What brings you back to the Fantasy Class?

Indytraveler83

4 out of my 5 Carnival cruises have been on Fantasy class ships, most recently the Paradise. What brings me back is the less amount of people, so the crew can bond more with you, the shorter getaways, and the atrium. On newer ships you do get an atrium, but it does not ascend up to a humongous, beautiful skylight, as on the Fantasy class. But, the Spirit class does still have a nice skylight.

Part of the reason I chose the Elation is actually because it is one of the most "old school" ships in the fleet. For better or worse, I figured it would be interesting to try one of the ships that isn't 2.0 and is a little bit outdated. After all, I'll have years to cruise on the Breeze or Dream, but how much longer will the Elation be around in her current configuration?

(I know, I purposely chose one of the most outdated ships in the fleet. Crazy huh?)

My sole concern about this ship is the lumpy beds, but I guess I'll just drink margaritas until the bed feels good and cozy!

You appear to have a really fantastic attitude, and I have NO doubt you'll have a blast, no matter the class of ship!

My first cruise was on the Fantasy, and my second was on the Dream when she was the biggest/newest ship in the fleet. Both quite different experiences, but I loved each for what it was. I've been on the Sensation a couple times most recently (with Valor and Liberty in between), and had forgotten how nice it is to be able to find my way around (I share the lack of direction-sense with some of the previous posters here. Like, bad).

After the Liberty (with her 2.0 upgrades), the only thing I missed was the Alchemy Bar. Guy's Burgers didn't impress me at all, and Blue Iguana was good, but not terribly important.

Up next is the Paradise, and I'm absolutely looking forward to checking her out! It'll be a first cruise for two of the people in our party, and I've no doubt it won't be their last.

Have a great time! Look forward to hearing about your first cruise experience!

Our first carnival cruise was on the fantasy and we are really looking forward to our Elation trip.

We have fond memories of the Fantasy experience: small crowd and the most laid back cruise too.... Kinda felt like you were cruising with family members-- you'd see the same cruisers and employees.

We disliked (i mean as far as one can actually dislike a cruise) the Conquest if we had to rank them-- great employees but wrecked layout, traffic jams, too many people, lines too long, people complaining. Just too much of everything.

We are hoping for a more laid back crowd (i mean about complaints, not about partying)

Edited by spleenstomper

I love the Fantasy class ships. After sailing the Holiday, Jubilee, and Celebration, I was excited to try the Fantasy when it was brand new, then the Ecstasy when it first sailed as a 7 day trip. I've had multiple sailings on Inspiration, Paradise, Sensation (our honeymoon cruise), etc. I have only one Fantasy class left and then I'll have the collection--the Elation. My DH and I will be sailing on her in June.

I do like the other classes of ships. The Breeze had way too many people for my comfort. If I'm in the mood for big and busy, I'll go back to the Dream class. I love the Spirit class--it's my favorite size. Conquest class is a good mixture of Fantasy class layout and lots of choices. Alas, the Destiny class can't be called that anymore, but I like the size of the Triumph and Victory. But I'm heading back on the Sensation next month, and then the Elation in June. I'm looking forward to relaxing cruises, with fewer people and a hopping Promenade deck at night.

You appear to have a really fantastic attitude, and I have NO doubt you'll have a blast, no matter the class of ship!

Have a great time! Look forward to hearing about your first cruise experience!

I haven't had the ability to go on vacation for the last six years, so I'm just very much looking forward to getting away. Lumpy bed, dinged up cabinets, lukewarm food? Well... that is part of my everyday life. Nothing new there. Any improvement will be welcome!

As long as I'm not at work, I can see the ocean and someone lets me have a drink or ten, I'll be one happy cruiser!

On another note, I saw posted on John Heald's Facebook page that if the bed is worn out to notify guest services or your room steward and they will remedy that situation. I shall try this if the beds aren't very good.

I will certainly be doing as extensive of a review as I can on here. Planning on taking a lot of pictures. So be ready for a review laced with lots of pictures, lots of satire and if I'm any good at it, a little bit of humor.

I think the Elation is just pretty..the atrium rails etc..my only Fantasy class cruise has been the Paradise and like the Elation..6 years later, I still hear fabulous service things..the movie in the secondary lounge was one of my favorite things and the karaoke there and the great fixed seating dining at a big table with people who worked. OP..my bed was too hard and they but on a comforter under the top sheet for me...the sheets and duvet's and pillows are comfy. I had the old bathroom style and pink cabinets but loved the old ship nightlight panel in my inside room and old storage in bathroom above the sink..lacking in the remodeled rooms and old tile in shower made it seem bigger to me. They will keep a bucket of ice for you if you ask..you are going to have a blast..that Paradise cruise was after no vacations for a long time like you..I love your reasoning..you will love it even more the decor (some) is to copy a lot of even older styles...20's to 40's often ..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

They still feel like a ship. I found the Destiny (Sunshine) to be too crowded in the public areas. If I want a hotel experience, I will book one. When I want a cruise I prefer not to be piled up like sardines all the time. I really miss the Holiday size.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't say I swear by the Fantasy class ships, but they are good for what they are good for. They often do shorter long weekend-type voyages and are offered at rock bottom prices, so it is possible for me to cruise up to a half dozen times a year if I like, for what it would cost for one longer cruise on a mega ship. I like the character that the ships have, and from my feeling, many crew members enjoy working on these smaller ships and that is proven by the fact so many of them with lots of seniority continue to renew contracts on these ships instead of going to the larger vessels. They seem to have better attitudes also and provide better service. Although the bells and whistles of the new ships aren't there, there is still plenty of stuff to and enjoy on the smaller ships. They also are great ships for taking cruise newbies on, as they still are in awe of these giant things because they have nothing to compare the experience to and if they don't like it, they are not stuck on the ship for more than a few days anyway. Food-wise, at least for dining room sake, all ships are the same, minus the specialty stuff and things like Tandoor and Blue Iguana and Guy's but I can live without those places for a short cruise. I guarantee when these ships are finally retired, people will miss them even if they don't now. It's like an old airliner like a 727 or DC9/MD80 or 747. People complain that they are old, outdated, etc but they are vintage and unique and once they are gone, they are gone and all we are left with is the cookie cutter, very similar new ships that just don't have that same character and feel.

On another note, I saw posted on John Heald's Facebook page that if the bed is worn out to notify guest services or your room steward and they will remedy that situation. I shall try this if the beds aren't very good.

This brings up an important point.

When something is wrong, we need to report it, not just complain about it. The room stewards don't lie down on your bed (hopefully;) and don't know if the mattress is not just right. Some things that are broken are obvious; some are not

When I was on my recent Serenade of the Seas cruise, there was one computer panel (that gives menus, etc.) that was not working. After the second day, I reported this and it was immediately fixed. That is the sort of repair that is not obvious to the maintenance people.

Happy sails.

Kathy

I love them, they are much easier to Navigate. I will be going on 2nd 7 Day on Fantasy this year, I think that will a a total of 4 on that ship, I have probably done 3 on the Fascination. Also sailed the Glory, Sensation, Dream and first Cruise was on the now retired Celebration. I find the crew to be the best on the Fantasy, my favorite bartender told me it was the most desirable ship to be assigned to now that it cruises out of Charleston, because of the friendliness

of passengers. I admit I do like the atrium's on the larger ships, but with the Fantasy being so close and offering 7 day cruises, I can't justify flying or driving to Florida....gas, hotels, transportation, parking fees...I don't have to deal with any of that.

80% of my cruising with Carnival has been in Fantasy class ships. Easy deck plan to figure out, except for that aft MDR. Took 10 cruises to figure that one out.

Just off the Inspiration. Met up with two waiters that we've met in previous years on her. One we met four years ago and try to get her section every time.

Edited by SadieN

• 3 weeks later...
More often than not our Fantasy class cruise is going to be crazy and fun. I love the smaller size and the feel of the ship. The crowd is always out to have as much fun as possible in the short amount of time they'll be on board. I also love the layout of the public areas. Finally, the $10 store is fun to go through. I don't know when we'll be on the Inspiration or Imagination again, but I do know we're overdue!

$10 store? I'm intrigued.

My favorite part is the "wings". You know that little space on both side of the lido deck at the back where you can sit and eat. Less people but to me it feels crowded, being they are smaller. My favorites are the Conquest class and the Victory. Bigger and more people but more spread out. Sensation is my favorite fantasy class, she's our go to ship for short cruises.

Carnival Fantasy cruises out of Charleston, SC which is an extremely convenient port for us.

We would not fly or drive a long distance to cruise on a Fantasy Class ship.

LuLu

Totally agree. My daughter lives in Charleston, so that makes it extremely convenient for us. That is the only reason we sail the Fantasy. We are balcony people and we really miss it on these cruises.