Progressive Cruise Check In on Regal

stillabrownsfan

We will be on the Regal's Feb 22nd sailing. In the past, my husband and I have made sure to board the ship early so that we could enjoy lunch in the DR. I just printed our documents and it seems Princess is doing something differen this cruise, giving assigned check in times by the deck you are on. We are now scheduled to board between 1:30 - 2:30. Our Travel Agent called Princess and was told that they had no idea if there would even be lunch served in the DR, because of the Sail Away program. When the agent asked what would happen if we arrived early, she was told it would be up to the people there how they would handle it, but we would probably be told to wait until our assigned time. We are Platinum, so hopefully we could still wait in the priority boarding area. What have any of you experienced? Have any of you been able to board before your assigned time? It was always so nice to start the cruise with a relaxing lunch in the DR, do you know if that is no longer offered?

These are really suggested arrival times in the hopes that lines will be shorter that way.

Arrive when you want.

Unless there is something unusual, a dining room should be open for lunch from 12-1:30. Check the back of the Patter to see which one it is.

We will be on the Regal's Feb 22nd sailing. In the past, my husband and I have made sure to board the ship early so that we could enjoy lunch in the DR. I just printed our documents and it seems Princess is doing something differen this cruise, giving assigned check in times by the deck you are on. We are now scheduled to board between 1:30 - 2:30. Our Travel Agent called Princess and was told that they had no idea if there would even be lunch served in the DR, because of the Sail Away program. When the agent asked what would happen if we arrived early, she was told it would be up to the people there how they would handle it, but we would probably be told to wait until our assigned time. We are Platinum, so hopefully we could still wait in the priority boarding area. What have any of you experienced? Have any of you been able to board before your assigned time? It was always so nice to start the cruise with a relaxing lunch in the DR, do you know if that is no longer offered?

You are departing out of Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) most likely terminal 2 that is a mixed-use terminal (Cargo/Passenger) that was designed for use with ships the size of the first Pacific Princess (about 600 passengers). Sunday is a big day in Port Everglades with 6 or more ships and 20,000 or more passengers boarding.

Port Everglades is one of the few post 911 ports that cruise passengers actually pass thru port perimeter security check points to enter the port. You will experience delays entering the port (driving in) due to checkpoints and traffic. If you are entering the port using a Princess transfer this will be expedited however if entering by cab or private car a Sheriff will inspect your identification and cruise documents.

Once inside the port security perimeter you will experience more traffic delays getting to terminal 2. Once there drop your bags with the porters. Next, since you are platinum you will be in possession of a priority-boarding pass so keep to the right part of the line entering the terminal. That is the priority line - it looks as long outside but does not snake around inside the terminal going to the metal detectors/x-ray. Then the Ebola scare questioner - hint all the answers are NO. Proceed upstairs and to the Platinum check in line where you will get your ship's card in short order.

Progressive check-in is an effort on the part of Princess to deal with their inadequate facilities. The concept of asking people arriving from around the world to hit a one-hour check-in window is ridiculous on its face but Princess need to do something - anything - to try to act like they are dealing with their lack of terminal planning. Plan on arriving at the port about 11:00 - that should get you on the Regal about 12:00 to 12:30. If anyone asks you about progressive time frames show them your priority-boarding pass and tell them it does not apply to you. I have ignored it the last 3 boarding and no one has said anything.

Try the international cafe on deck 5 for lunch. The Regal is wonderful - you will have a great time. Be sure to write up your thoughts on progressive boarding on your cruise evaluation.