Maasdam A deck aft cabins - noise? Advice?

lupaglupa

My family has two cabins booked on the Maasdam (Boston to Montreal) this summer. My mother, who is treating us, very much wanted adjacent cabins and I wanted to be aft because her walking is very poor and it seemed she would have easiest access to the dining room etc using the aft elevators. Booking through HAL (over the phone) we got 2 cabins (830 and 832 - across from each other) on the A deck. I carefully asked the woman helping me about the noise as I understood these cabins are above the engine. She assured me that the cabins are several decks above the engine and there would be no noise. Now I have found some reviews stating the noise in this area of the A deck is awful - early morning thrusters that jolt everyone awake. Has anyone had experience with these rooms? Is it as awful as the reviewers have said? Any input would be appreciated.

Yes, the engines are multiple decks below deck A but the engines are felt in many places in the ship. You will see the flowers vibrating outside the front desk in the atrium. You will see things vibrate in the Main Dining Room at times.

At the location you gave, some noise will be intermittent, especially thrusters mostly occurring while docking which is usually in the morning, and leaving port usually in the afternoon or evening, but thruster noise is very short lived. The vibration will be more when the ship is moving, less when it's in port (because the engines still run to produce power) but could be low key pretty much always. Vibration will be worse when the ship is moving near its max speed.

It's a ship and it has noisy jobs to do. Up higher may be less mechanical noise but there may be noise from decks above for example Main deck outsides may have noise from walkers above them. Lower Promenade has noise from water hoses washing down the outside deck in the early morning. If you are under the galley you will have noise from carts rolling overhead. Last cruise on Maasdam we were forward on Lower Promenade deck and had noise form the show lounge but that would end by 11pm. Plus the noise of the anchor going out or being taken in.

I was in Maasdam 784 for 35 nights and had occasional but annoying noise from a hoist that was located under us, usually at about 6am for about 5-10 minutes. But I was in 792, on my first HAL cruise, just 2 doors down, and didn't have any noise.

So I always bring ear plugs and accept the benefits of wherever my room is located, because each location has pros and cons. If the aft rooms will not suite you then try for something different now, but factor in the new pros and cons of each location. m--

Thank you both for replying! I m fine with some noise - obviously nothing is noiseless. I had just gotten spooked by a few reviews that described significant interrupted sleep etc. I want my Mother to have a wonderful trip and I'll feel terrible if I put us in a bad cabin.