Clarification of Promotion of Third-Party, Cruise-Related Websites on Holland America

LauraS

• Administrators

Hello Everyone:

I'm sure you are all aware that Cruise Critic has very specific guidelines for our online community. Each one is designed to address issues that have come up over the years; and most are based on almost 20 years of history and experiences!

We have clear rules regarding advertising; including the advertising of cruise-related websites. We allow the sharing information found on third-party sites from time to time, but please understand that the final decision regarding whether a site can be shared remains solely at the discretion of Cruise Critic's Community Manager.

In addition to the above, we also have a guideline regarding the sharing of cruise-related hobby sites on the forums. We certainly want to be able to encourage our members to share sites they have created, but we clearly state that those sites be about chronicling their own personal cruise travel. We understand that the sites currently being shared on the Holland America forum are non-commercial in nature, however, the bottom line is that the behavior being witnessed on the forum is very promotional in nature and tone. There are repeated requests of our members for photos, information, updates, menus, daily activity info, etc. Instead of individuals answering questions directly on the forum, they merely point to a website du jour with calls to "see my site, I have a here!"

I've noticed that there are two (or more) different websites currently being promoted by members on the forum. Frankly, we are not interested in all the details regarding who did what to whom first, all we know is that the reported posts clearly indicate there is discord and disruption between those two groups that favor one site over the other.

At the current time, and until further notice, we are asking all participants on the Holland America Forum "get back to basics" and share your opinions, knowledge, reviews, pictures and any other cruise-related information by posting directly on the forum. If you have a cruise-related site that contains content other than your own personal cruise experiences -- and is not a site about a specific sail date created for one of Cruise Critic's roll calls -- we would like you to remove it from your online signature.

Our goal has always been to provide a haven on the web for cruisers; we value your participation here on Cruise Critic. We believe in our focus and mission, and at times we know our decisions do not meet with everyone's approval. If you have comments, please direct them to me at community@cruisecritic.com, and let's get back to the business of sharing/learning about cruising on this forum.

Edited by LauraS
  • Like 1

• LauraS unlocked this topic
  • LauraS unpinned this topic