Making phone calls from the ship

I am looking for tips on how to keep in touch with home while we are on a 5 night cruise. I checked into our cell phone packages and it could be costly where we are going. I know the ship's phone costs $7.95/minute. Any ideas on something more economical? Thanks!

There are tons of phones in the port area right off the ships. The phones there are usually very cheap (compaired to the ship). Maybe you can set up with your family at home a specific time you will be calling on the days you are in port so you can be assured they will be there.

There are tons of phones in the port area right off the ships. The phones there are usually very cheap (compaired to the ship). Maybe you can set up with your family at home a specific time you will be calling on the days you are in port so you can be assured they will be there.

I was thinking about getting one of those prepaid phone cards to use at the pay phones but we will be at sea two of the days and hate to be out of contact for those days. I may have to pay the high cell phone or ship phone fees those days. Thanks for your reply.

The only way your cell phone will work on sea days is if you have Cinglular/AT&T and a GSM phone and are on one of the RCCL ships with the brand new cell systems.. only a few have it although more are expected to have it by year end. Not many Americans have GSM phones!

If you are traveling during hurricane season, we learned last year that the phone is definitely not the best way to keep in touch. If you didn't want to wait to send an email, faxing was the best way. We didn't have it set up on this end last year but this year we are going to have everything ready for faxing just in case we need it to have out airline tickets changed to different dates.

There are a few companies that rent satellite phones. We used one aboard Voyager last January. The phones are a little big and bulky to carry around, but you can use them anywhere you have a direct view off the sky. It cost us about $150 for the week. Not the best solution, but its another option.

The only way your cell phone will work on sea days is if you have Cinglular/AT&T and a GSM phone and are on one of the RCCL ships with the brand new cell systems.. only a few have it although more are expected to have it by year end. Not many Americans have GSM phones!

Actually most newer phones in the u.s are GSM it's just that people don't know it.I am going on Voyager next week and have a cingular phone.According to RCCL and cingular it should work.The trick here is to call your cell company to make sure you are set up for international calling.Cingular sets you up free and the calls are $1.49 a minute.I was going to buy a gsm phone until i talked to cingular and they told me my phone was a GSM-hence the part about people not knowing because i didn't.Hope this helps

Archived