight in Talkeetna on day 4.

Have you considered DIY so that you can go where you want to go and choose how long to stay ? If you don't want to rent a car, you can book seats on the train and bus yourself.

http://www.akrr.com

http://www.alaskacoach.com

Edited by mapleleaves

These two itineraries are very similar. Wondering if there are things I'm overlooking as we pick one:

First one, a 12 day:

2- riverboat on Chena River, Gold Dredge Tour, evening free

3- motorcoach to Princess Denali Lodge (~2.5 hours), free after that

4- Natural History tour, free afternoon (plan to upgrade this to TWT)

5- train to Whittier and onto boat for cruise

Second one, a 13 day:

2- riverboat on Chena River, motor coach to Princess Denali lodge

3- NHT, free afternoon (again, plan to upgrade to TWT)

4- motorcoach to Princess McKinley lodge (2 hours), then free time

5- free day

6- transfer to Talkeetna and train to Whittier, onto boat for cruise

One the first one, I like that we do a little more of that Fairbanks tour, the Gold Dredge tour. It seems everyone says it touristy but that they really enjoy it.

For the second one, we actually have more time in/near Denali National park, although it's split in two locations. Denali is a priority, so in one respect that gives this one the edge. However, I'm not sure if the location changing and the time involved sort of negates some of the benefits of being there longer? I seem to see a lot of reviews talking about their excursions out of Denali Lodge and not so much out of McKinley lodge (Talkeetna). But I may have just confused it as I read them!

As far as excursions, we are a family of 6, so we may decide to splurge on a flight seeing tour at some point, but we certainly won't do more than one. I'm thinking rafting and hiking, maybe the boat tour, more that kind of thing.

Thanks for helping. Sometimes I don't see what's right in front of me!

Don't assume that on either tour you will have the time to upgrade to the TWT in Denali, you probably won't be able to do that.

You are correct about more excursion out of Denali than out of Telkeetna, but the drive between the two is very nice and if the weather is good you get some nice views of the mountain. If you want to see the mountain Telkeetna is the place to be.

Thanks all! I am opting for the second because it gives us more days in AK in general (13 vs 12) and more time in Denali area. I am hoping that it will work for us to come to Fairbanks a day or so earlier, as well as stay in Vancouver a day or two later.

I have not had much time to really study the excursions offered- have just briefly looked them over. The horseback riding and jet boating seem right up our alley!! Thanks for planting that seed!!