OK to give credit card info to tour operators?

Trish Traveler

So, I haven't cruised in a while and previously, many tour operators on various Caribbean islands would allow reservations where you paid in full with cash the day of. But I totally understand why they would want some deposit so people are willing to commit or loose some money. I am researching here to try and find reputable tour operators for San Juan and I understand anything can happen. But with all the identify theft in the news, is anyone ever leery of giving out credit card info to someone in another country when the site is not encrypted? I don't want to be paranoid, but it is everyday in the news. Just wondering.

Obviously, I am not asking for proof positive that nothing will happen if I book someone online. Just wondering about experiences in general.

Thanks for any input.

So, I haven't cruised in a while and previously, many tour operators on various Caribbean islands would allow reservations where you paid in full with cash the day of. But I totally understand why they would want some deposit so people are willing to commit or loose some money. I am researching here to try and find reputable tour operators for San Juan and I understand anything can happen. But with all the identify theft in the news, is anyone ever leery of giving out credit card info to someone in another country when the site is not encrypted? I don't want to be paranoid, but it is everyday in the news. Just wondering.

Obviously, I am not asking for proof positive that nothing will happen if I book someone online. Just wondering about experiences in general.

Thanks for any input.

Use a credit card, not a debit card and you are protected. Identity theft is very very rare, in fact it almost NEVER happens. What happens is that bad guys steal credit card numbers and run up bills, that is not identity theft, its just flat out theft. Your credit card company takes care of that with no impact to you.