What to do in St. John's

CruisinCadie

We have been to Antigua before and seen the British Navy sites, so we are thinking about exploring the city on our own. I heard the cathedral was closed for renovations. Is it open yet? Fodor's also recommends the Museum of Antigua and Barbuda. What else is there to see, or is that enough?

Thanks,

Kathy

While the ships tie up in the middle of St. John's, this is a not a port for exploring, there's virtually nothing to explore and parts of town are a bit grungy. You need to get out of town. See this board for all kinds of suggestions.

While the ships tie up in the middle of St. John's, this is a not a port for exploring, there's virtually nothing to explore and parts of town are a bit grungy. You need to get out of town. See this board for all kinds of suggestions.

Thanks for your advice, Doug. What else is there to see outside of town? Sun allergies limit our beach time so that's out unless there is a beach right at the port. As I recall, what's at the port is lots of shopping.

Kathy

• 4 weeks later...

Actually I did this on my own last November. It all depends on what you find grungy, and yes it is a town on a Caribbean island. Once you venture past the docks and tourist shops, you will find the real town. The cathedral was stilled closed so i did not go there, but just walked around the town, admittedly not really that far from the dock area, but away from the tourist shops.

I found a local supermarket (not the epicurian one), but just a regular little grocery, and found some great spices, and guava jelly. Also went into a local pharmacy to look for a Grendian product, which they knew of, but were out of stock, and while there, I found a bottle of local rum punch, and some coconut candy, both of which I brought back on board with me later. I also went into a market stall area, and got a t shirt at a decent price. Yes they all what you to look at their stuff, but just say no thanks I got something already, and they leave you alone.

I had gotten some local currency given back to me as change at the stores, and I did not know how much it was, so on the way back to the ship, I stopped into "Cheers" bar and asked if it was enough for a beer (:D I knew it was, but wanted to see what the bartender would say) He said, yes, enough for a local beer "including tip", so he was honest enough, and got a bigger tip for that. It was a decent little place though, and there was food too, but drank my beer and went on my way.

I think it is a nice Caribbean town, and I am a solo travelling female in my 50's, and never felt scared, even though I am a nervous nellie at times.

So glad I did explore a bit that day, it was an enjoyable day for me.:)