QE2 Tapestries Update

stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

I was speaking to Thomas, who I am sure many of you will know (veteran QE2 cruise staff member). He was saying that all three panels of the vandalised tapestry are with the British Museum. They are being repaired and generally restored. They should be back on the ship in September looking better than before. This time they will be displayed behind glass.

He said how upsetting the incident (and the publicity) had been for him personally and all of the crew.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS When you are QE2 don’t miss the heritage tour given be Thomas. It was so much fun. Wish my school history teacher had his style.

Thomas has a distinctly loud style that is difficuilt to sleep through. The tour always starts in the entrance lobby on (I think) two deck. Everyone sits down in the warmth of the ship and starts to doze. Along comes Thomas and #BANG# his had is slapping the valuable veneers and he is shouting about the history of Cunard. You see all the people dozing almost jump out of their skins, I am sure the doctor is always kept on standby at the start of these tours.

Good to hears the tapestries will be back by my next trip. Although they are meant to be part of a set I do not think they go that well next to each other, it would be good if they were in the same room but on different walls.

> Although they are meant to be part of a set I do not think they go that well next to each other, it would be good if they were in the same room but on different walls.

Never thought about it. You do have a point as they are totally independant images. I believe they were based on three seperate photographs.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Glad to hear the good news about the tapestries !!

If my memory is correct (and for those interested in changes to the ship over the years), I think that they used to be displayed in the location currently occupied by the massive Mauretania model outside the entrance to the Caronia Restaurant.

Tom

When I was first on the QE2 in 1980 the three tapestries of the ship's launching were hung as a set in the stairwell outside of the Columbia Restaurant, which is today's Caronia Restaurant. They were not where the large model of the MAURETANIA now resides. Also, at that time, instead of the current faux wood paneling the bulkheads were federal grey leather with white accents. It was really quite striking.

When I was first on the QE2 in 1980 the three tapestries of the ship's launching were hung as a set in the stairwell outside of the Columbia Restaurant, which is today's Caronia Restaurant. They were not where the large model of the MAURETANIA now resides. Also, at that time, instead of the current faux wood paneling the bulkheads were federal grey leather with white accents. It was really quite striking.

Calliope:

Reading your reply has now jogged my memory. My first QE2 crossing was in 1981. Were the tapestries then hanging where currently the large painting of Mauretania now hangs (near where the jigsaw puzzle is found) ???

Also, what was in the spot where the model now sits ???

In that general area, I certainly remember the old green-colored card room that was located in the space where the gents and bookshop currently are.

Tom

Where the large painting of the MAURETANIA now hangs was a large map of the world, if my memory serves me right. The current site of the model of the MAURETANIA I believe was just bulkhead, but nearby was the ship's tote board for wagering on how far the ship traveled during the past 24 hours. Next to the tote on the starboard side was the Midships Bar.

Back in those days a person travelling in Transatlantic Class, read second class, really wasn't supposed to be hanging out on the Quarter Deck. Certainly they were not to visit the Midships Bar!

Back in those days a person travelling in Transatlantic Class, read second class, really wasn't supposed to be hanging out on the Quarter Deck. Certainly they were not to visit the Midships Bar!

I was in Transatlantic class (eating in the "Tables of the World" restuarant), but will admit to wandering a little...purely to inspect !!!

I'm still confused Calliope - where were the tapestries hung back then ??? In my mind's eye I can see them, but I can't quite place the old location. Not an important point, but I'm curious (especially since I can't remember !!).

Tom

Tom, don't listen to me. I'm way more confused than you. LOL. I just checked the first edition of Capt. Warrick and Bill Flayhart's book "QE2", and there is a photo of the tapestries hung right where the large model of the MAURETANIA nor resides near the D stairway.

My God, from what I remember, you had to look up at the tapestries to view them, but that was 25 years ago. Tempest fuggit.

Archived