Any luck changing specialty restaruants?

Atreidai

A hale and hearty hello to the collective mind out there!

My fiancée and I are planning a honeymoon cruise on Infinity in October (as our first cruise this is pretty exciting and reading all of the reviews here hasn't help to calm us down one bit!)

I am a chef by trade and we were both looking forward to the dining experiences to be had at the specialty restaurants on board. So much so in fact that we are quite ready to buy the 5 night specialty dining package for our 7 night cruise! That said, however, the package allots us 3 nights dining at SS United States, and 2 at Qsine. Most of the reviews I have read mentioned that Qsine is difficult to do with only 2 people since the plates are designed to be shared.

Not that I am against giving it a second go (we are certainly going to eat there at least once) but it sounds like we might not want another night in Qsine after the first. Thus my question...Has anyone had any luck switching the package reservations between the restaurants? I like long formal dinners and eating 4 nights at SS United States might be right up my ally!

Thanks for the input I know you all have!

Cheers,

Derek

PS we are signed up for our Roll Call, and will be siging up for our Get together onboard as soon as we have paid up in full and the Celebrity site allows us ;)

While it does not hurt to ask, in general people have reported that Celebrity generally does not permit you to change the restaurant allotment with the dining packages. Personally I find Qsine easier with two people than larger parties. Those stating that it is difficult with two people IMHO are likely those used to traditional appetizer/entree/dessert restaurants rather than the newer trend of shared plates format that many restaurants are currently using. Also since Qsine has whimsical presentations, some feel they are "missing out" if they do not order all/most dishes on the menu and hence feel a large party is preferable. Since the many of the dishes are on the small side, sharing with strangers or with a large party can be cumbersome. Doing two meals at Qsine might actually work perfectly (my wife and I chose to dine at Qsine twice during a previous cruise); the reason for this is it will allow you to try several different dishes across the two visits without feeling the need to overdo things - as well as to repeat a favorite dish or two. Since the server courses your order out at Qsine it ends up bring a lengthy, leisurely meal - just with a more casual, playful ambiance than SS United States; the two venues complement one another nicely.

We were able to switch around on our last TA on the Silhouette without any problem. But here is another suggestion. Try and get the ultimate dining package when you get on board(sometimes they are even have a table set up prior to boarding.

You can eat lunches and dinners wherever you want, as many times as you want. Might work better for you................I think it's $29 pp per day.

Helaine

Thanks so much for the replies!

Gonzo70- I didn't realize the portions were smaller at Qsine, that is good information, I like lots of small plates and that does indeed sound right up our alley for a 2nd nights worth of fun. The presentations at Qsine looked so cool I was hoping not to miss them, Using that 2nd visit to catch stuff you missed on the first run is a good call!

Hmorrow- Thanks for the info on the switches you made, it is nice to know that we at least might have the option if we really don't want one or the other (who knows Qsine might be such a blast we'll want to switch the other way!)

I have read just the faintest blurb about this "Ultimate Dining Package", it is not very well publicized on the Celebrity website. It does indeed sound like exactly what I am after on the dining front and I will indeed be looking out for that table! Probably right after I upgrade our 123Go drinks package to the Premium version! (If I cant manage to pull that off before we step on board...and I will try) Have you ever been able to set up the Ultimate dining package (or an upgraded drinks package) before all the hustle and bustle of boarding?

Thanks again guys!

Derek

If you are thinking of purchasing a 5-night package for a 7-night cruise, why not purchase the Ultimate Dining Package instead? It is only available to purchase on board but will allow you to eat in any specialty restaurant every day and is only $29pppn and includes unlimited visits to Bistro on Five.

[Oops, sorry, I did not realise that someone else had already recommended the package. The first place you can purchase the package is usually the specialty dining desk next to the suite check-in line. You will need to have checked in first to get you seapass.]

Edited by Project_gal

...Most of the reviews I have read mentioned that Qsine is difficult to do with only 2 people since the plates are designed to be shared....

This doesn't make much sense to me. We've dined there as a couple, as part of a small group, and as part of a larger group. I don't think the ease or difficulty of dining was any different. Perhaps with a larger group the service was a bit slower as they'd need to get all the plates of a serving ready at once.

As others have said Qsine is for the most part shared small plates. But they'll adjust the amount of food on the small plates, or the number of small plates, appropriately for the number of people so I really don't think the number of guests makes a huge difference in the dining experience as far as the food itself.

We book through Celebrity and always upgrade ourselves to the Premium drink package prior to boarding. For some reason our Celebrity planner had a hard time upgrading us, it might have been because she was trying to do it the same time we upgraded our cabin. I waited 24hours and called the Captains Club, not problem. Taken care of in a couple of minutes.

I have never booked through a TA but from reading CC, I think you have to go through your TA to upgrade the package.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again to everyone for reading this and sharing your experiences.

Lsimon- I have to admit it didn't make much sense to me when I read it either, Ive worked at "small plate" restaurants and we were more flexible (In my opinion) in dealing with a varying number of guests, and still able to get everyone a great variety of food. I am glad to hear that your experience at Qsine was the same, and apparently what we can look forward to!

Project_gal- I think that the Ultimate Dining Package is where we will be heading. Especially since breakfast/lunch at Bistro on 5 seems so appealing. The only reason I hadnt gone for it already is it's not being well publicized on the website (at least I seem to have missed it when Ive gone there) but that makes sense if they usually only sell it onboard. Have you had any trouble purchasing that Package on any cruises? I know I was a bit worried if I didn't get a Dining Package early enough that I wouldn't be able to get one (if they were popular and ran out?) or wouldn't be able to make a specific reservation if I wanted (Its a honeymoon cruise we might like at least 1 romantic dinner for 2 without any other guests at our table ;) )

Karpela- When I signed us up for our Roll Call I was hoping I could run into a few other folks to share some meals and maybe excursions with, its a nice feature to meet some folks that might have some similar interests and hook up with them before you have to "waste" valuable cruise time trying to make friends!

Again, great info folks and I appreciate your responses everyone!

Derek

Project_gal- I think that the Ultimate Dining Package is where we will be heading. Especially since breakfast/lunch at Bistro on 5 seems so appealing. The only reason I hadnt gone for it already is it's not being well publicized on the website (at least I seem to have missed it when Ive gone there) but that makes sense if they usually only sell it onboard. Have you had any trouble purchasing that Package on any cruises? I know I was a bit worried if I didn't get a Dining Package early enough that I wouldn't be able to get one (if they were popular and ran out?) or wouldn't be able to make a specific reservation if I wanted (Its a honeymoon cruise we might like at least 1 romantic dinner for 2 without any other guests at our table ;) )

There are only a limited number of Ultimate Dining Packages sold on any cruise and, on some cruises, it is not available at all but we have always been able to purchase the package on every cruise since it was introduced except our 5-night leg of our B2B but understand that they are never available on 5-night cruises. Like the Chef's Table, Celebrity do not need to give much publicity to anything that they do not sell many off.

We tend to arrive early at the port and purchase the package during check-in. The specialty dining desk is usually next to the suite check-in desk and I check in whilst my husband deals with the dining. Certainly saves time.

Perhaps, if you are concerned, you may wish to purchase the 5-night package and convert it to the Ultimate Dining Package when you board. The only problem with this may be if the price of the Ultimate Dining Package is lower than that of the 5-night package and, then, they may be reluctant to do the swap. Once you have the package, they do everything they can to accommodate your requests.