CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Originally posted by B42low I just return from a cruise on the Anthem. I stayed near Newark airport in Elizabeth at the residence. There is Mall, called the mills at jersey gardens within walking distance with an express bus to Port authority bus terminal 8 th Av. And 42 nd. $3.50 p/p each way.

Sent from my iPhone using

How far was the port bus terminal from the actual port where you check in? Just curious.... Thanks.

I think there is a confusion here. B42low is posting about NJ Transit bus service (#112 & 115) between Jersey Gardens Mall and Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd & 8th Ave in Manhattan. This is not bus service to Cape Liberty for the Anthem. It could theoretically be used to get to the Manhattan cruiseport, but taking luggage on NJ Transit buses can be problematic because there is usually no luggage storage space.

This bus service could be used to get to Manhattan, but you have to be very careful with the schedule because the service is focused on getting folks from NYC to the Mall to shop. This means that the service going to NYC early in the day and returning in the evening runs about every 1.5 hours. You can pull up the 112 and 115 schedules to see what your options would be - http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BusTo

Driving from CT to Cape Liberty for Sunday 4/30/17 Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda. Any advice on best route to drive and when to arrive?

Thanks!

It looks like you live just north of Meriden CT. Get on I91 South and take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway (Wilbur Cross Parkway) This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle (left exit) to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. Stay on the Henry Hudson to where it ends at the Manhattan Cruiseport. The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

There are no trucks on this route from the Wilbur Cross Parkway to the George Washington Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the I95 intersection with I87.

I'd try to arrive by 10:30 am. I just drove from NW of Boston to Larchmont yesterday (Sunday) and there was little traffic doing it a bit later.

Originally posted by B42low I just return from a cruise on the Anthem. I stayed near Newark airport in Elizabeth at the residence. There is Mall, called the mills at jersey gardens within walking distance with an express bus to Port authority bus terminal 8 th Av. And 42 nd. $3.50 p/p each way.

Sent from my iPhone using

How far was the port bus terminal from the actual port where you check in? Just curious.... Thanks.

I think there is a confusion here. B42low is posting about NJ Transit bus service (#112 & 115) between Jersey Gardens Mall and Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd & 8th Ave in Manhattan. This is not bus service to Cape Liberty for the Anthem. It could theoretically be used to get to the Manhattan cruiseport, but taking luggage on NJ Transit buses can be problematic because there is usually no luggage storage space.

This bus service could be used to get to Manhattan, but you have to be very careful with the schedule because the service is focused on getting folks from NYC to the Mall to shop. This means that the service going to NYC early in the day and returning in the evening runs about every 1.5 hours. You can pull up the 112 and 115 schedules to see what your options would be - http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BusTo

Thanks.

I'm getting closer to my cruise on Anthem. So far, I've figured out that I can pick up a shared shuttle to take me from JFK to EWR for $30. But, now I'm trying to figure out what shuttle I can take from EWR to the pier. Since I'm traveling alone, I would most likely prefer a shuttle type service rather than Uber. But, I'm sort of flexible, especially if time is an issue.

I'm getting closer to my cruise on Anthem. So far, I've figured out that I can pick up a shared shuttle to take me from JFK to EWR for $30. But, now I'm trying to figure out what shuttle I can take from EWR to the pier. Since I'm traveling alone, I would most likely prefer a shuttle type service rather than Uber. But, I'm sort of flexible, especially if time is an issue.

Could you provide more details about your time line? Are you flying into JFK the morning of the cruise? If so, what time does your flight arrive? What is the name of the shared shuttle you are booking? What time would you anticipate getting to EWR?

The only shared shuttle operation from EWR to Cape Liberty is the RCL transfer. Your current plan might not be the best one for ensuring you meet the 2:30 pm cutoff for check in.

Could you provide more details about your time line? Are you flying into JFK the morning of the cruise? If so, what time does your flight arrive? What is the name of the shared shuttle you are booking? What time would you anticipate getting to EWR?

The only shared shuttle operation from EWR to Cape Liberty is the RCL transfer. Your current plan might not be the best one for ensuring you meet the 2:30 pm cutoff for check in.

My flight arrives to JFK at 7:02 am. I plan to take the ETS shuttle service for $31 to EWR. They leave quite frequently. Once I get to EWR, I need to figure a plan from there.

When I cruised Celebrity Summit there was a shared shuttle waiting at the pier when the ship returned and he drove us all to JFK for a very reasonable price. I just wish I kept that info.

My flight arrives to JFK at 7:02 am. I plan to take the ETS shuttle service for $31 to EWR. They leave quite frequently. Once I get to EWR, I need to figure a plan from there.

When I cruised Celebrity Summit there was a shared shuttle waiting at the pier when the ship returned and he drove us all to JFK for a very reasonable price. I just wish I kept that info.

Your only easy options from EWR are to buy a cruise transfer from RCL or to take a cab or book a car service. When you get to Cape Liberty, take the time to find the taxi dispatcher to discuss your options to get to JFK when you disembark. What time is your return flight?

Your only easy options from EWR are to buy a cruise transfer from RCL or to take a cab or book a car service. When you get to Cape Liberty, take the time to find the taxi dispatcher to discuss your options to get to JFK when you disembark. What time is your return flight?

My return flight is after 4pm. I may book the excursion that RCL offers. It's too bad it's only "site seeing" and you don't have a chance to get off the bus to experience some of NYC.

138East, is it true that the Bayonne Bridge is open? Leaving on Anthem this weekend, and just want to make sure that I don't need to take the alternate route

As of now there are no advisories about closings on Sunday March 19. I'd check this web site before you leave - https://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.html

We are sailing on Anthem out of Cape Liberty on April 29th, staying 2 nights pre-cruise at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. Planning a day/evening in NYC on Friday, April 28th. I know that we can take the PATH from the hotel to WTC which will put us in the vicinity of most sites we plan to visit. However, we are considering going to a Broadway Show that evening on West 45th Street. My question is (a) is there a train that we could take back to the Hilton Newark Penn Station around 10:30 p.m., (b) would it be within walking distance and if so, directions to the train. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since we have never taken the train before. Thank-you.

We are sailing on Anthem out of Cape Liberty on April 29th, staying 2 nights pre-cruise at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. Planning a day/evening in NYC on Friday, April 28th. I know that we can take the PATH from the hotel to WTC which will put us in the vicinity of most sites we plan to visit. However, we are considering going to a Broadway Show that evening on West 45th Street. My question is (a) is there a train that we could take back to the Hilton Newark Penn Station around 10:30 p.m., (b) would it be within walking distance and if so, directions to the train. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since we have never taken the train before. Thank-you.

On a Saturday night there are trains at 10:57 and 11:07. You can take a Northeast Corridor or North Jersey Coast train. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom

It's about a 12 block walk south on 8th Ave to NY Penn Station at 33rd St. NJ Transit trains are on the 8th Ave side of Penn Station. Long Island RR trains are on the 7th Ave side, so you want to be sure you are on the 8th Ave side.

If you're sure you will do this, You might want to take the time to buy your tickets ahead when you're in Newark Penn Station earlier that day. Cost is $5.25/pp with a senior fare of $2.45 available. That way you are all set to just find the train if you're running close on the time. New York Penn Station is very big and more confusing than Newark Penn Station.

From lower Manhattan you want to take the #1 or E train to 42nd St and walk to 45th Street to the theater.

Thank-you very much for this information. I'll keep this information in my cruise notes in case I decide to do the Broadway show . I really want to go but being a "small town girl" I'm a little nervous about making my way back to the hotel that late in the evening. ;-)

Thank-you very much for this information. I'll keep this information in my cruise notes in case I decide to do the Broadway show . I really want to go but being a "small town girl" I'm a little nervous about making my way back to the hotel that late in the evening. ;-)

11:00 pm is not late in NYC. You're staying in the Hilton which has skywalk from Newark Penn Station. I'd be aware of your surroundings, but I wouldn't be nervous. There will be lots of people about.

Hello everyone. Can anybody tell me when arriving at the port, do you go up to a rep. With an iPad to check in or do you wait on a line inside?

Also do they have a diamond line. Thanks much

Security line is first. There is some priority, but it's not based on C&A status. It might be based on the completeness of your Set Sail form (like picture or no picture). I really don't know, but I know I didn't have the priority.

After security you might just be able to go up to a rep, but you also may be put in a row of seats and the rep will come to you. Once you're done with the rep, you can head off to board the ship. Actually it's a very quick process. I liked being able to sit down and wait for the rep rather than standing in line.

... June 22 Anthem cruise ... at 4 ... coming from the DC area ... hoping to leave about 9:30 and arrive ... about 1:30 ...

It's a weekday ... way, way too close, not even margins for delays, traffic, flat tire, detours & accidents, etc. coming up I-95, thru DE and onto NJ Turnpike as there's essentially no other shortcut if there's a major incident last minute.

I don't need to say much about morning traffic around the Beltway, where approximately within DC, inside or suburb, VA side or MD side - Montgomery or PG County, etc. Long ago, I lived/worked in NW & did quite a bit of weekend commuting back to NY with parents then - would allow 4.5 hours with 1 or 2 quick pit stops planned.

If you aren't familiar with getting into Cape Liberty & weekdays, there's always the potential for busy & heavy commercial/port traffic in that area coming off the NJT ... add 30 minutes + allow time (15 min.) to park & walk back to do security & check-in, etc. before boarding. I'll let 138east/Carol & the RCI experts here spell out those in details & update you on their thoughts.

What is RCI's cutoff for being onboard, is it 90 minutes or 2 hours before 4 PM sailing. Anyway, I see myself - being in your shoes - leaving the driveway & on the Beltway no later than 8:30 AM ... still the morning rush hour (is HOV lane in use on I-95, use it if you can) - 8 AM would be closer to my comfort zone. And, pack a lunch to eat while on the move as you won't have time to stop to get a bite at the rest area (if I'm fully energized, usually stop at DE's rest stop for restroom & food)

Let's see what others think (aside from leaving the day/night before) on this day of ...

(On a typical weekday, it would be a success leaving DC at 8 AM, make one stop en route - and get into Cape Liberty around 12:30 PM, parked & inside the building by 1 PM to do the rest, prior to getting onboard.) This also assumed that your car/suv/van is EZ-Pass enabled/equipped as it will speed up thru all the toll stops & skipping the cash lanes, easily 15 to 30 minutes with all 6 toll booth stops along this route.

Leaving as late as 9:30 am is a totally lousy idea.

Your absolute first priority is to not miss the ship. It's first stop is Bermuda two days later.

I've sailed from Cape Liberty many many times coming a similar distance from the Boston area. I actually had a rather death defying arrival one time around 2:30 pm on a cruise bus having left Braintree Mass at about 6 am. However, RCL knew we were coming so we were not on their "dodo" list. I've also driven down the morning of the cruise, but I was on the road from my house NW of Boston at 5:30 am and didn't have to deal with any real metro traffic until I got as far as Hartford, CT.

I have two suggestions. First - come up the night before. Book the trinityreservations.com park, sleep, cruise package for $219 tax included at the Ramada Plaza. This includes parking for your 9 day cruise ($180 value), room, and round trip port transportation. I did this in Feb and was very happy with the package.

Second - drive up the night before at least as far as Delaware or South Jersey and get a motel room. I can make recommendations a bit further up at exit 8 and 8a on the NJ Turnpike, which is about an hour from the port. When I cruised with my mother, I made this trip many times from exit 8 leaving around 9:30 am.

It looks like you live just north of Meriden CT. Get on I91 South and take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway (Wilbur Cross Parkway) This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle (left exit) to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. Stay on the Henry Hudson to where it ends at the Manhattan Cruiseport. The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

There are no trucks on this route from the Wilbur Cross Parkway to the George Washington Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the I95 intersection with I87.

I'd try to arrive by 10:30 am. I just drove from NW of Boston to Larchmont yesterday (Sunday) and there was little traffic doing it a bit later.

Thank you!

It's a weekday ... way, way too close, not even margins for delays, traffic, flat tire, detours & accidents, etc. coming up I-95, thru DE and onto NJ Turnpike as there's essentially no other shortcut if there's a major incident last minute.

Leaving as late as 9:30 am is a totally lousy idea.

Your absolute first priority is to not miss the ship. It's first stop is Bermuda two days later.

I've sailed from Cape Liberty many many times coming a similar distance from the Boston area. I actually had a rather death defying arrival one time around 2:30 pm on a cruise bus having left Braintree Mass at about 6 am. However, RCL knew we were coming so we were not on their "dodo" list. I've also driven down the morning of the cruise, but I was on the road from my house NW of Boston at 5:30 am and didn't have to deal with any real metro traffic until I got as far as Hartford, CT.

I have two suggestions. First - come up the night before. Book the trinityreservations.com park, sleep, cruise package for $219 tax included at the Ramada Plaza. This includes parking for your 9 day cruise ($180 value), room, and round trip port transportation. I did this in Feb and was very happy with the package.

Second - drive up the night before at least as far as Delaware or South Jersey and get a motel room. I can make recommendations a bit further up at exit 8 and 8a on the NJ Turnpike, which is about an hour from the port. When I cruised with my mother, I made this trip many times from exit 8 leaving around 9:30 am.

Thanks guys. So we'll head up the night before. Our cruise is only 4 nights. Is there any other suggestions for places to stay for the night that include parking? We'll be getting there late and just sleeping so no need for anything fancy.