Neep Some Help With Dream!!!

CMOTO

NOLA is our beloved home.

If you are looking for some great places for wine before you cruise, check out Rouses Market in the Central Business District (CBD) at 701 Baronne Street and very close to the Port. Also, check out Martin's Wine Cellar a bit further away at 3827 Baronne Street. Baronne does not go "all the way through" so GPS it if you decide to go there as you will need a car if going to Martin's as it is to far to walk.

If you have a car, you might want to check out Dorignac's Food Center at 710 Veterans Memorial Highway in Metarie. There is also another Martin's Wine Cellar just west of Dornigac's on Veterans as well! If you don't have a car and don't want to drive all over the place, your best bet is Rouses in the CBD. You may see a Rouses if you are visiting the French Quarter but the one you want to go to is the CBD location. Anyway, all the places I have mentioned have extensive selections of wine and liquor as well as food, deli, cheeses, etc., for every wallet and every taste. From the very common to the very rare. You can't go wrong at any of these.

As for a cabin - I can't speak for the Dream but we have been on the Breeze in a Cove Balcony cabin and if I did all again on either ship I would grab a Cove Balcony again above all else! Amazing! Just don't get one under the galley due to possible noise from above.

Hope that helps a bit. Cheers and happy sailing!

We decided to stay at the Hampton Inn downtown, so hopefully, we will get to a store to buy our wine. We won't have a car as we are flying down. I don't know how close we are to the stores, but I'm sure that we will find something.

Thanks for all the info.

For Wine - If you are staying at the Hampton Inn on Carondellet, you are in the CBD and can walk to Rouses. No worries in the afternoon and a short walk over to the market.

FYI: The Streetcar goes up Carondellet and right by the hotel. It then turns towards west towards the river on Canal for 1 block and then heads south, back down St. Charles. The French Quarter is only a couple of blocks away off of Canal straight north from the Hampton Inn.

For another hotel choice look at the Hilton Riverside on Poydras Street which is basically right next to the Port, the Mississippi River and the Riverwalk shopping complex. They offer a special Cruise Rate with reduced parking.

The Hilton is a bit father from the Quarter but you are right there by the Port. From the Hilton it's 10-15 dollar cab ride to the center of all the French Quarter action. Have fun, be aware of your surroundings and don't fall for the "if I can tell you where you got your shoes will you give me some money" scam. Just walk away...Cause....You got your shoes on your feet on Bourbon Street! That's the answer...

• 2 weeks later...
I know we cant predict the weather, was just curious what others have experienced during those months.

We cruised on the a Dream in September 2014 (I believe our cruise left on the 28th). New Orleans was about to get a cool snap so it was relatively cool- I'd guess mid-high 70's? Low 80's? Definitely cooler than usual. It was grey and drizzly and I was afraid the whole week would be like that!

Key West was hotter than ANYTHING for some reason. We were roasting! The Bahamas was P E R F E C T. Warm, not hot. Water perfect. Blue skies,sunshine. I think we got lucky!

Edited by NOLAbebe

I kind of want to wait to see if the price goes down, or they will be having great deals because it is hurricane season!!

Remember: if you book an 'Early Saver' fare, and the price drops before your final payment is due, they will give you the lower price! That way you can book the room you want now, cross your fingers, and maybe get lucky without waiting until the last minute and getting stuck in a bad location. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Its been a few years since our last cruise. It was on the Elation for 5 days.

I need help with a few questions:

Planning on the Dream out of New Orleans.......2 adults.....this will be our 4th cruise (all Carnival)

1) August, September, or October?? Which one for better pricing, better weather, just all around better??

2) Does anyone have menus for the Dream that is recent??

3) Where is a good place to stay in New Orleans the night before that has free parking or will shuttle you over to the pier?

Also, plan on booking a Cove Balcony

We are planning on a 7 day cruise, this will be the largest ship to date that we have been on. Any other tips or helpful info about the Dream will be greatly appreciated!!

I'm sure I'll have more questions!!

Thanks in advance!! :)

I would say October or August either the first one August or the second one August 16. I fear hurrican season anything after that.

This will be my second time out of New Orleans. First time I stayed on St. Charles and this time I am as well. I got a hotel for $300 for two nights